Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Assessment of depression and anxiety associated with Covid-19

Hey peeps,

I have read a report that females have a higher risk of depression and anxiety compared to males when it comes to Covid19 infection. Any thoughts on this? Is it due to the women tend to overthink often than males?

I think women are more empathic, more about the entire family health and the health of those they love and men are more of a 'just walk it off' mentality

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Women are caretakers and nurturers. During the pandemic, many women have had to combine working at home with homeschooling their children, which creates extra stress. Single moms are pushed to their limit, and the pandemic just adds another step on the ladder to full anxiety and depression.

Women also comprise a large share of health care professionals, including in home care, so they are confronted with protecting their patients, themselves and their families from COVID or any other infections. I did that for my sons and my husband, and it was stress-inducing. If they were still here, I would be a wreck worrying about them getting COVID.

Domestic abuse cases have risen during the pandemic. Typically, women are the victims of that abuse. Trapped in their homes, possibly out of work, tensions increase, etc. More reason for women to be depressed and anxious.

Generally, men are not adept at expressing their feelings/emotions and talking about what is bothering them. They want to fix every problem, and they get frustrated when they can't fix something. Men are less likely to see a physician for a physical problem, let alone speak to a counselor or therapist about an emotional issue.

Jim and I used to laugh about Peyton Manning (former famous football quarterback) reacting to an injury: "Put some dirt on it."

Not, "Are you okay?" "Are you hurt?" "I'm sorry." Nope, just put some dirt on it. Of course, Peyton meant that as a joke, but it does speak to how men react to a medical situation.

If men were more open about their feelings, we might find that they are just as stressed out as women are about the pandemic.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

By nature, women are more emotional and they are more expressive compared to men. That is why they are more prone to being anxious, stressed out, and even depressed. I second that report.

Comment

I pity those women undergoing depression this pandemic, have you seen any program that may help them? I'm worried most for the women who have children.

Comment

The resources for mental health counseling are severely limited, apparently. Maybe a woman who is depressed could turn to crisis lines or other helplines for phone counseling sessions. Zoom sessions might work well if a person could find the right therapist?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
              The resources for mental health counseling are severely limited, apparently. Maybe a woman who is depressed could turn to crisis lines or other helplines for phone counseling sessions. Zoom sessions might work well if a person could find the right therapist?

I'm on the process of finding a therapist. Lack of mental health counseling maybe one of the reasons why we have high suicidal rates. But, as woman, how do you face COVID without fear?

Comment

Just to add, recently, they are looking ways to get children below 17 years old be vaccinated. Have any thought of this?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetChoco View Post

I'm on the process of finding a therapist. Lack of mental health counseling maybe one of the reasons why we have high suicidal rates. But, as woman, how do you face COVID without fear?
                  Well, as one of my neighbors put it when COVID first became a problem, "We've all got to go some time." I'll take reasonable precautions but if COVID singles me out, I'll do what I can to get over it. I've had a couple of bad bouts of flu years ago and my impression is that COVID can make you feel even worse than that. Not being able to breathe is the pits. But sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof....

Being afraid isn't going to help any.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetChoco View Post
                    Just to add, recently, they are looking ways to get children below 17 years old be vaccinated. Have any thought of this?
                    Offhand, I'd say they probably should be vaccinated, but I've heard that not enough is known about how the vaccine will work with children under a certain age. When they get through studying it, they'll probably come up with a vaccine for children, and I hope they will do that soon because not enough adults have been vaccinated so far.

Comment

Hey there! That's definitely a concerning report about the higher risk of depression and anxiety for women during the Covid-19 pandemic

Comment

While the exact reasons for this might vary, people must take care of their mental health during these trying times.If you're looking for a natural way to help combat anxiety and depression, have you heard of kratom? It's recently become legal and is considered a healthy option. Some folks swear by it for managing their mental health symptoms.
                        Last edited by Moderator #2; 02-14-2023, 05:40 PM. Reason: Removed sentence with link.

Comment

Welcome, Eallamyld!

Comment

Hello, Eallamyld.

Speaking for myself only, I would stay at least a mile away from kratom.

Kratom | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Comment

Anyone with mental illness should stay far away from Kratom particularly if you are med sensitive and tend to get suicidal as a starting side effect. Even many of the hallucinogens are safer than that. I am currently working with a mentor for psilocybin treatment for my med resistant depression and anxiety. Amazingly the mind work that goes with it has even curbed my pain levels. I am currently happier than I’ve been in decades and the nice thing is you can’t even tell you’ve taken a sub perceptual dose.

Comment

Working...
                              X