Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

I love being older. After so many years of cooking feasts for Thanksgiving and hosting meals of 15 to 20 friends….I have cancelled the work. John and I will go visit friends in the afternoon for coffee and dessert(s).just perfect!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Sounds like a really nice day. Enjoy it and have a good Thanksgiving.
    Virginia

Comment

Thank you, Linda! Your plans sound just perfect to me. Happy Thanksgiving to everybody here!
      Thanksgiving-Clipart-1.jpg

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Well, I'll start telling all the food my youngest brothers wife sent to me. He said she had been cooking for three days. Way too much - I had ham and turkey, squash casserole, green bean casserole, carrots, broccoli salad, cranberry salad, deviled eggs, gravy on the side, rolls and 3 desserts. I may have missed something. I can't remember. I think he said she cooked enough for 25 people, but about half was either taken to people like me or taken home for tomorrow.

They had my middle brother bring it to me and when my youngest brother called she started yelling for him to come on. He said she has more energy than anyone he has ever seen. They were going to buy their Christmas tree. I asked him couldn't it wait a day or so. He said no because it is a tradition now. They go with their daughter and son-in-law and this is their baby' s first Thanksgiving. Most of the food is in the refrigerator. I just can't eat all that. I sent her a text thanking her. But I will see everyone tomorrow when we all get together.

Wish I could have gotten some of this food to Ralph. I have a feeling he would enjoy it, but make several meals out of it. I hope Howie's nephew dropped something off to him.
        Virginia

Comment

I'm curious about the three desserts, Virginia. Mince pie, pumpkin pie, and ??? Just guessing. Maybe your youngest brother's wife didn't want any guests going hungry! Hope the get-together tomorrow will go well.

So many people here haven't touched base lately--people like Sunshine 2, and then there's Random Thought (Brian), as well as any number of others.

Hope everyone, present or absent, has had a fine holiday.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Quiet dinner for two.

Comment

Pumpkin pie, coconut cake, cheese cake Cheese cake may have been bought.
              Virginia

Comment

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday, it sounds as if many did!

My Thanksgiving plans were changed early in the week when my hubby and I both came down with bad head colds. We were supposed to travel out of state for the holiday weekend but we stayed home instead. Since I didn't want to spread my cold germs and didn't want to fight the crowds at the grocery stores we just made due with what we had on hand.

Boneless chicken breasts instead of turkey, stuffing I made last year, vacuum sealed and froze, mashed potatoes, peas and rolls from a can. For dessert I baked a pumpkin pie that I had in the freezer. I did miss the smell of the turkey cooking in the oven and of course I missed seeing my family. But overall a nice chill holiday. I am finally getting over the nasty cold!

It was the second Thanksgiving with just hubby and I although it was not planned to be this way this year!

Comment

Snuggles, it's too bad you had to change your plans and stay home with bad colds, but you surely did the smart thing. All too many people would have gone ahead and turned up at the occasion, coughing and sneezing and freely spreading their germs around--and probably not really feeling up to being the life of the party themselves. It sounds as if you came up with a very appealing last-minute Thanksgiving dinner. Hope you'll be feeling better by now!

Comment

Snuggles, I am truly sorry your plans were interrupted by a bad cold. However, I am glad you and your hubby are sensible enough to know it was best for the two of you and the others who were to be present for you to stay home.

Sounds to me like you had a very good meal. I would have been very satisfied if my sister-in-law had fixed far, far less than what she did. I ate on it again last night and had the ham to make a sandwich out of for lunch today. I am washing her containers as I empty them so I can get them back to her.

I am glad you are feeling better now and I hope you are soon completely well.
                    Virginia

Comment

My son and family went to his in-laws for Thanksgiving. They have a relatively large family. So it was just hubby and I. We had a roasted chicken which we bought from the deli the day before, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, salad, and muffins.

Dinner with son's family was Sunday at their house after church. Meat loaf, sliced turkey, stuffing, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole, and banana cream pie. They sent leftovers home with us.

Comment

Thanksgiving was bit odd this year... the night before, a warranted tech came to fix our freezer. I didn't realize that that it would mean the food will be out of the freezer for two hours and thus cannot be safely refreeze it. Otherwise I would have put the food in an ice filled with cooler..
                        The freezer was full of raw frozen wild caught shrimp;and other fish related and veggie related items. All had to be tossed.

Next day was Tgivng so we call around for to go food, the fanciest fish restaurants did not do To Go for Thanksgiving . all of the Asian restaramts were closed. Even the the pizza and mex restaurants.

Having no delicious shrimp to whip up, we settled on eggs omelets with Chees and tomato.

Decioded to have that TO Go fancy fish dinner the following day

Phew!

Comment

Hi Parsi, so nice to see you. Sounds like you had two nice Thanksgiving dinners. I think what you and your husband had for Thanksgiving Day sounds fine to me. I am sure the dinner with your son and family was a nice family get together in addition to having a very nice meal. I hope you are still doing well with your MS.

SUNSHINE, what a treat to see you doing well enough to post. You have been very much missed. Your Thanksgiving really did turn out different. What a shame about all that good food going to waste. I hope your "Nice To Go" meal turned out to be as good as you hoped. Sounds like the food you had in that freezer will be hard to replace. I would love to have some really good seafood.
                          Virginia

Comment

Sunshine, so good to hear from you!! But it's too bad you had to lose the shrimp and other good food.

And Parsi too! My son is like yours--the woman he married has family in the area and they get together often. Her brother had surgery some years ago (brain tumor) and at that point the family moved to be closer to him and stayed on. So my son and his wife and 3-year-old had Thanksgiving dinner at the wife's brother's place, and there were 11 people there. I saw some photos of the occasion, and my grandson was taking it in stride, I'm glad to say.

My son brought the turkey and mashed potatoes. The turkey didn't have to be a whole bird but was just breast--he said half of the people were vegetarians. The idea of my son bringing mashed potatoes he has made to a holiday meal is mind-blowing to me because I have trouble picturing him as a cook, even though I know he often cooks meals nowadays. So I teased him a little about lumps in the mashed potatoes, and he allowed as how there actually were a few lumps but he felt that they turned out well otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                              [snipped]
                              My son brought the turkey and mashed potatoes. The turkey didn't have to be a whole bird but was just breast--he said half of the people were vegetarians. The idea of my son bringing mashed potatoes he has made to a holiday meal is mind-blowing to me because I have trouble picturing him as a cook, even though I know he often cooks meals nowadays. So I teased him a little about lumps in the mashed potatoes, and he allowed as how there actually were a few lumps but he felt that they turned out well otherwise.
                              I prefer my mashed potatoes not to be too smooth. At one dinner we were helping the hostess with final preparations. One of the other guests decided that the potatoes were not mashed enough. I and another guest were surprised because we thought they were fine (no lumps). So people don't agree on the proper amount of smoothness.

Comment

Working...
                              X