No announcement yet.

March Chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's that clucking sound? I wish they would hold it down. I'm at home on my cell phone, but can hardly hear it!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Rose, I think you have Spectrum e-mail. I had several thousand sitting in my in-box. I knew they were junk. So, anyway lately I have been clearing them out little by little. I am amazed at how fast it has gone. I am down to about 450. I'll get those in a few days. With your new Mac I doubt that you transferred yours over. If you didn't and started with a new slate just keep doing a few every day or two and you will keep it cleared out.
      Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

You will be safer, if you take your phone with you when you go out. And, we will all feel a little better knowing you are safer. Clucking over and out!

Virginia ~

I'm using Spectrum webmail, so all of my email activity is on the site, regardless of what computer/device I use to access it. I have numerous folders, so I move emails to the appropriate folder, which reduces the amount of emails in my in-box significantly. I also delete many emails everyday. So I have about 95 emails currently in my in-box, because I haven't gone through all of them to move them to their folders.

I tend to leave emails in the in-box thinking I will respond to them or to keep a chain of communication in tact.

My goal is to set up Mac mail with Spectrum, so I can return to it. I would like to transfer all of the Spectrum web emails to the Mac mail, but I don't know whether that will be possible.

I backed up my old Mac and transferred the backup to my new Mac. I think I may have even backed up my old Mac email, which would be wonderful. That's historic from 2011.

Computer maintenance can be tiring and tedious, so congratulations to you for your accomplishment!

Healing, positive energy and prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

It's hard to believe that it is already March. Time flies more quickly it seems the older I get.

My very old cell phone finally fizzled out. I ordered a Coolpad Snap phone as its replacement. It's a flip phone, but it is not similar to the phone I had, which has a slide out keyboard. This has numbers, which have to be touched to get the alphabet. One touch for "a", two touches for "b", three touches for "c." I don't think I've ever had a phone like this, and if I did, I can't remember it.

John visited to insert the SIM card, battery and get it up and running. He gave me a demonstration of how to use it, after his memory of his flip phone days returned. I need to practice, because it's a bit confusing at the moment. It didn't come with an instruction guide, so I'm depending upon the internet and YouTube videos.

For those, who might be wondering why I chose a flip phone ~ I don't need a smart phone, or iPhone, with the thousands of apps and internet access. I use the cell to call in emergencies, when I am not near my landline, such as on my walks, or when I was at the hospital with one of our boys, and Jim was at home, or when I was with Jim at his appointments and called John to pick us up. I use it primarily for texts now since I'm at home all the time, and that is generally only to John and another very dear friend.

I can take photos with it, but I haven't taken a photo of anything for almost a year.

I didn't see the point of spending a wad of money on an iPhone for just those uses. I have a brand new iMac and a fairly new iPad, which John recently updated for me, because I don't have WiFi. And yes, I don't have WiFi ... everyone thinks that I am a dinosaur. To get WiFi, I need to have all of the old cables removed and replaced, which is a project that could take several hours and major disruption in my home with techs in and out. Also, I have to rip out all of the cabinets in the office closet for access to one of our two attics. I've lived all of these years without WiFi, and I still managed to stay connected with the outside world.

Once I get used to this new flip phone, I'll master it. It can't be any more difficult than the iMac or iPad for me to figure out.

John also cleaned the pond pumps and refilled the pond. He is so wonderful to me, and I don't know what I'd do or where I would be without him. It is comforting to know that he will be here for me any time for any reason, and that he loves me and Jim, Jon, and Michael and misses them as I do.

He will stop by on Wednesday after the cases of water are delivered to pick up a couple of cases for his family. I sent him home with a dozen fresh oranges, which I order from a ranch nearby. Everyone loves these oranges, so it's always a nice thank you gift. The first thing I do each morning is make fresh squeezed orange juice. Great way to start the day!

Virginia ~ We had a holistic vet for our cocker spaniel, who recommended a diet of real food, like that which your brother prepares for his dogs. Our Bonnie loved her meals. And when I cooked, she was at my feet, waiting for an errant carrot or green bean to fall to the floor. Our vet also offered freeze-dried home cooked meals for purchase, and that made our lives a bit easier. Your brother's dogs are very fortunate to have real food as their main form of nutrition.

Sending lots of good vibrations, hugs, loving thoughts, healing prayers to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Hey Rose, I'm at least half your age and I love flip phones and hate WIFI. I have a phone that works like yours in regards to texting. Just wait for the little curser to show up and be patient. Once you learn the pattern of numbers to letters it's easy. To find the instructions online type in the brand and model and "model" after it in google and the manual should show up.

