No announcement yet.

Messages from Tom Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Ralph has a nice John Deere and a nice new blower. I guess this is a new toy.

It also appears they have had snow.
    Virginia

Comment

From TomCat, today. There is a photo:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

There are several turkeys on the snow path in the background. This is 3 days back at Marty's having breakfast. He's had up to 20 hen turkeys in the yard, at one time, in the last week. He had 1 doe also. Other than the birds & squirrels that's been it. Deer & fox tracks in the snow most days. We did have a pileated woodpecker here for a couple of days this week. They sound like a jack hammer when pecking on the trees for bugs. They pull out chunks of wood the size of your small finger with each peck. They are larger than crows. Nice to watch, except when they on the wood siding on your house.

A cool 15' this morning, with an expected high around 30. Still dry here.

Not planning anything for the holidays. Will be picking up a dinner at one of the churches in town with Marty. Take care.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

A holiday message from Tom Cat today:
        Merry Christmas & happy holidays to you & all on BT. ... I hope all of you are staying safe & warm this winter.

I had a nice surprise a couple of nights ago, when in the dark, for the third time I had a flying squirrel in a bird feeder. It was 9 PM, in the bedroom, & Smudge cat was chattering at a bird feeder outside the window. I got the flashlight out, & there was a beady-eyed flying squirrel, eating sunflower seeds. She sat there for around 1/2 hr. It made my night. I still haven't figured out it she's gliding in from a tree, or crawling up the wood siding & jumping over to the feeder.

Getting colder, 5F this morning, & 20 by midday. But it was up to 40F a couple of days. A few snow showers, but it's melted or blown off most road ways & the driveways.

Will be picking up a Christmas dinner with Marty at a local church around noon. Take care.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

I didn't know there were flying squirrels.
          Virginia

Comment

They don't exactly have wings....

Comment

Ralph, are you talking about Sugar Gliders (maybe sugargliders)? Do they have them in Wisconsin?

This is how I even know about them: the old Sierra Trading Post used to hide a question somewhere in the text of its catalogues. If you found it and answered it correctly you’d get free shipping. “Sugar Gliders” was one of the answers.

Merry Christmas,
              ANN
              There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Agate, the flying squirrel looks a lot like a bat to me.
                Virginia

Comment

((((((Ralph)))))) ~

I hope that you and Marty had a nice Christmas dinner together yesterday. It certainly looks mighty cold there, but I suppose you're used to it. Our squirrels don't fly, but they sure do leap a good distance. I'm always surprised at how far they can jump.

You and Marty take good care of yourselves, and be safe and well. Merry Christmas!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Reply to stillstANNding from Tom Cat (today):

A sugar glider is an Australian marsupial, which looks like a flying squirrel, but is not related. It does feed at night on nectar & other sweet fruit & the like. I hope this answers your question, Ann.

Warm day, starting at 21F this morning. Take care, & stay safe.

Comment

Tom Cat replying to Rose (today):
                      Hi Rose! I take it you are in warmer climate, than I am here. It's a hot 20F or so here right now. I'm finding I'm not doing as well as I used to in this cool climate. We've been down to 5F one morning, & that was plenty cold. We're expecting up to 5 inches of snow today. I may have to take my blower out. Running it with snow blowing in your face, gets you cold real fast. May have to take a lot of breaks. The body doesn't take the wind chills well anymore. No snow on the ground right now.

The cats, Momma Maggie & her daughter Smudge are spending much of the day in front of the floor heat ducts. Getting ready for the incoming snow. It's the winter ritual for us up by our Canadian neighbors. Need to check outside, to make sure I don't have anything on the roadways that will catch in the blower blades.

Hope you're enjoying the holidays, with a couple close friends and/or relatives. Take care.

And thanks for having me on BT.

Comment

Ralph knows his animals Ann.

Agate please tell him we very much enjoy having him on BT.
                        Virginia

Comment

((((((Ralph)))))) ~

Yes, I live in sunny Southern California, which is currently being pelted with hail, with winds of 40mph and tornadoes predicted as a possibility.

I lived in the Midwest for several years, so I'm familiar with snow up to my hips and ultra cold temperatures. I couldn't tolerate that now, as you are finding it less tolerable. The older I get, the colder I get.

COVID is surging here, so I'm alone, with no visitors. As for relatives, I have one uncle left, and he has Alzheimer's, which is progressing. I have isolated during the winter for decades to avoid flu season, which would have been just as deadly to my sons and husband as COVID. I have a "second family" and a "third son," but he is an essential worker, so we have to limit our contact.

Still, I count my blessings, which are many.

We're delighted to have contact with you here on BT, and we always enjoy your posts.

You and Marty take care of yourselves and be careful with all of that snow.

Thank you agate for connecting us with Ralph. You are a wonderful friend.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Tom Cat's photo of "the back side of the house, with hanging bird feeders." I haven't found the hanging bird feeders yet but maybe someone will be able to spot them.

Comment

(Lots of snow here for Howie.) Tom Cat says this is the back field:

Comment

Tom Cat's 1200-ft. driveway:

Comment

Working...
                                X