Can COVID-19 vaccines be mandatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can COVID-19 vaccines be mandatory?

The question came up here a while back--Could the COVID-19 vaccine be mandatory? Would all of us have to get it?

According to this article in JAMA, it could be mandatory BUT there are many possibilities for exemption.

"Mandating COVID-19 Vaccines," JAMA, December 29, 2020:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

And can mask-wearing and social distancing be mandatory, I wonder?

Probably not.

But recent events shown in the news show a superspreader event that was not only violent in terms of what the people involved were doing but was also very alarming because (of course) there were very few masks in sight, and there was certainly no attempt at social distancing.

Here come more and more cases of COVID-19.
    Last edited by agate; 01-11-2021, 06:39 AM. Reason: I spotted a few masks in subsequent photos but mostly they were worn by law enforcement people
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

According to this, the COVID-19 vaccine just might become mandatory. However, this article does say:

No one can physically force you to get a shot, says Diane M. Juffras, professor of public law and government at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill School of Government. But Juffras says states, schools, employers, and private businesses have wide leeway to require vaccinations for residents, students, workers, and customers, though there are several exemptions—mainly for religious or medical reasons—that limit the ability to impose blanket vaccine policies.

From Consumer Reports (January 15, 2021)--"You Could Be Required to Get Vaccinated against COVID-19":

Comment

I still wonder how far they will go to enforce "mandatory vaccinations". I could only be forced by cutting off my Social Security, or cut off my ability to get groceries. That, I could get my sister to shop for me or my nephew. Or find a local food delivery. But to take my Social Security would really make a difference, and I would be forced to comply.

I'm going to find out I guess.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

The paragraph I quoted says you can't be forced to get a vaccine. There might be barriers to employment or travel or education but they're not going to set up roadblocks for getting necessities like food,

Comment

Well, I don't use any of those services, so I'm okay.......for now.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

You're freer than you knew!

Comment

There are so many other ways to force you to take a vaccine that they could use, but FOR NOW I seem to be okay.

Albert Einstein

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

It doesn't make any sense to mandate the vaccinations, if there are no vaccines available. So much for a "roll out plan" from the previous administration, which clearly is nonexistent.

The vaccines are scarce here. I watched a news story about a location in San Francisco all set up for drive-thru vaccinations. Only one glitch: no vaccines.

Johnson & Johnson have given up on their vaccine. Now, it is turning its attention to COVID treatment drugs. Speaking of which, more production of those "miracle drugs" given to the previous WH occupant and others in his realm would be super helpful to those, who need it.

I don't know what happened to our Governor. He's lifted the stay at home order and is allowing businesses to reopen, while cases surge and ICUs are jam packed.

If this had all been handled properly from the beginning, and we all followed the simple rules of isolating, wearing masks, washing our hands, avoiding large and even small gatherings, and we were told the truth about how deadly COVID is, we wouldn't be worrying about whether the vaccines will be available to us immediately. There wouldn't be 420,000 deaths in the U.S. We wouldn't lead the World in the most cases and deaths.

Now, new variants are being discovered. Perhaps if we all had stopped traveling and gave up our regular lives for a few months, that wouldn't have happened.

With all of these variants now, the manufacturers of the vaccines have no idea whether their vaccines will work against the variants.

So, where does that leave all of us?

It's difficult to schedule an appointment (Virginia) or get CVS to inoculate residents (agate) or find a place giving vaccinations close to you. The vaccines are now a scarce commodity. And the vaccines may or may not protect us from assorted variants.

So, of course, let's make the COVID vaccine mandatory.

Sigh ...

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

None of this makes any sense to me. I spoke with my cousin who lives 50 to 55 miles south of me. She has not had the vaccine and plans to wait for the Johnson & Johnson since it is one shot. I didn't know it had been abandoned or stopped. She was telling me about a man who lives in a tiny little blip on the map a little way from her (she is also in a very small town). He just walked into a hospital, no appointment, in that tiny little place and asked for the vaccine and got it. Then they gave him a card with a date and time to come back for the 2nd shot in 3 weeks.

Meanwhile, back here in Raleigh, I was told that we did not get a shipment that we had been promised. While up close to Charlotte this week-end they had a drive thru where they gave shots to people in their cars. I do think they did have to have an appointment, but it was a lot. I think I read 16,000 people got their vaccines. We were due for a big shipment and got 4,000 vaccines. It is crazy. I don't think they know yet how many there are in the stockpile.

This virus, in the meantime is getting worse and worse with different variants thrown in to complicate things. I think so far the vaccine will cover the variants, but I did hear Dr. Fouci say that if it keeps on there will be more and more variants until one comes along that the vaccine will not cover. If we could get all the people vaccinated this would prevent the variants from happening. The virus would have nothing to keep feeding on.

