Worse COVID-19 outcomes for disabled MS patients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worse COVID-19 outcomes for disabled MS patients

Not cheerful news but it's probably something we need to know about.

MedPage Today (November 2) article based on a presentation at the recent CMSC conference (October 25-28)--"Worse COVID-19 Outcomes for Disabled MS Patients":

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Absolutely not good new Agate, but yes we need to know. I worry for all of us that are older. Jeanie comes to mind in her situation.
    Virginia

Comment

Hi, KatherineNorth,

Niclosamide has been used as a deworming agent but is now being seriously considered even as a treatment for COVID-19, at least according to this bit of commentary in The Lancet (April 2021). The study is described as small and limited but the author is proposing that niclosamide be considered as a COVID-19 treatment:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I'm probably more of a wimp than many people when it comes to treatments that haven't stood the test of time but I myself would stay away from niclosamide even if I had COVID-19 and was as concerned as your mother is. But it's worth keeping an eye on niclosamide. Maybe it will turn out to be a good treatment.

In the meantime, I hope your mother's health will improve. She or you might want to ask her doctor's opinion of niclosamide. It would be good to find out whatever you can about it.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

KatherineNorth, I hope your mother will speak with her own doctor right away about treatment for her Covid. The medication you linked sounds suspiciously like Ivermectin that vaccine deniers are taking.

Comment

Definitely your mother should talk to her doctor. Too many meds being suggested for Covid.

Comment

On November 26, 2021, the World Health Organization (WHO) indicated a new SARS-CoV-2 variant of concern, which became known as OmicronTrusted Source.
            The variant has caused concern among health authorities because it appears to be highly transmissibleTrusted Source and likelier to reinfect. There have also been some worries that Omicron can bypass the protection conferred by COVID-19 vaccines. Pfizer maintains that three doses of its mRNA vaccine are able to neutralize Omicron in laboratory experiments and that two doses may still prevent serious illness following infection with this variant.For these reasons, countries worldwide have been taking various measures and precautions to reduce the spread of Omicron among their populations.

Nevertheless, within a world in constant motion, it may be impossible to stop it from spreading altogether. Some cause for optimism may be that various reports suggest that infections with this variant tend to cause milder symptoms than those with previous SARS-CoV-2 variants, such as Delta. google voice hipaa Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) lists the possible symptomsTrusted Source of a SARS-CoV-2 infection without specifying a variant. These are:

fever or chills
            cough
            shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
            fatigue
            muscle or body aches
            headache
            new loss of taste or smell
            sore throat
            congestion or runny nose
            nausea or vomiting
            diarrhea
            However, the CDC notes this list is not exhaustive, and people might experience different symptoms or combinations of symptoms. Furthermore, anecdotal reports on social media and other platforms claim that more specific combinations of symptoms characterize Omicron infections.

Comment

• Lazarus
              Lazarus commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link. It is good to review information. Keeps us vigilant.

• Virginia
              Virginia commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks KatyMcbride, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome, katymcbride!

I hate to start out by looking like a carping critic but I'm sorry that the link you posted just takes me to a page that seems to be called Curogram but I'd need to log in to see anything except some information about Google Voice, etc. I don't think that that was your intention?

It very often happens that a link doesn't work right. And maybe it is working for other people but just not for me.

Comment

This is funny…I am sure I opened the link and read through the article but today I get only the same as Agate described. That curogram thing.
              Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Links can be really weird. You might get to them one time, and the next time you don't. It's nice when they stay stable but they don't always.

Comment

Working...
                X