No announcement yet.

March Chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ann, I'm still a big NO on getting the vaccinations, but the J&J vaccine is a good step forward.
    Last edited by Howie; 03-08-2021, 05:07 PM.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Howie, what does a big step mean, if you are still saying "no" to the vaccine? Just curious.

Ann, the blouse is plain. I was disappointed that I couldn't find one I like that had cuffs. He will not have a problem. Please tell him "not to worry".

Linda, thanks for the name of the 3 books. I have copied them off and plan to get them. I have not done audible because I just enjoy the peace and quiet when I read. I am sure some day I will try it, but I love to hold the book even if it is my kindle I am holding. I read yesterday afternoon and I felt so peaceful I just put the kindle down beside me for a minute. I am not sure what time that was, but I woke at 6:05P.M.

Ann, you mentioned your weather being 60degrees. Ours is very sunny and bright and 70. It does cool off at night.

Everyone sleep well.
      Virginia

Comment

I think Peter could easily move up to ruffles and cuffs! This could be a learning experience for him....

Virginia, I took Howie's statement about the vaccine to mean that the J&J vaccine was a great step forward towards persuading him to get the vaccine but maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

Linda, I'm making a note of the titles of those books and planning to get hold of them. The best way to find interesting books seems to be from suggestions from other people.

Did I mention that my son and DIL set up a Little Library in their yard? It is quite popular, and surprisingly came through the icestorm just fine. The tree fell near it but not on it.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Littlest Libraries are our best source of books. There are three on our usual walk and two more if we go a round-trip mile. We are amazed at the variety.

Our library is four blocks away but has been closed.

I was also given a list of things that could account for my symptoms: MS, seizure of some sort, unnamed virus, brain tumor and one other that I can’t remember. I just remember that there were five things. MRIs had not been invented yet so my work up had a CT scan instead and those were new.

Good news: no brain tumor! The doc went with “an unknown virus” saying “you’ll probably never have a problem again.”

ANN
          Last edited by stillstANNding; 03-09-2021, 02:52 AM.
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Virginia, I'm waiting on a one dose pill, 100% effective, with no side effects.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
              Howie, what does a big step mean, if you are still saying "no" to the vaccine? Just curious.

Ann, the blouse is plain. I was disappointed that I couldn't find one I like that had cuffs. He will not have a problem. Please tell him "not to worry".

Linda, thanks for the name of the 3 books. I have copied them off and plan to get them. I have not done audible because I just enjoy the peace and quiet when I read. I am sure some day I will try it, but I love to hold the book even if it is my kindle I am holding. I read yesterday afternoon and I felt so peaceful I just put the kindle down beside me for a minute. I am not sure what time that was, but I woke at 6:05P.M.

Ann, you mentioned your weather being 60degrees. Ours is very sunny and bright and 70. It does cool off at night.

Everyone sleep well.
              Virginia,
              I like to hold the book, have a pen in my hand to underline lines I like...etc. but my eyes give me too much trouble. I have had to train myself to listen and it has been a serious process. But interesting. I set the timer to stop after 15 minutes and if my mind has wandered off I go back and listen again. It is surprising what my mind does....

Learning to listen to what people are saying to me is a skill I have lost so I think audible is helping with that.
              Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

No need to hang your head in shame, my friend! My inbox hasn't always been well kept! There were many times, when it got away from me, and it would take hours to go through the years of emails on my old iMac. Once I was able to hone it down to a manageable amount, I endeavored to keep it that way.

I remember looking at old emails and wondering why I didn't delete them immediately. I must have thought that I might go back to them, which I never did.

ANN ~

How exciting to start your garden! I hope that good weather will continue for you, and you have an excellent crop.

I am sure that I could learn to use an iPhone. I just don't want to spend that much money on a phone. I have a brand new iMac and a fairly new, recently updated iPad, so I can do all of the things you mentioned on them.

I use the flip phone primarily to text two people daily, and others, when they get in touch with me. I rely on emails for longer communication. I have a landline, so I don't use my cell phone in the house, unless we have a power outage. I don't and never will travel. I haven't been anywhere, even locally, since November 2019.

So, I don't really have a need for a Smart/iPhone. This flip phone will suit my needs, as it has for over 20 years now.

When John brought his friend to look at Jim's tools, we were talking about phones for some reason, and I laughed telling this young man, "I have a Dumb Phone, close to a flip phone, but with a slide out keyboard. I'm so dial up!" He thought that was hilarious! He even made the sounds of dial up internet. Remember those? The squealing, squeaking, buzzing, etc.? So annoying. Glad that's gone!

Sunshine ~

Thinking of and praying for you and your loved one every day. Healing energy on the way ~

Sending prayers for all as always ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

He even made the sounds of dial up internet. Remember those? The squealing, squeaking, buzzing, etc.? So annoying. Glad that's gone!
                  Oh yes! And weren't there messages letting you know how the connection was progressing? Was one something like "shaking hands with server"?
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Agate, your memory amazes me.

Linda, you make a good point regarding learning to listen again. I know that at times I have that problem, so I will keep this in mind.

Rose, there is one question I would like to know about your internet and any other digital gadgets you might use. Not saying you are not right on this, but it is about Wifi. When I needed Wifi for a new Kindle I got if I used it in another part of my house, I called Spectrum. The man asked what kind of modem I had. I told him I had no idea, that it just sits right under my computer hutch and I explained what it looked like and how many lights it had. He told me to go in another part of the house far away from the modem and see if I could read on my kindle. I could, so I guess I had had Wyfi all along and had not realized it, or he turned something on.

