October 2020: Keep on Moving Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2020: Keep on Moving Thread

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves thaT

I unfortunately forgot to say Rabbit, and I will know by the end of the day the serious ness of that lapse.

Comment

Does everyone need to say "Rabbit" on the first of the month? Or is it that the first person to say "Rabbit" on the first of the month is going to have especially good luck that day?
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

The first person to say, “Rabbit, rabbit.”

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Thanks for the link, ANN. The good luck lasts through the whole month then--and whoever wins in October gets a nice long month.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

I took a walk alone yesterday. Usually we walk together but Peter’s schedule didn’t allow for a mid-day break and rain was forecast for after work. I knew I would sleep better if I walked.

I dropped a bill off at the mailbox, picked up a novel at the book box and talked to a man I met before about his very tall tomatoes. He was harvesting a large bowl full and handed me two. I knew immediately that the yellow one was a Dad’s Sunset heirloom. He was impressed. (Big smile under my mask).

I made a big loop, avoided streets with darting kids and logged over 1400 steps.

I am sure it helps preserve muscle and function.
            ANN

Comment

Avoiding streets with darting kids takes know-how!

Around here there are many basketball hoops set up right beside the street, and the darting kids can be teenagers shooting baskets. They're not exactly darting but sometimes it's tricky figuring out how to get around them.

Then there are the darting unleashed dogs whose humans are nowhere in sight.

Comment

My pedometer has only clocked 410 steps today. Yet, I pulled two quite heavy area rugs out of the way, a runner that is in my hall and another one to match in my foyer. I pulled the runner into my bedroom and the 4 x 6 into the living room. Then I dusted the floor, then I got out the cleaning stuff (Bona) and put it on my hardwood floors. I stayed in the living room until the floor had dried, then I pulled the rugs back in place. Later I also vacuumed the whole downstairs. I also cleaned the toilet in the master bath. Does all this count? Or is it just steps?

I have finished cleaning with the exception of my office and bedroom which need dusting, but not today.

I have 5 long sleeve cotton blouses to be starched and ironed. I also have 4 decorative kitchen place mats and napkins that I starch and iron. Ann, I could put Peter in his happy place for a long time, but I couldn't afford his hourly rate. I actually have been looking at 4 of those blouses for a long time. One of these days I'll get around to it, I hope.

Please tell me it is not just steps that make a difference!
                Virginia

Comment

Peter would be happy to do your ironing, Virginia. He says, “Put it in a flat envelope.” :-)

And yes, all of that work counts. You will sleep well tonight.

I don’t do work like that. It’s just not possible.
                  ANN

Comment

My goodness, Virginia, you certainly cleaned and cleaned! I hope this means you've been feeling better?

Some days pedometers just seem to have "bad days," and I think your pedometer might have had one today. On days when I know the pedometer reading is wildly off, I just ignore that day and don't record it. I don't know why pedometers conk out on some days but they do. Either it doesn't record at all or it records a figure that I know has to be too low.

Comment

Yesterday I used my pedometer and that was the day that I vacuumed and mopped the kitchen and master bath. Then in the afternoon I didn't just dust I polished my dining room furniture, all the furniture in my living room and the chest that is in my foyer. I have had spasms in my leg today, which I figure came from that rather than what I did today. It was a lot of bending and trying to get down low without stooping since I can't get back up. Both of my legs are stiff and sore. Yet, I only had a little over 200 steps. I know that was wrong because going from the front of the house to the back a couple of times would give me that much.
                      Virginia

Comment

Today was such a bad day for pedometers for me that I have no reading at the end of the day in spite of wearing two pedometers all day. I wear one as a check on the other because I'm still not sure which one is the more accurate.

Neither of them was accurate today. I counted 50 steps I took while in this apartment and neither pedometer recorded them.

Pedometers are moody little things, I think. Maybe they'd do better if I fed them some kind of pedometer food?

Comment

I think your pedometers found their food - they’re eating your steps!

We took a walk again yesterday. I really enjoy getting outside. I miss doing the garden.

ANN

Comment

Agate, your pedometers sound just like mine.
                            Virginia

Comment

I suspect all pedometers are a breed. Unpredictable, quirky. You have to love them in spite of their faults, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X