No announcement yet.

OT April Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, today was a good day, I got a call from the company who is handling the procurement of the power scooter for me, but they just wanted more specific information like how many falls I've had in the last month and what I'll be using it for in my apartment. I don't know how much longer it will take, but I'm glad that things are happening. I'm just hoping it won't turn out like when I was supposed to get an in home caregiver.
    s
    Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

Comment

Sounds as if someone is about to come up with your scooter, jendie! Hope you won't have to wait long.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Good timing. I just went to the store, put things away, came back here to OUR room, and now it's pouring rain. We are supposed to have rain for 2 days, but now I need nothing. Again, he's livin' large!
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Agate, after the week-end I will try the Nursing Home. I don't think the week-end is a good time because they usually have less staff and are busy. Like you said, I probably will not find out a thing, but we will not know unless it is tried.

Howie, I had far more UTIs before going on a DMT than I have since then. I remember having them a lot in my 20s and 30s. As Agate stated there are far more reasons than the immune system. When I was having more of them back then I didn't have a problem with the antibiotics that I have now. I have never felt good on one, but now all those creepy, crawly sensations that I have are so much worse. I feel like I am going to come out of my skin.

Jendie, glad something seems to being go on with the scooter. Maybe things will start rolling along. I hope so.
          Virginia

Comment

A few random opinions of mine:
            Even with hearing aids, talking on the phone is challenging for me. I have to hold the phone a certain way or get screeching feedback. And it seems like people talk faster than I can process their words; I have to me saying, "slow down! Talk louder!" Tiresome and embarrassing for me, tiresome for the caller. So i rarely call anyone, my brother calls me regularly and has learned my needs, so we chat for awhile, but when we're done, I have to rest as I've used a lot of mental energy just to keep up. I can count on one hand the other people I'm in regular contact with.

Internet "friendships" have always befuddled me. I acknowledge I'm a loner. But still, i really don't understand virtual friends. Like this board. Our commonality is MS...and whatever we might choose to share in a few sentences on this board, in this thread. Which is, at least for me, far from all that makes up my life. There is not time here, nor place, nor would it be appropriate for me to share much more than the bits I do share. If any of you were to call me, you'd find the conversation awkward, and brief, because other than the MS and related health issues, we don't have much in common, really.

When I was in the nursing home, I clung to whatever bits of normalcy I could, hoping that I could get out of there one day and back home. Now I know that the next time I go in it will likely be where I'll stay: it has be increasingly harder for my husband to care for me. His own health is deteriorating to the extent that I don't think he'll be able to manage much longer. And he has come to that understanding himself, without our talking about it. When I go in, I'll shut down the outside, knowing I'll never get there again, and turn inward. And not welcome call from people I know only through cyberspace. When I was in, the only visitors I welcomed was my husband, and even then I told him not to come but once a week.

There are a couple of people here who know my real name and address. None knew the nursing home address. None know my phone number. That won't change. When I'm gone....I'm gone.

Comment

That is a gutsy thing to post, and I admire your honesty and ability to articulate it, Cat.

Comment

I'm the complete opposite. I have friends on another MS board who understand me better than anyone in "real" life. If I need support that's where I turn.

My RL friends are mostly clueless about what I go through in spite of my attempts to explain. I'd be lost without my cyberfriends.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Comment

Vicky, I feel much the same as you do. Even my family does not understand my challenges the way the people on this forum do. This is the only one I go to so I have not made friends on any other forums. It would be wonderful to still have the close relationships in real life that I use to have, but then if I did I couldn't keep up.

Cat, if you are thinking of me calling Sally's Nursing Home, I would not ask for her or even for her to be told that I had called. I only wanted to find out if she is still there and if she is doing alright. I do not think they will tell me however I don't think there is anything abnormal about being concerned about someone that we met here. If others feel that I should not call at all then I will not. I had not intended to say who I was or that I represented an MS online forum.

