X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Howie.

Comment

Glad your tests were negative, Ikoiko.

My tests are reaching their expiration date but I believe more can be obtained.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Just a question from someone who hasn't a clue. I have some Covid at home tests ordered. Will they be something that requires a blood sample? And will whatever is required for the test be something that I will have to send somewhere, or will I be able to get the results at home?
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

• agate
          agate commented
          Editing a comment
          If the test kit you have is like mine, you don't have to send anything anywhere. You can get the results at home. It involves poking a swab into both nostrils (and you don't have to poke very far). The test kits I was sent seem to require using an app on a smartphone though.

I'm asking their Website how to do the test without the app because I would find that easier. I hope they answer because their Website states that the test can be done without the app.But it doesn't tell you how.

This type of test will tell you if you currently have COVID but not if you've had it at some time in the past. Also there can be false negatives.

This is an iHealth COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test, promising "Self-test at home results in 15 mins." It seems to be a fairly standard type of test, and yours may be the same kind.

NOTE: I tried to Comment on Howie's post but it comes up saying I'm commenting on Guest's reply. Not sure why.
          Last edited by agate; 08-04-2022, 11:41 AM.

You shouldn't need the app. The at home antigen tests are less accurate, but done completely at home and you will get your results in a few minutes. You can order more accurate PCR tests, but these have to be sent out and you will get your results in a few days.

P.S. They have extended the expiration dates for some home tests. You can go to a website and look up you test kit.
        Last edited by Ikoiko; 08-04-2022, 11:17 AM.

Comment

The test kit people did reply, and they sent a link to a helpful video that shows how to do the test without the smartphone app:

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Agate, I have used that very test kit. When you open it up, it has a printed instruction sheet. No need for an app or video. I think they just include an app because they are all the rage these days.

Comment

Thanks Agate and Ikoiko. I don't have a smart phone, just a dumb cell phone, so I will go the "smart phone not needed" route. I feel okay, but having MS, and not on any of the MS treatments mean I have an intact immune system. I had the standard childhood ailments, but my entire adult life, other than having MS, I never got sick. I never took a sick day from work in my entire life.

As for the MS, I've had two exacerbations, then tried what I felt would stop them, and have not had another in 20 some years. I'm still pretty healthy for an old man.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure what the advantage of the smartphone app is. It looks more complicated to me than I want to deal with, and there are time limits in the testing procedure that are really important. Doing anything on one of those phones slows me down while I fumble around and figure out what I'm supposed to press.

Comment

Anyone up to this?

Comment

The eight legs on the spider. NEXT!!!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Howie, you're just too smart.

Comment

Duhhhhhhh....gee, tanks!

Albert Einstein

Comment

I think I have been gone for a few days. Mostly during the past several days I have kept my brother who has COVID company on the phone.

His wife tested positive and her daughter went to stay and take care of her. She did not get as bad as my brother and was able to remain at home.

He had a couple of bad days at home before entering the hospital and a couple of bad days after he got to the hospital. For the past few days he has been on Port Royal Island where he was sent by ambulance to a rehab that has COVID patients. He is in a private room with bath, and says it is pretty nice and that the meals are good. He had been coughing an awful lot until yesterday when it seemed to subside. Assuming he test negative tomorrow, either Tuesday or Wednesday he will be sent to a rehab closer to where he lives to regain some strength. Today was the first day I did not call him. I would spend lots of time on the phone with him because he was by himself since his wife was also sick. His children would also call him.

I do think my brother would very well have died if he had not had the two vaccines and one booster. I think he would have had to be put on an incubator and probably would have gone down hill from there.

As was the case with me the hospital Doctor changed some of his medicines without speaking to him about it and that was giving him some problems. There was a specific reason he was on what he was on, but he wasn't told it was being changed. I told him to get his Doctor on the phone in the morning and get him to call the rehab and get him back on what he should be on.

Eric called yesterday and we also talked for awhile. He says he can't do anything at all with his back. He is trying hard to get everything together and his part of the taxes done so he can turn everything over to the accountant. He had just finished his junior golf tournament, which are complicated. Now he is going to start on his son's who is a golfer. They are very complicated. He says the State of California is one of the worse ones to file. In his house he had two computers set up and when he needed to look something up he would look it up on the computer that he wasn't doing the taxes on. In the rental house he only has one computer, so he has to get out of the accounting program when he needs to look something up and then he has to go back in that program when he gets what he needs. He really dreads his sons because that is what he was working on when the house burned, so what didn't burn got water logged by the firemen. After that he has a small property company he and his wife own and their personal taxes.

They think they will be back in their house in two weeks. He is so looking forward to that.

Other than the above I have just been here at home not doing a lot. Everything seem to be hitting at once and I had to deal with my anxiety over it.

I hope all of you are doing well. I am hanging in here as we say. Tomorrow I am going to get my hair cut and colored. It is too hot to really do anything much.
                          Virginia

Comment

Thanks for the update, Virginia.

I was wondering about your brother's back. Is playing golf OK with his back problems? I mean, it looks to me as if swinging golf clubs involves quite a bit of twisting of the spine. On the other hand, maybe it's great exercise for his back?

The brother who has COVID found that the hospital doctor had changed his meds without letting him know? And this happened to you too? Are these hospital doctors the "hospitalists" I keep hearing about? You find yourself in a hospital and you don't see your regular doctor--instead you see the hospital's doctor, the hospitalist? At least that's my understanding of this new trend.

That strikes me as pretty bad--not letting you know about changes in your meds.

I'm sure that the vaccine and the boosters must have helped your brother.

I just had my second booster. I waited several months for it but the county finally came through. I've had a sore arm for 5 days now but I used painkillers only on the first day. A very small price to pay for protection against COVID.

It's housing recertification time here, and this year the manager wanted the paperwork in a week or two ahead of time. As luck would have it, my printer developed a major problem and it's still not fixed, just when I needed it to run off a couple of receipts for that recert process. But this building's media room has a truly great printer, and I went in there and was able to get the documents I needed in only a few minutes even though I hadn't used those computers in many years.

It was 99' here today. I'm staying close to the air conditioning. I hope everyone here is doing likewise if it's hot where you are.

Comment

I wonder how Rose is.

Comment

Working...
                              X