X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth Mother 2 Angels
    replied
    ((((((Ralph)))))) ~

Your energy and stamina amaze me! I can't even imagine doing all of the physical work you do. Do you ever have aches or joint pain from all of your work?

That's great that you and Joe are spending time together. Although I'm a vegetarian, I am sure that a community fish fry would be a pleasurable social event. An evening trip around the lake in the pontoon boat does sound relaxing.

I'm so sorry that Marty's health is declining. My prayers are with him that he is not in pain and that he feels peace surrounding him.

The prairie wildlife is magnificent. Thank you for sharing with us.

Be well and try not to overdo.

Agate ~ Thank you, as always for keeping us connected to Ralph. You are a wonderful friend to us all.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!

Leave a comment:

• Virginia
    replied
    Ralph, I love fish fries. A couple of churches in my area have them now and again and I love it when family or someone is able to drop a dinner off to me. I have a sister-in-law who orders Cat Fish when they are available at a local upscale restaurant. I like most seafood, but cat fish is not one I eat, no matter how nice the restaurant.

Your weather is a little better than mine. We have been in the 90s quite a few days. Today being one of them. We were almost in a drought, but did get some rain last week and due to get more tomorrow and Monday. Still it is due to get into the 90s Monday even with the rain.

You always have so many projects around your place. I don't know how you get it all done. I am glad you have Joe should anything happen that you need him. I hope Marty is doing as well as we can expect.

We really enjoy hearing from you and appreciate Agate keeping us connected.

Stay well,
    Virginia

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    From Tom Cat today:

Another nice day. Had a little rain this morning. Starting out in the 60's and will probably be in the 80's by late in the day. Had 1 1/2 inches of much- needed rain a couple of days back. It put some ruts in the lower driveway.

I had to rig up a back blade on the ATV to drag the gravel up into the ruts. It takes a bit, since I have to get off and crank the back blade up by hand. After that I'll take a golf cart and roll it up & down the rut area to compact the soil/gravel. Glad I'm feeling better, so I can do this.

Had a nice fish fry out with Joe last evening. It's the big thing in Wisconsin. The churches and the pubs all have fish fries on Friday nights. I had the traditional fresh water perch dinner with 4 choices of potatoes, and a nice salad bar. Had enough fillets for some for lunch today.

There are at least 2 does on the land here, and possibly 2 fawns. They haven't shown up at the same time , so not sure how many fawns.

I have seen a wren trying to build a nest in the top of one bird feeder. The feeder has a coffee can on top. The wren started pushing twigs into the coffee can. This went on for a couple of days. I don't know if the wren finished the nest or not. Anyway, yesterday there was a red squirrel on the feeder tube, below the can. The wren attacked the squirrel 2 or 3 times, before the squirrel left. This morning there was a grey squirrel on the feeder, and no wren when I was watching. I'm leaving the feeder up, until it is empty, or I know the wren is occupying a nest. Male house wrens frequently build up to 3 nests, and the female selects one to raise her family in. I'll see what happens over the next couple of weeks.

Take care

I hope people will overcome their shyness or find some more time and energy so that Tom Cat can have some replies besides just me. I told him about the eagles Webcam and the baby eaglets. Maybe he'll be able to register here and post here on his own before long.

He's been providing us with content and trying hard to avoid saying anything political. I'm glad he's interested in staying in contact with us. I wondered at first if he would lose interest after a while but he definitely hasn't done that.

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    From Tom Cat today:
    Yeah Linda, there's no telling after around 18 years in the ground, and around 18 inches in the ground, where you may get a leak, or how the heck it got there. I got around 1200 feet of 3/4 plastic tubing I've dug in. Mainly with a pick axe and a narrow blade shovel. It's looking for water coming up from the ground, digging up around it, cutting it, putting a piece of pipe between, adding hose clamps, crossing your fingers and going back at it in spring and fall. You get to heat up a lot of boiling water, to soften the plastic pipe/tubing so you can slide the repair tube inside, and try not to get wet dirt in the pipe. This time everything went fine. The pipe lines do drain down by gravity. A must, or the winters would easily form ice and burst the lines.

Life in the north country, aye? More later.

Feeling better today. Took Marty on a run around the properties in a golf cart. We discussed the changing prairie we've put in, and a few plants that are coming up late. Back around 88F. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• Lazarus
    commented on 's reply
    hello Ralph,
    I was chuckling reading your post about the hose connection. We have several underground connections we laid 20 years ago too and it is very nice indeed when they still work!

• Virginia
    replied

I certainly don't mind Agate. A touch of color is a good thing. Please tell Ralph we are also getting old and we know the feeling, but I think he is doing very well. Just tell him to keep that stiff upper lip.

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    This is from Tom Cat on Tuesday (sorry for the delay--I've been dealing with a phone problem that is taking entirely too much time and energy):

Ended a nice day. Joe had me down by his trailer home around 5 PM for a nice pork chop dinner with potatoes, carrots, etc. Then we went out for a pontoon boat ride and some fishing. He was fishing, I relaxing. He caught a half dozen or so, mainly bluegill pan fish, or bream in the south. Took a nice trip around the lake. Take care.
    And this from today:

Back at it this morning. A cool 70 out there right now, I think. My outdoor thermometer just went Celsius on me. I guess it couldn't take the last 6 days of 90+ temperatures. We usually get 7 days of that each year, the weather person says, so after another day it should be just warm for the summer, aye?

