September chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September chitchat

What's going on in your life? We're interested here. Some people aren't heard from enough.

Getting ready for fall, are you? In Chicago summer has a way of lingering on very warmly until about October 1 but here in the Pacific Northwest it starts to feel like fall by September 1, and just now we're having much shorter days and cooler nights/early mornings.

I'm still watching movies on DVDs in my spare time, and I try to get at least an hour every evening for part of a movie. I just finished watching "Clockers," a 1995 Spike Lee movie.

On the 3 evenings a week when I do the Copaxone shot, it's a little harder to find time for movie-watching but I manage.

Many people in Louisiana are having to get along without power for many weeks. I'm very lucky to be able to sit here and watch movies.

This is probably highly impractical but I wonder if New Orleans could be moved upriver a bit? About 40 years ago someone from New Orleans remarked to me that all of the graves in New Orleans had to be built up on platforms. Dead people in that city can't be buried in the ground because it's too swampy, or so she said. That really surprised me, and when Katrina came along, you had to wonder about a place that needs to be shored up by levees that have a way of failing.

I believe it's nothing but swampy bayous in that area and climate change may bring more and more fierce hurricanes their way.

They could locate the town somewhere farther north in LA (or maybe in Mississippi) and restore all of their famous landmarks like the French Quarter, maybe even transport some of them as they are.

So there. I've started the month out by solving some problems for New Orleans. (I've never even been to New Orleans and anything I say about it is can be safely ignored.)
    Last edited by agate; 09-01-2021, 08:07 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

I have family-ish in NOLA. The city is below sea level, believe it or not. It was built on land fill (like some of Boston). It is true that graves are above ground. When digging a grave, you would hit water pretty quickly.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Agate,

Thank you for starting the September Chitchat thread. Before we know it, the holidays will be upon us!

The levees protected New Orleans during Ida, but outlying suburbs were flooded.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Relocating New Orleans would probably be infeasible and extraordinarily expensive. I have been there several times, and I cannot imagine moving Preservation Hall, which is in a basement of an old building. Or Brennan's, or even Cafe du Monde. Moving New Orleans would mean moving the history of this incredible place. I would expect that there would be New Orleans residents, who would oppose the idea. The residents know that hurricanes are part of living there, but they don't leave, because it is an amazing place. And, if you love jazz, it's awesome.

Yesterday, I ended the August Chitchat thread with my big news about the trimming of my eucalyptus tree. For me, it was a great way to end the month.

Today, I surveyed the backyard and found dropped limbs, as Father Foreman told me would happen. They're not huge or dangerous. I gathered and stacked them.

The netting for the sod we had laid years ago is coming through the dirt now, posing a potential falling problem for me. I pulled up as much as I could. But I need it all taken out. Actually, I need to have concrete poured over the yard. But, I can only do so much at a time.

The crew didn't take photos before they moved the statues and plants from around the pond and under the tree. So, they just put things where they thought they would go. I can't lift any of these things.

The pond pumps are clogged, although they did put a tarp over the pond.

Tomorrow, John and his friend, who built the brick retaining wall will be here. They will move everything to its proper location per my direction. John will clean the pumps and refill the pond. We'll discuss the sod netting problem.

John's friend will take some of the tools, saws, etc. in Jim's workshop for his business. I know that Jim is so pleased that his tools and musical instruments are being used to build and create and help this young man's business. If Jim had known him, before he passed, Jim would have given all of this to him.

We might discuss replacing the gutters, as that was a project they want to do together. Now that the tree is trimmed, we can move forward on that task.

My cell phone was upgraded, and the provider emails and texts me that I have to put the new SIM card in and reactivate my phone. I can't figure out how to do this, so John will put the SIM card in tomorrow. He put in the original one, so he knows what to do. He had to put in SIM cards for our iPad also.

John will also take some photos of our wonderful tree, which I'll post here.

Masks are required, of course. We will be outside the entire time and social distancing. I will be double masked. I hosed down the patio furniture and watered the plants this morning. So, I'll have a clean place to sit, while the men work.

I have done entirely too much over the past few days, and I'm feeling it.

Meanwhile, Virginia ~ how is your head cold? I hope you're feeling much better.