I was just forced to get a Smart TV and it's so weird to have a TV that works and mostly looks like a computer. Luckily I was able to disable the TV WIFI and use it like a regular cable TV. LOL. Anybody have Smart TV tips? LOL.
          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

funnylegs, I hope someone will have some smart TV tips for you. I have a very dumb TV and so can't be of much help.
            Last edited by agate; 03-05-2021, 10:25 PM.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

agate ~

AAA is the first call I always make whenever the van breaks down. In the last few years, I called AAA for a flat tire and a dead battery. Both were replaced on our driveway.
              Thankfully, I wasn't on the road. I wouldn't even think of not carrying my cell phone, when I go out on the road.

I also carry my cell phone on my walks, because I don't have a life line/alert. For that reason, I now carry it in my pocket around the house. I also bring the landline phone into the bathroom now.

So, Howie, the hens agree that you should carry your cell with you when you go out.

Virginia ~

It's great that your phone can provide you with all of those conveniences. I haven't been in a grocery store for over 3 years, as I've been using Instacart. Actually, I haven't been anywhere away from home since early November 2019.

So for me, I don't need a smart phone with all of their great features.

I am learning the new flip phone, as my dear friend, who helps me with all things, including my techno devices, found a site with directions on how to text on a flip phone. I think I'll be fine with it as I get used to it.

John visited today. First he put in new lightbulbs in the ceiling light on the stair landing upstairs. I have gone without this light on the stairs for a couple of months, because I just feel like I'm an imposition. Of course, he corrected me on feeling that way today. He told me that he needs to know that I am safe, and that not having light on the stairs presents a risk for me. I know. That's why I asked him to put the bulbs in today.

Jim used to say the same thing to me about using the stair light. I can turn it on/off from upstairs or downstairs. If he saw me coming down the stairs without the light on, he would beg me to turn on the light the next time.

While John changed the bulbs, I cleaned the shade, which Jim selected many years ago. It is stained glass. The last time the bulbs were changed, and the shade was cleaned, Jim and I did it together. So you can imagine how many years ago that is.

Then, John attended to Michael's pond, as this morning the waterfall stopped. The pump had become disconnected from the pond outlet. He cleaned out some debris and suggested that he drain and clean the pond and pumps in the next week or so.

Then, he took the trash bins out to the curb. He'll return tomorrow to bring the bins back up to the side yard.

While upstairs, I showed him Jim's amplifier, which is simply gathering dust all these years. He said he would give it to his friend, who also is interested in Jim's tools.

Parting with memories is difficult. But I have found that it is more difficult to look at them and know they are unused. John and I agree that Jim would really like this young man and want him to use everything to make music, build, and be creative.

Familiarity is comfortable. Change is painful, but with change, there can be growth.

Healing energy and prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Rose,
              I have a friend who came over this morning to replace a fan belt in the greenhouse and, as long as he was here, he replaced an outdoor bulb that really makes a difference to me. Once it is spring he will lower all the outdoor lights so I can reach them to replace bulbs. The lights will not spread and cover as much area as before but that is minor.

Inside the house I have put lots of those old fashioned pole lamps (3 lights on each) and no longer worry when an overhead light goes out. Little things but so important.
              Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

I have received two orders today. One was my one new white blouse I wanted for this Spring and Summer. Now I have to wash it and get it ready for Peter to iron.

The other item was a new non-stick frying pan. I needed this and was so glad it came today. I am going to have blackened salmon tonight, so I will be trying it out. It is an 8 inch and the 8 inch I have is very old and not non-stick. Don't know why I waited so long to order this. If the blackened salmon is as good as the bourban glazed was I will not complain at all.

Going to read a little this afternoon.
                Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                  I have received two orders today. One was my one new white blouse I wanted for this Spring and Summer. Now I have to wash it and get it ready for Peter to iron.

The other item was a new non-stick frying pan. I needed this and was so glad it came today. I am going to have blackened salmon tonight, so I will be trying it out. It is an 8 inch and the 8 inch I have is very old and not non-stick. Don't know why I waited so long to order this. If the blackened salmon is as good as the bourban glazed was I will not complain at all.

Going to read a little this afternoon.
                  Virginia,
                  I am mostly listening to unabridged Audible books because my eyes have so many problems. But I just listened to 3 really great book.
                  The Music Shop and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry both by Rachel Joyce and today I finished Kara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. Three really great books that are important, fun, well written and profound.