Now, my question to you (again out of just curiosity) is what do you have against Wyfi? I understand if you just feel you don't want to pay a possible extra cost, but I am just plain curious, because I don't even know I have it, but I have all along. Just a wondering mind!!
                    Virginia

Comment

The red -winged blackbirds are back! I had my first one of 2021 today. :-o

ANN
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Sam, settle down, you're not having any birds for dinner!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Some cats can go after a bird so fast that they'll have had it for dinner by the time anyone can stop them. Sam doesn't go out much though, does she?

Guess Sam will have to take whatever chow is being served and be grateful for it.

Virginia, I've had a similar experience about WiFi. I thought I chose the DSL modem instead of WiFi at the time when I signed up for CenturyLink service but I've noticed that WiFi seems to be on there anyway. Sometimes my desktop PC seems to be running on it, in fact, because that's the symbol that is showing up. And I wouldn't be able to use my iPad here in this apartment without it. If I take the iPad to some other location, like a doctor's office, I can't be online unless I get a password from the doctor's office but some of them have the password posted where people can see it at the front desk--so they can hook up to the Internet on their devices while waiting. But I can definitely use the iPad here at home, and it must be because CenturyLink is also providing WiFi.

There's a WiFi symbol on my modem and it's always lit up. At the time when it was installed, the technician said that it was for my wireless devices. I guess the iPad is my only wireless device.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Yes, I think I do recall messages indicating that the computer was shaking hands with the server. That's what the noises represented. Those noises were so loud and annoying. I'm glad technology advanced beyond them!

Virginia ~

I know for a fact that I don't have WiFi, as my computer, iPad, and printer will not work with WiFi.

The primary reason why I don't have WiFi is because it would require extensive replacement of all of our cables, which needs to be done anyway eventually. We have two attics, and access to both of them is in the office walk-in closet upstairs. Access to one of the attics is through the closet ceiling.

Jim converted the office closet into a shelving and storage space. On one side, he installed upper and lower cabinets. The lower cabinets have a countertop, on which we have a small refrigerator, the coffee maker, and the orange juicer (which is now in the kitchen). The office was our retreat on our breaks from caregiving for our boys, so we had snacks and beverages for our brief interludes. It was also our time to be on the computer together or to watch something on TV. We had TV monitors also in Jon's and Michael's rooms, so we could keep an eye on them.

To access the other attic, those cabinets have to be removed. Once the cable replacement is complete, the office closet will have to be put back together.

The cable technician won't be allowed to remove anything, so John will have to do that, and it's a big job. Actually, he will need a helper, because I can't lift or carry anything heavy or awkward. Where to put the cabinets during the cable replacement is another dilemma.

I have so many really important projects, which need to be done inside and outside, that going through all of that to get WiFi is at the bottom of my priority list.

My energy and tolerance for disruption is extremely low. I remember the stress and chaos of the deconstruction/reconstruction of our home immediately after Jim passed. I know that I am not able to go through anything that intense yet.

As Jon's Second Angelversary and Jim's First Angelversary approach next month, I continue to confront painful memories and a yearning for my Angels. My resources are on the low end these days. I must conserve them to attend to immediate issues to reduce my stress.

Nothing is more stressful than grief. It is the Number #1 stressor, according to numerous studies. So, I have to recognize what I can let go of until I get my bearings.

Our home is deteriorating, and I'm surprised that the HOA hasn't sent me a scathing warning letter about the giant tree, the gutters, the need for exterior renovation. On the odd occasion, when I see my neighbors, they wave, but their eyes reveal pity. How well I know that look, as I saw it so many times, when people looked at Jonathan and Michael. They didn't want that. I don't want that. No one wants that.

So, there is my lengthy response to why I object to WiFi at least for now.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I do understand Rose. You may have explained this before and my brain gets foggy and I forget things. I am sorry you are having such a bad time right now. I knew that April is your really bad month. I hope that you can feel better. It is just an awful time to go through.

I also realize now that your home is older than mine. My house was 28 years old in February and I thought that was old, and it begins to present problems, but I do understand that yours is older. I don't even know where the cables are in my house. I have a walk in attic, so I can see everything in there, but I have no technical knowledge about anything. You are more tech savvy because I have never had any interest in that part of anything.

Please take care of yourself and do not overdo during this time. We all wish we could help, but all we can do is be here.
                              Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                                Agate, your memory amazes me.

Linda, you make a good point regarding learning to listen again. I know that at times I have that problem, so I will keep this in mind.

Rose, there is one question I would like to know about your internet and any other digital gadgets you might use. Not saying you are not right on this, but it is about Wifi. When I needed Wifi for a new Kindle I got if I used it in another part of my house, I called Spectrum. The man asked what kind of modem I had. I told him I had no idea, that it just sits right under my computer hutch and I explained what it looked like and how many lights it had. He told me to go in another part of the house far away from the modem and see if I could read on my kindle. I could, so I guess I had had Wyfi all along and had not realized it, or he turned something on.

Now, my question to you (again out of just curiosity) is what do you have against Wyfi? I understand if you just feel you don't want to pay a possible extra cost, but I am just plain curious, because I don't even know I have it, but I have all along. Just a wondering mind!!

I have wifi and that blinking modem works throughout the house. Upstairs and downstairs. Very rarely is there an interruption. I need landline which runs the security in our buildings so wifi is just part of the service. Not sure what/if I am paying extra.
                                Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Working...
                                X