I am getting ready to go out and meet my brother and sister-in-law for dinner. There are things I can talk to them about, but there are things that I talk about on here that if I mention to them they just have that "I don't get it" look on their faces.

My Aunt wore hearing aids and she was the same as you about the phone. At one time we talked on a regular basis and then we couldn't. It hurt her ears and that I could understand. So I drove the round trip 110 miles as often as I could so we could talk for a little while in person. I always tried not to wear her out. So, I do understand what you are saying.

There are some people who have made close friendships on line. I am not sure how Ann and Joy met, but they were close friends and both were on this board.

If anyone ever wants to check on me (should I disappear) please feel free to do so. Actually, it would make me feel missed and more cared about. This is just the difference in people, but Cat you have never known what it is like to be without TC. I hope you never will, but it can change the way you look at a lot of things. If I still had my husband around I probably would not be on here much.
                  Virginia

Comment

Joy persued me. First in messages here and then in emails. I am very glad she did.

I feel like Vicky and Virginia: feel free to hunt me down and send me chocolate! Peter was just asking last night how Rose's husband was doing. And getting back to Joy, she called my mom once to ask about Advantage plans and Mom bought baby clothes for Joy's granddaughter (who can resist baby clothes)?

Everyone here is very real to me.

ANN
                    Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM.
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Ann, I still have my baby thong I first wore when I was just a baby, but I couldn't sell it. It still gives me pleasant memories about my childhood.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

No, my comments weren't aimed at Sally, or whether or not anyone should contact her. It was only my comments, which came about as I thought about Sally in the nursing home, and thought I would share what I was feeling. I did not mean to offend...although I am often guilty of that, often without intention.

Yes, I've been with TC for more than 50 years, married for 49. But as I said, other than what I post here, none of you really know anything about us, or our relationship. Or our relationships with the "live" friends we have. TC is vastly more outgoing than I am. When I had that party a couple of years ago, 40 or so people showed up...about half of them were friends through TC. I have no close family, nor does TC. When I'm in a nursing home, there will be no one to come to see me..our closest friends are themselves aged, and no longer drive. Doesn't change things for me. And note: THESE ARE MY OPINIONS. I' m not asking nor expecting anyone else to feel the same, or have the same opinions.
                        ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Comment

Cat, I understand what you are saying and like BBS I admire that you just go ahead and say what you think. We all enjoy your comments and opinions here and I hope it is many years before you go into a nursing home and are unable to communicate with us. I understand that people are so different in how they feel about or relate to others and that is what makes us all unique.

Howie, what does a baby thong look like? Is it a diaper or did your Mother dress you in a thong when you were a baby?
                          Virginia

Comment

Of course Howie's mother dressed him in a baby thong! He probably set up an unbearable squawk if she didn't!
                            *badmood

Cat, I understand wanting to keep life simple and not be inundated with well wishers, even those with the best intentions. If you're unwell enough to be in a hospital or nursing home, sometimes it's all you can do just to cope with day-to-day existence and your own immediate family/friends.

Back when this board had so many people on it that they were stepping all over one another, you'd have been ready for a padded cell if this board's membership had decided to call you while you were trying to recover in some place.

Even now it could be quite a mob if all of us decided to call you.

But I question whether you've been quite as detached as you seem. Don't I recall that you went to a Leafwatchers get-together, or at least that you visited one member of this board?

For those who don't remember or weren't here, some of the people on this board had annual Leafwatchers sessions where they got together in the fall to appreciate the fall foliage, or at least I think that was the idea. I didn't go to any of them but there were photos, back in the day when we had a photo album here. What ever happened to our photo album?

Let's hope that all of us can stay out of hospitals, nursing homes, convalescent centers, and other such places for a very long time.
                            Last edited by agate; 04-23-2017, 03:43 PM.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

These are how it all started.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                                These are how it all started.
                                Those look uncomfortable. And ineffective. But whatever floats your boat....

Comment

Working...
                                X