Has anyone heard about this place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone heard about this place?

Years ago there was a discussion here about a place somewhere in the east (New Jersey, I think) that was set up for people with disorders like MS. It wasn't a nursing home, and it didn't house very many people. Since then I haven't heard of any other such places but just now news about this place reached me, and it seems it's been around since 1881. I wonder if anyone knows anything about it?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It's had commendations from the National MS Society.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Agate, is this a day home mostly? I noticed in an article in the archives that they were welcoming some members back after COVID. I read several articles but didn't see the history of this place.
    Virginia

Comment

A little of its history is here:

It's definitely residential--and I guess each person gets a room though I can't find anything about those rooms (how big they are, whether there is a private bath, whether there is a roommate, etc.). One of the videos shows a man whose wife lives there, and he mentions finding out when a room became available for her.

I'm not sure how the recently added facility mentioned in the link above--Harmon House--fits in with the established Boston Home either. Sounds as if it's separate. I wish the Website included more specific information and photos.

Their Thanksgiving greeting shows quite a large number of people, who must live there. We aren't told how many people live there either.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

I wish every area had something like this place. I also wish they put more information about the rooms and meals. Thanks for posting this.
        Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Here's what I found as far as ratings are concerned:

It appears that Boston Home is a nursing home, long-term-care facility with 96 beds. Compared to other nursing homes in the area, it has good ratings.

I couldn't find a reference to Harmon House.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

One or two of the people who attended my in-person support group lived at the Boston Home. It is a nursing home mostly for MS patients. I remember one man felt rather lonely and bleak there. And, it is in Boston.

Comment

I found a Website for Harmon Apartments, which is different from Boston Home but is under the same management. Harmon Apartments are rental apartments, and the rooms are fairly good-sized and accessible, but there seems to be no air conditioning.

Comment

No AC in Boston? That's not good?

Comment

Strikes me as totally unacceptable but maybe the place (Harmon Apartments) allows a resident to install window units.

Since Boston Home is primarily for people with MS, I hope that it is air conditioned but it doesn't say.

Comment

Maybe the building was built before central air conditioning was everywhere. If so, couldn't units like yours Agate have been installed later or would that not be doable after the building is up?
                    Virginia

Comment

Virginia, even after 12 years of living with a heat pump, I still know next to nothing about them. I glanced around on the Internet, and it sounds as if it is possible to install one in an older building but it would depend on how well insulated the building is.

Comment

I haven't posted here either ever or in a very long time, but I think you're talking about what used to be called MSAA Commons (it doesn't say anything on the MSAA website that I could find).

The management's website has them listed under a slightly different name, but I had a friend's mom who went there, at the time it was exclusively for MS patients.

It looks like they might have several different options: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

IDK if that helps, hopefully it leads you to something!

Josh

Comment

Welcome back, joshremus! It's so nice when people remember us and decide to return!

Marlkress Commons might be the place I was thinking of, in New Jersey. And it does seem to have been originally under the sponsorship or ownership of the MSAA.

It and at least some of the other buildings at the PRD Website that you linked to are HUD-subsidized housing under Section 202, which is the type of housing I live in too. In my 30+ years in that type of housing, I haven't seen very many people with MS as neighbors though there was at least one. The reason might just be that people aren't very aware of this type of housing.

I found out about it only because my mother was eligible for it in CA when she was in her 70s and confined to a wheelchair with rheumatoid arthritis. Each state has some HUD housing but you have to dig around to find out about it. So far as I know, none of it is specifically set up for people with MS but all of it is supposed to be accessible for the disabled, and some apartments have more accessibility features than others.

For instance, my apartment isn't considered a handicapped apartment but it has many grab bars in the bathroom and emergency pull cords in the bathroom and bedroom.

But next door to me there is a handicapped apartment, identical to mine but I think it has some cutaways in the kitchen and maybe the bathroom, and it has just a roll-in shower, no bathtub. It would have the same grab bars and pull cords. So there isn't much difference between the two types of apartments in this building and in another one I lived in previously.

But residents can request "reasonable accommodations" and have some additional aids installed. A few people have had their bathtubs changed to the type with a door in the side wall of the tub, for instance. They didn't have to pay for this themselves.

How did your friend's mom like the place that is for people with MS?

Comment

It was set up very well then (probably 15 years ago), strictly MS people with significant disabilities (she as in a motorized chair).

I was told that there were MS-specific activities and that there was an on-call number if there was an emergency need.

She passed away not long after that, and my friend passed away a couple of years ago so I can't even go back to her to get more details. Not very helpful there, sorry.

I'll share one miscellaneous amusing thing -- I looked at their list of properties snd found "CASA FARNESE" located in actual Philly. I asked my daughter who lives & works in Philly about the neighborhood, expecting to find out it was in "the hood" (it's described on the website as "Washington Square West").

She said this area is the "Gayborhood" and has several of her favorite spots in the city. So if someone is reading this and is looking for ADA or potentially low-rent living in and around Philadelphia, she gives the area a very positive score!

Josh

Comment

I hadn't looked into Casa Farnese but just now I did. It looks very ultra-modern at least on the outside. I don't know where some of the people on this board are located but thank you for posting about this.

I've been through the long and tedious process of looking for affordable accessible rental housing all too many times, and any shortcuts--like a personal recommendation from someone who already knows something about a place--can be very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X