Meanwhile I am now wearing two masks instead of one and of course my disposable gloves. I would hate to be this close to a vaccine and get this virus.
                    Virginia

Comment

Virginia ~

If it is any comfort to you, none of this makes any sense to me either.

Why are we told that they have vaccines, then we find out they don't have enough?

I watched Jimmy Kimmel's monologue from last night on YouTube today, and he described the ordeal he went through trying to schedule an appointment for the vaccine for his parents. Answering a questionnaire, then being directed to a list of appointments available, only to discover a list of: "No appointments available." He had to fill out the questionnaire again every time he checked for available appointments. It took him hours to get an appointment, and he commented that this must be difficult for older people to wade through this mire as he did.

With the shortage of the vaccines currently, who will get priority in 3 weeks? The people getting their first shot or the people getting their second shot?

As for prioritizing the "tiers" for the vaccine, nowhere have I seen "people with disabilities." Or people with cancer or immune disorders, all of whom are at risk for severe cases of and death from COVID.

So, we're on our own in the COVID vaccine lottery.

Good idea to wear 2 masks, Virginia. Just be sure to dispose of them or wash them after one wearing.

Be safe and well, everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Yesterday I listened to a news brief by our state secretary of health. She was making a little more sense. The people in Mecklenburg county up near Charlotte had been promised this vaccine in order to have this big drive thru - I assumed she meant some time ago. She says that the state has been being told that they would get a certain amount and then they don't get that much.

She thinks things are now going to open up so that they know what they are going to get ahead of time. She says that it will be allocated to counties going forward, by population. We are due 120,000 vaccines today. I hope we got them. That is not much, but it is better than not knowing or expecting a shipment and then not getting it. She also says that she wants 95% of our stockpile to be used every week, because if we are not using what we have we will be cut down. However, I assume this does not mean the second vaccine because she said she wanted to assure everyone that the 2nd shot would be there for them.

I get different updates pertaining to things from my newspaper everyday. I am going on to see if they have posted an update on whether or not the shipment arrived for 120,000 today. She has done her best during this past year, but has truly had her hands full. She has not had her shot yet, but said as soon as it comes her turn she will get on the list.
                        Virginia

Comment

Is this of any use to you, Virginia?

Today a memo came around to the residents here, announcing a third case of COVID-19 in the building.

Comment

Virginia ~

That update seems promising, and I hope it comes to fruition for you and everyone in your state.

Today, I watched Jimmy Kimmel's monologue from last night, in which he updated his in-laws' vaccine situation. (Turns out it is his in-laws, not his parents.) Mother-in-law went for her vaccine yesterday, and when she arrived, she was told that they had sent all of the personnel home for the day! So no one was available to administer the shot! She was given another appointment. I just can't believe how bad this is, with the number of COVID cases and deaths in California.

How is your brother doing now? Healing prayers continue.

agate ~

I wonder how the residents in your building are being exposed to COVID. I pray that you and your neighbors remain safe.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Agate, thanks so much for all this information. Some of it is still confusing to me. They seem to be having clinics that I know nothing about.

I am very concerned about the additional out breaks in your building. Like Rose, I am curious as to where they are being exposed. I would assume that once they get it that they are confined to their apartments. I hope you do what my neighbors and I do and that is not visit anyone. You are in a retirement home, not a long term facility. I wonder if these people had caregivers or help that brought it in without realizing it. Of course they say it spreads several days before a person knows they have it. Stay Alone!

I hope your shoulder and arm are far better.

Rose, I just keep praying that John will not come down with this. I wish he could get vaccinated. I am sorry he has lost another friend.

Did not talk to my brother today. The day was kind of taken up with insurance company as was yesterday. Sorry if I said anything about this before - I can't remember. Anyway, I received a letter yesterday pertaining to my Medicare part D. I changed companies in December because the one I was with was no longer going to cover my Rebif. This company said in all their literature and their Drug Formulary that they covered it. This new letter stated that they had let me have a 30 day supply, but after that it was not covered. I was on the phone most of yesterday afternoon with someone I could not understand and he had no idea what I was saying. After far more than an hour I gave up. I got back on the phone today in order to talk to someone else. She finally, after having to put me on hold, a number of times said yes it was covered, but I had to have step therapy. Step therapy was Betaseron and Avonex. I told her I had had Avonex and couldn't take Betaseron, so she says she has sent a letter to my Doctor to get him to state that I can only take Rebif.

Isn't that the craziest thing you ever heard of. When the insurance company starts trying to dictate which multiple sclerosis drug a person can take, even though the one the Doctor has written a prescription for is on their formulary. I am sure Betaseron and Avonex are expensive drugs also. It's not like going from a brand name to a generic. That I can understand. This I can't.
                              Virginia

Comment

Working...
                              X