Be well and stay safe everyone ~

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Concrete instead of the sod, Rose? You've thought about possible ground covers and rejected the idea, no doubt, but there are some nice ones that spread around beautifully.

I once tended a small plot of ground outside our apartment where the previous resident had planted a combination of ajuga and creeping phlox. It was very maintenance-free, and the phlox had nice little blossoms.

Howie has been communicating with Mike Weins, I hope, and will soon have the log-in situation fixed.

I didn't call him today as I was waiting all day to hear from the people in charge of renewing my Medicaid. I had called one number for the required appointment arrangement and waited on hold for about 20 minutes and finally called an alternate number but was told they were very busy. So I left a message and was waiting for a callback.

First of the month--they're busy. They might even lose my message, and I'll call again if time passes.

In the sheaf of documents they sent me, there were two different deadlines, and I don't know which one is the real deadline--September 1 or September 30.

Anyway, I tried by September 1. That should be on record in their call log, in case they want to deny Medicaid because I haven't met the deadline.

Do these people know what they're doing? Is the pandemic getting to be too much for them?

I filled out the form online but when they sent me a summary of what I'd filled out, there were errors and omissions in it. I've also filled out the paper forms which aren't exactly the same as the online ones though they should be, IMO.

The forms are so long because they want to know a lot about whether I'm part of a tribe and if so, what tribe, and what tribal benefits I might already be getting. They also want to know who else is in the household and everything about those people. They're also scouring through any possible sources of income I might have. They list them. The list includes busking-- and collecting cans and bottles.

I have the impression from my neighbors who collect cans and bottles that each collector doesn't really earn much money at it, particularly since a car has to be driven to a recycling center and back, but the human services people are leaving no stone unturned.

And I doubt that street musicians typically earn much at all. I believe that the system allows a person to make a certain amount each month without needing to report it. It was $40--I'm not sure if that is still the limit.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Got little things happening in my life lately.

Watching movies during my spare time. Got a new interest in gardening for my pet's benefits. To add, trying to lose weight in preparation for the holidays!

Comment

Apparently the Army Corps of engineers has something to do with the easy flooding of NOLA. I read a book about ithat years ago Called Rising Tide: The great flood of the Mississippi (or something like that) by John Barry (who also wrote The Great Influenza which is an incredible true story of the Spanish Flu of 1918: Highy recommend it.)

Remamber to get your flu shot very soon. this is predicted to be a worse than usual flu season.

I hope everyone here has had their Covid Vaccines. Delta is so contagious and deadly to the unvaccinated. If you think that you don’t need one because you rarely see people, it only takes one carrier to infect you .

Comment

Virginia, I thought of you when I saw this observational research on interferon beta-1b in older PwMS:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Clinical characteristics of middle-aged and older patients with MS treated with interferon beta-1b: post-hoc analysis of a 2-year, prospective, international, observational study

"This study provides observational data on patients between 40 and 72 years of age, suggesting that IFNB-1b can be an effective and well-tolerated treatment option in MS patients of advanced age."

Despite trends towards the increased age of patients living with multiple sclerosis (MS), little is known about the response of older adults with MS to disease-modifying therapies (DMTs). Thus, a post-hoc analysis was undertaken using data from a 2-year, international, non-interventional, prospective cohort study (NCT00787657; BEACON: BEtaferon prospective study on Adherence, COping and Nurse support) of patients above the age of 40 years with MS and starting interferon beta-1b (IFNB-1b) treatment within 6 months before study entry. Middle-aged and older patients with MS were divided into two sub-groups: 41–50 years and > 50 years. Treatment with IFNB-1b started within 6 months before study entry. Patients were followed-up for a 2-year observation period. Assessments included disease history and course, annualised relapse rate (ARR), Expanded Disability Scale Score (EDSS), treatment adherence, Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS), and adverse events (AE). At baseline, the intention-to-treat (ITT) population (n = 481) aged 41–50 years (n = 327) and > 50 years (n = 154), had mean (standard deviation [SD]) ages of 45.1 (2.8) and 56.2 (4.2) years, maximum age of 72 years, and duration of MS since onset of symptoms of 3.9 (5.2) and 5.9 (7.1) years, respectively. At baseline, the proportion of patients with relapsing–remitting MS (RRMS) was 96.3 and 94.9 %, and secondary progressive MS (SPMS) was 3.7 and 5.1 %, in the 41–50 and > 50 years sub-groups, respectively. The ARR in the 2 years before study start was 0.93 (0.48) and 0.86 (0.54) for the 41–50 and > 50 years groups, respectively, and decreased since study start to 0.20 (1.09) and 0.07 (0.37), respectively. The percentage of patients with anxiety and depression, as measured by HADS, were stable over the study period. Polypharmacy (five or more medications) was seen in 32.3 and 41.2 % of patients aged 41–50 and > 50 years. No unexpected AEs were reported. This study provides observational data on patients between 40 and 72 years of age, suggesting that IFNB-1b can be an effective and well-tolerated treatment option in MS patients of advanced age. ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT00787657.
              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Suze-Q, thanks so much for the information, however I am not on interferon beta- 1b. I am on interferon beta 1A. However, I found this very interesting because I would think that if beta 1b is well tolerated in older individuals that very likely interferon beta 1a would be also.