All 3 totally occupied my thinking and made me chuckle out loud as I explored..
                  Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

funnylegs4 ~

Thank you for sharing that even young folks can like flip phones and hate WiFi. Whenever I tell someone that I don't have WiFi, they look at me aghast, "You don't have WiFi?!!!!!" People are shocked and wonder what is wrong with me.

I've been using a computer for at least 22 years without WiFi. I've used my iPad without WiFi, as well as my cell phone. I do have a Smart TV, and no WiFi, and it works just fine. The Smart TV is not connected to the computer, so I can't access the internet on it. But I don't need to access the internet on the TV, because I have an iMac and iPad.

I have Googled the flip phone, as have my dear friend and John. I've read and seen everything now. I'm texting more and improving. Eventually, I will become adept at it.

Linda ~

I have 3 accessible lamps at the bottom of the stairs, but the only light to illuminate the top of the stairs is the ceiling light. I don't think I would be able to get enough illumination on the top of the stairs with a pole lamp. John is replacing the bulbs with ones intended to last 15 years. If that's the case, then I won't have to worry about replacing them for quite awhile.

Virginia ~

I ordered two new pans yesterday. Delivery was supposed to be today, but they'll arrive tomorrow or Monday. Like you, I don't know why I waited so long to replace them. My pans are The Green Pan:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

This will be my third set of 8" and 10" Green Pan fry pans. We got our first set in 2008. I still have the first set for those occasions, when I needed more than one skillet/saute pan. Although worn, they are still useable.

How was your blackened salmon? Hope you enjoyed it.

Stay safe and be well everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I have numerous folders, so I move emails to the appropriate folder, which reduces the amount of emails in my in-box significantly. I also delete many emails everyday. So I have about 95 emails currently in my in-box, because I haven't gone through all of them to move them to their folders.
                      Rose, you put me to shame. Until I attacked some of them today, I had 1,100 e-mails sitting in the inbox unopened. I just got rid of over 100 of them but they do pile up. That has been typical for years. I gave up on keeping them pared down to fewer than 100, which I had set as a goal for myself a while back. It just wasn't happening.

Yes, I have folders and I put any e-mails I want to save in them immediately. But I still have quite a few e-mails. I keep unsubscribing to e-mails I don't have any use for, and that does help cut down on them.
                      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                        What's that clucking sound? I wish they would hold it down. I'm at home on my cell phone, but can hardly hear it!
                        You might be hearing more of it. It's what can happen when you haven't said anything here in 3 days.

Comment

The cat's got my tongue.
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Sam! Give it back!

ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Ouch! She has to always bite down before she lets go! Darn cat!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Good morning! I hope it is sunny where you are. It’s sunny and birds are chirping here and I have had a mockingbird at the feeder for several weeks. I guess he has just been listening but today he started to sing - mocking other birds.

I’m excited to start planting - peas against the fence and radishes, kale, and spinach and garlic chives in the low tunnel to start. We are going to have a string of days near 60 but the nights will be cold. And we could still get snow.

Rose- about phones - I had a flip phone I carried in town in case I needed to call a taxi or for an emergency and I used it to call Mom and Joy from vacations. I took Joy with me to San Francisco via email, photos on Peter’s computer and a daily phone call on the flip phone. It was a very cheap T-mobile phone ( under $30) and worked everywhere from Portland and San Francisco to Pennsylvania and Cape Cod. It would not work in or near my house, though. :-(

An iPhone changed my life - I’m sure it could have been any smart phone. I was able to do emails from my recliner or couch instead of going upstairs to my computer. I use it for weather for the whole family, tv schedules for me and my mom, lists, recipe folder, newspapers, meditation apps and text.

I’ve FaceTimed with Mom and Peter. He has shown me cities he’s at for conferences and toured me around his hotel rooms. He’s taken me to fancy dinners. The camera for still pictures and video is great.

All the shopping things that I now do on an iPad, I first did on my iPhone. I’m on my third. Mom has my second and learned to use it with no experience at almost 90.

Linda - so happy planting season is here. I sent two of the books you mentioned to Mom and they will arrive today. Thank you.

Agate, I hope you can get the vaccine soon and I am sorry you have to go through those inspections.

Virginia, I hope your new blouse is pretty plain. Peter does not do ruffles or fancy cuffs - he says he doesn’t understand them. Otherwise you’re good.

Random- please come home soon. Lots to do in the greenhouse.

Howie, any chance you are rethinking the CoVID vaccine? Maybe a one dose shot?

Sunshine, I often think of you - the food, the swimming, the challenges, your perseverance.

Parsi, Jendi, Dar, SuzE et al: Hello out there.

ANN
                                Last edited by stillstANNding; 03-08-2021, 07:58 AM.
                                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Working...
                                X