Getting ready to have a medical evaluation with my general practitioner. I'm not sure what to say. I'm getting old, and some days I just feel crap, some days I don't, but I'm hanging in there with a stiff upper lip.

Actually I got out in the late after yesterday to drag 200 or so feet of garden hose out to a feed plot. The hose is connected to a 600-foot plastic underground line I dug in about 18 years back. And it felt good when I connected everything, turned the water on at the house, and the rotating sprinkler did its thing. Usually I have a leak in the line, or bugs got in the sprinkler head, etc. It was neat to see everything working fine. I sat there in the golf cart just watching that sprinkler head going back & forth for several minutes.

Enough for tales of an old crazy guy in the woods, aye?

I'm not sure why the quoted parts are showing up with a green background. I can't find a way to remove the green background. Maybe it's easier to read with it, or maybe it adds a touch of color. If nobody objects to it, I don't mind it either.
    Last edited by agate; 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Virginia
    replied
    Please tell Ralph we really enjoy having him on our board. He gives us more pleasure by far than we do him.

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    From Tom Cat today:
    I thank all of you for your cooking advice. I zap most things, but not most meats. I've been frying them, though I prefer broiling them. I'm just not sure exactly how you do that. It's easy at my fur trade reenactments because there is always a fire going to roast things over.

Bacon works good in the microwave. I wrap it in a couple of layers of paper towel. Put it on a paper plate or twp and zap it for a minute per thick cut piece. It comes out crispy, and most of the fat is left in the paper towel. The air cookers and all sound great, but with a lower cupboard with several friers and processors, etc., I'm not into getting any more gadgets.

I got a freezer full of meat. I'm thinking of taking all the beef out, slicing it thin, marinating it overnight, and putting in in the slow drier for a day. That's how I take 6 pounds or so of jerky to my fur trade camp each year. It will keep without refrigeration for over a year. Just grab some when you need an animal protein kick.

This morning was the usual grilled cheese, with a couple of pieces of bacon. That's aged, extra sharp cheddar cheese for you cheese lovers out there.

Now to take coffee to my neighbor, who's hanging in with terminal lung cancer. He gets to sit in his home and watch the wildlife on his 7 acres of prairie and mixed woods. Sand hill cranes and their young come by, turkey and deer, plus all kinds of song birds and a hawk or two, and a barred owl. It's what many of us in the wooded country find comforting.

Take care and thanks for having me on your board, sort of.

Leave a comment:

• Parsi
    commented on 's reply
    Better. I'll write in the chat thread later.

• agate
    replied
    From Tom Cat earlier today:
    Good afternoon here. The C scan on the lung took about 10 min. I got preliminary results from my GP's nurse in the afternoon. She said it looked okay. I'll be having an evaluation with the doctor next Thursday. In the meantime, the buzzy head and fatigue i'll have to live with. Need to work slowly on doing things.

Temperature is in the 90's today, but the humidity is low.

Had coffee with Marty this morning. His brother has been with him most of the week, making meals and getting things in order. No easy thing. He'll be back next week.

Trying to see if I got the strength to till up one or two 2000 square foot food plots for the animals. They need to be planted soon.

Trying to sort all kinds of things in the house, for trash, sell, or give away. I have a truck load of stuff for my fur trade friends, about 300 miles away, but I'm not sure if I can get it to them. It's nice stuff, like clothing, tent material, tools, copper pots and pans, and stuff for that period. Including a couple of flintlock pistols and a swivel gun cannon. It's a little stressing getting every thing together in a hurry, especially when you're not feeling well. Hopefully I'll get this done by the end of summer.

I did get out around 7 AM and put out most of the bird feeders with sunflower seed and some corn on the ground. Hopefully I'll have critters out there by this evening, as things cool off.

Need to get my Kindle camera back, to show you the different prairie flowers as they come into bloom. The blue wild lupine has already flowered and is now setting seed.

It's been up to 94 out there today. Didn't do any heavy moving in that heat, though the humidity is low. Got a 3 X 4 foot water basin, uncovered and washed out, and filled with water for birds, squirrels, and in the past raccoons, also deer. See if any critters need a drink in these hot days coming up. It was fatiguing just pulling out hoses, rinsing, and filling the "raccoon" pond, as we call it. What a change in a week or so, with almost frost in the morning, and now 90 by noon. Hummingbirds out now, sucking up that nectar. I have two of them.

Need to get something light together for an evening meal. Cats were sprawled out on the floor a while ago, absorbing the AC. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• agate
    replied
    Hello, Parsi! How are you doing?

Leave a comment:

• Parsi
    commented on 's reply
    Ann, Hi (waving).

• stillstANNding
    replied
    Hi Parsi!

Tom, yes, I certainly wish you luck on your chest CT.

AN

Leave a comment:

• Parsi
    replied
    I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up here. I did have BT set up to notify me if something was posted on this thread but the message comes garbled since this new format.

I have done a lot of microwaving of foods when I'd just be visiting and staying in a motel. I haven't given it up entirely, but I the instant pot (a previous version) or the air frying are preferable. Much better for meats. I freeze chicken thighs in single bags. When I want to use, I take out of freezer put a tiny bit of marinade in and rub. Then put in a hot air fryer for about 20 minutes, turning about half way. Delicious and doesn't require much effort.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X