I would think that it is good news for a number of people that they are doing some studies that include the older population. I know I couldn't be the only one who has been on an interferon for about 21 years. When I first took an interferon I was on Avonex and changed to Rebif in 2002 when it was introduced in the U.S. There was so much encouragement on this board when I made that move. There were a couple of people from Canada who were on it there and there was a lady who lived in Maryland who was in a study. She was very encouraging. She stayed on it after it was approved here by the FDA.

I am glad you posted this information. I hope there will be other people who will come on and read it.

I hope you are doing well.
                Virginia

Comment

• SuzE-Q
                  SuzE-Q commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I knew you were on Rebif. I remember when Cat was told there was no point in continuing hers, and then she had a catastrophic attack. So, this is good news for anyone on an interferon and wondering if they should stay on it or not.

• Virginia
                  Virginia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Suze-Q I had forgotten that Cat was told that. I think she was on beta 1b at the time that happened. I just hate it.

Agate, thanks for starting the September Chit-Chat thread. I got a kick out of what you proposed to do with New Orleans. As Rose said I think that would meet with a lot of opposition from the people in New Orleans and all over Louisiana. I think they are very proud of their city of jazz and all the culture it has brought to that area in normal times. As Ikoiko stated the city is below sea level and I certainly would not want to live there. Ikoiko, I hope your family that is there are all alright. I expect they are without power.

I am waiting for people to come and take a look at my heat pump. I thought Monday when it was so hot that it wasn't working right. I have left the thermostat exactly where it was since Monday and it has ranged from a low of 70 degrees in my house to a high of just shy of 77 degrees. 77 degrees is too hot and 70 is too cold. I hope they can fix whatever the problem is.

Rose, glad your tree has been nicely trimmed and you are once again happy with it. With the help of John and his friend it sounds like you are getting everything around your place in tip top shape. I still haven't decided if I want to keep any of my smaller shrubs or not. I don't think I have much time left to decide if they stay on any kind of schedule like they have given us. I am kind of torn between keeping three and letting them all go.

I haven't done anything this week, since going to get a haircut Monday. Today I finally vacuumed the dinning room and living room and the foyer and I stopped. I will try to finish downstairs after the heat pump people come. This is first head cold I have had in awhile and it kind of drug me further down. I have enough fatigue without anything else going on. I still think it was sitting under the overhead fan Monday night when it was so hot in the house. I have never been able to let a fan blow right on me. Another part was going out in 100 degree heat that same day trying to tag shrubs that I am not sure I want to keep. I felt like I was going to just give way when I got back in.

ANN - if you are able please let us know if you are alright! We also want to know about your Mother. Was any of the flooding and all that go with it in part of Pennsylvania where she lives? It is so bad in that area and in New York.
                Virginia

Comment

Family in NOLA are fine after Ida, but one was staying with a friend who lost part of her roof.

Comment

Prayers for all, who have been impacted by Ida's fury. The devastation is heart wrenching.

agate ~

Many homes in my neighborhood have concrete in their backyards with flower beds surrounding it. Maintenance is easier, as well as not using as much water for sod during drought conditions. When discussing this with John today, he suggested astro turf, which his HOA planted in all of the condos in his community. Much less expensive, easy to maintain, no watering, adds color to the yard. It's something to consider.

