No announcement yet.

Can COVID-19 vaccines be mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virginia, this idea about "step therapy" makes no sense to me. I've heard of some of the riskier MS drugs, maybe Tysabri or Ocrevus (I'm not sure which ones), requiring that the person have tried other MS drugs first--usually one of the interferons, I think, and I guess it's because someone has decided that people shouldn't be on these riskier drugs unless they've already tried and failed with the less risky drugs (or maybe just with one of them).

But Rebif is always mentioned as part of the ABCR or CRAB drugs, if you recall? The magic 4 that were offered to people with MS routinely? Rebif was known as a lot like Avonex except that it wasn't quite, and Betaseron was a bit like both of them, and Copaxone was in a class by itself because it's not an interferon but neurologists kept telling me that "all of those drugs do pretty much the same thing" and so the patient could just pick one.

I never heard any reason why Rebif was a drug that you could only move "up" to after trying other MS drugs. Is it possible that whoever spoke to you on the phone was misinformed?

I'm betting that the place you were talking to (the insurance people?) have a system where their phone-responders read their replies from a script. Lots of places do this, I understand. I had a helper a while back who told me about what it was like to work for Social Security answering its calls. She said she was given a big book of possible questions with the scripted answers there for her to read aloud to the caller. She was expected to do this and not use her noggin to adapt the answer to the individual caller's question. I think that this absurd practice must lead to a lot of misinformation being given out.

agate ~

I wonder how the residents in your building are being exposed to COVID. I pray that you and your neighbors remain safe.
    Thank you, Rose.

This building has 58 units but 60-some residents because some units are occupied by married couples. I'm not surprised that there are some COVID-19 cases.

Each person who rents an apartment here gets a key to the building's front doors (7 of them, all on one key) and a key to the apartment. That person can duplicate those keys and hand them out to people of his/her choice. Usually the keys go to helpers and/or family members but you never know. All of these people with keys can just come and go as they please.

Of course most are trying to visit only when absolutely necessary but I've seen quite a few people who don't live here getting on and off the elevator. I'm sure that transmission is possible. Most of us use the same laundry room, elevator, halls, and get our mail at the same location. All of these places are possible human contacts. What with most people here so hard of hearing that everyone is in the habit of staying fairly close to people they're talking to, the social distancing isn't going to be perfect.

Virginia, thank you for your concern too. Rest assured--I don't see much of anyone. I give empty cans and bottles to a couple of neighbors for recycling about once a week and sometimes exchange a few words while doing that, or meet someone in or near the laundry room and talk for a few minutes. The grocery delivery person comes once a week and we might chat for less than 5 minutes. Packages are often just left outside my door or out in the building entryway--I don't often see the delivery person, and I've noticed that I no longer am asked to sign for packages.

Yes, the people with COVID-19 are reported to be in quarantine for a few weeks, staying in their apartments. The one I know rarely left her apartment anyway and so that wouldn't be so hard for her but I have no idea who the other two are.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

I'm with you on your insurance trying to dictate which drugs you should be taking or in what order. Also, how long have you been taking Rebif? Continuity of care is a primary concern here. I'm so sorry you have to go through so many hassles for everything.

Of course, I pray that John doesn't get COVID, and thank you for your prayers. We discussed this today, when he visited to try to fix Jon's recliner for me. I saw an interview with an expert physician today, in which he discussed wearing 2 masks instead of one now. He recommended KN95 masks, and said that they are available on Amazon (and they are). They are the next best thing to the N95 masks, which medical caregivers wear. They have 5 layers of protection. I want John to have these masks.

I asked John about when he could get the vaccine, and he replied that at this point, he isn't sure whether he is considered an "essential worker." Of course, he is! It's just crazy in California right now.

We talked about the snow stranded vaccinators in Oregon, who had left over vaccines and went car to car asking if people wanted to be vaccinated. Otherwise, it would go to waste. Many people declined, but a few said, "Sure!" One man reportedly took off his shirt and jumped out of his car!

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

Apparently, what I reported earlier about J&J dropping their vaccine was incorrect. Here is the latest news:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It will be a couple of months (or so) before J&J rolls out their vaccine, so it's probably wise not to wait for it to be available, if the current vaccines are accessible.

agate ~

Your acts of kindness always touch my heart. Bless you for helping others.

Your observations about how your neighbors may have contracted COVID are more than educated guesses. You do have contact, however infrequent, and you live in proximity to each other. Plus visitors or careproviders coming into your community bring more potential for exposure.

My prayers are with you to remain safe and that you'll be able to have the vaccine soon.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Today, I have seen several news stories about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on TV. Here is today's news about it:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

We are in such a mess, we can certainly use all the help we can get.

Virginia ~

Did you get your vaccination today? I hope all went well for you and your brother.

Sending prayers and healing energy to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Been vaccinated Rose. I told the nurse it didn't even pinch. My youngest brother who took me was so sweet. He insisted on holding my hand and getting me up my steps when we came home. He called today with something he had worked out in his mind that he thought would help me get up and down the steps. His mind just goes a million miles an hour.

He also told me I need some tennis shoes that are flat and slip on. He says they are comfortable and kind of stretch and are not real tight on your feet. He thinks they will help me. I ordered a pair tonight. He thinks my shoe soles are too slippery. I guess he had an opportunity to watch me try to get around more than he usually does. I ordered some sketchers. I had no idea what kind to get, but can send them back if they don't work.
          Virginia

Comment

Virginia, I love my Sketchers! My physiatrist recommended a shoe with a gel foam sole. I think you’ll love them.

AN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Virginia ~

I have lost track of the COVID posts here and there, but I did read your post about getting your vaccine. I'm glad that wheelchairs were available to save you from the long walk.

Your brother is so thoughtful, and I'm glad that he noticed your shoes. I have Sketchers slip on mules just to go outside to take out trash. But I don't have the weather conditions you contend with, so I hope you got a full shoe. For my walks, and any time I go out in the world, I wear Saucony Jazz walking shoes, which have a grid on the bottom to help prevent slipping. I want a shoe that gives me support in my arch, my heels and toes. This has worked well for me for years.

When I think back to all of the years, when I wore high heels, I shudder. I'm paying for it now, so I'm very conscious of my footwear and safety.

Be safe, stay well, and be strong everyone!

As always, sending prayers ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

ive read of some people who died taking vaccines on some web sites and when i google the names the mainstream media doesnt seem to cover the stories
                "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

Comment

Working...
                X