January 2023 Keep on Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 2023 Keep on Moving

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important it doesn't have to be exercise! Even Science proves that.

Sunshine, I have been doing a little more than usual. Mine are my leg exercises, but I try to remember to "walk" in the house and not shuffle. Can't always do it, but sometimes I can.
    Virginia

Comment

I'm trying to remember not to slump or slouch around--and trying to walk normally, without grabbing onto a piece of furniture or a wall.

No matter how tired I am, I do those 15 sit-to-stand exercises now.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

That's really good Agate. Keep doing them and don't forget the squats. My therapist said those two told her a lot about me. Because I have been doing all my same exercises so long and I sometimes get bored, I have started either mixing them up or doing half and going back and doing the other half later.
        Virginia

Comment

Today I was able to open my front door, step down a few inches then WALK about 6 steps and put a letter in my outgoing mail slot and then WALK back to my wheelchair!

Comment

Wow, Sunshine! In fact, double WOW WOW! What is responsible for this--just the passage of time, or have you been doing something in particular to make this possible?

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I want to second that WOW WOW! Whatever is helping just keep doing it. So impressive!
              Virginia

Comment

Thank you everyone!!!! I think that it's because lately I have taken the time to straighten out my legs, stand tall and take 2 or 3 steps
                Last edited by Sunshine 2; 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Just remember you must keep on doing it. Try not to slack off. So proud of you!
                  Virginia

Comment

Recent step counts:

1/12/23 - 2002 steps
                    1/13/23 - 2574 "
                    1/14/23 - 1913 "
                    1/15/23 - 2503 "
                    1/16/23 - 2397 "
                    1/17/23 - not recorded
                    1/18/23 - 1364 steps
                    1/19/23 - not recorded
                    1/20/23 - 2117 steps

More steps than usual.

Comment

Wow! Now we know you spend your day walking. Do you walk in the cold?
                      Virginia

Comment

I'm so glad you're cheering me on, Virginia!

I don't walk in the cold if it's too cold. Usually in winter any outdoor walking I do is just to the dumpster and back. That's a total of about 50 steps (round trip). If there's ice out there, even that's impossible. Snow and ice just don't get removed. Sometimes a trashcan is left close to the building so people can put their trash bags in it if it's too icy outside.

Those extra steps lately must have happened mainly because I've been busy moving furniture and books around. I switched two end tables, and of course there was the big move when I emptied out a small bookcase, moved it, emptied out a large bookcase and moved it, then had to deal with all of the books that were emptied out.

I'm celebrating just now because the building had its "free table" this weekend--the time when people can leave things they no longer want out in the community room and hope that someone else will want them. There are lots of things out there this weekend but my little bookcase disappeared within a couple of hours. I put most of the books out there too and quite a few of them have been taken. Tomorrow night I'll have to take back anything that is still out there--and wait for the Vietnam Veterans of America to do a pickup.

The extra walking has made me more tired than usual but I keep on doing those 15 sit-to-stand exercises each day, and tonight I was able to do some of them with my hands across my chest. For the last week or so I've been too tired to do them without holding my arms out in front of me.

This place looks so much better without so many books. Fewer things to dust.

Comment

My average step count for January, based on 28 days, was 1,855 steps/day. Less than December but more than November.

Comment

Working...
                          X