Here are today's photos of our magnificent sugar gum eucalyptus tree:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 5.26.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 5.27.08 PM.png

I'm so sorry that you are hassling with Medicaid. I wish so much that you didn't have to go through this garbage. Reporting on how much one makes from recycling? Oh dear. That's not right!

I don't know about your state, but in my state, people, who work for the state for X number of years have lifetime pensions. So, the people asking those questions and processing your answers have no idea what it's like to be you.

daughtergaited ~

What are you growing in your garden for your pet? Are you growing anything for yourself? Eating healthy is a good way to lose weight, and anything straight from the garden or farm is the best. Good Luck to you!

Sunshine ~

Thank you for the reminder of Barry's books, which are so relevant today. History repeats itself, which is where we are today.

I hope you and your loved ones are safe from Ida.

SuzE-Q ~

Always a pleasure to see a post from you. How are you?

Virginia ~

I hope you had your heat pump repaired so that you have the perfect environment in your home.

How about a compromise: keep your 3 plants and have the rest filled in with new plants?

((((((Big Hugs For Everyone))))) ~

Come on then. We all need one! If you are alone, hug yourself. There ... doesn't that feel better?

Let's keep positive, healing energy flowing for all of us trying to cope with life on Earth.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

THANKS!

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, your tree is an old beauty! You can tell she has been around awhile.

Sunshine, we have a river called the Neuse River close to Raleigh. We had had too much rain one time and it was about to overflow the banks. So the Army Corp of Engineers decided to let out a little. Well, I had a Niece who, at that time, was a single Mother with two kids still at home. She lives about 55 to 60 miles from here. She was flooded out of her home and there was nothing but mud. She was at work when it happened. She lost everything. Nothing was left. FEMA did come in and help her. Some other towns were flooded also. I didn't realize how bad off she was until after it was all over. I just assumed that she had lost some things, but not a lot of things that had to be replaced and I don't recall my older brother saying anything about it. She is very independent and came out of it, but it must have been tough. Since then she has remarried and they are doing fine. She later said she had no idea that they were going to be flooded from the water that was let out of the Neuse River. We, around here were fine, but several cities down from us were in bad shape.
                      Virginia

Comment

What a magnificent and shapely tree, Rose! I'd been hoping you'd post a photo and you did.

Comment

Ikoiko ~

Great news that your family are fine. Do they have power?

I have watched a good amount of news coverage about Ida's destruction, and I just feel so sad for people, who lost their homes in New Jersey with a tornado and 150 mph winds. And water surging through the NYC subway was like watching a disaster movie.

Meanwhile, in the West, fires are raging out of control. Obviously, Earth has a gigantic problem.

Virginia ~

What a harrowing story of your niece's flood experience! I don't know what year this happened, but it just proves that our infrastructure is outdated and insufficient to protect us. I think we can expect more fires, earthquakes, hurricanes, heavy rainfall, tornadoes, monsoons, typhoons, and ice melting in our future.

After our big quake a few years ago, the water mains in our area broke. We opened the front door to see water rushing down our street above the curb. We realized that there would be no way for us to evacuate Jonathan with the flood. And, if we could evacuate him, we had no where to go, because he needed all of his medical equipment and supplies.

Thank you for complimenting our tree. She is an old beauty, full of grace and history.

agate ~

Today, I asked the young man, who coordinated the tree trimming to send me his "before" photos of our magnificent tree.

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 3.38.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 3.40.11 PM.png

They give you an idea of her fullness, but her branches extended over our roof, the neighbor's roof, the greenbelt, and hung so low that I could reach up to touch them and pull on them. And, I am fairly short.

So, this is a tremendous improvement.

John and his friend are coming by tomorrow morning to take Jim's tools from his workshop. While here, John will once again deal with my cell phone. I got the instructions wrong. I need to leave the old SIM card in to reactivate, then put in the new SIM card. That sounds backward to me. But that is how it works.

I tried to get the SIM card out this morning, but I was afraid I would damage it. John is quite adept at these things, of course, so I defer to him. Such a blessing John is.

Stay safe, be well, prayers for all and healing, positive energy on the way ~

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

THANKS!

Comment

My Assurance Wireless government-issue smartphone has no SIM card, and so in recent years I've been spared the whole SIM card experience for a while. My recollection of SIM cards I have known isn't pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                            X