Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Message from renee

This is renee's message posted with her OK:

Hey Joan. Are you doing okay out there- got shots, no covid, safe?

My extended family fared well and now are dealing with anxieties a year of isolation, sometimes alone. Not me. This nursing rehab became a dirty little statistic; 10 patients died that I know of and 34 recovered- nearly all from my unit. Half the staff were very sloppy about wearing pandemic gear. "Oh, it's so hot... whine (slap)" Administration stopped telling us about # staff infections. Those who brought it in to patients were idiots. Ultimately many staff did not get vaccines. More idiots.

Jan 6 got the first vaccine... Three weeks later got a second shot and two hours later I tested positive and was moved into quarantine for a ridiculously teeny case of the plague. My roommates were not as lucky as I.

Late April my [dear friend] died suddenly. We talked nearly every day if we did not see each other- pretty good for a couple of 23 years who remained close but not in the same household for the next twenty. He was my best friend and my home. ...

I flipped out at the staff here soon after because they were resigned to keeping me indefinitely for wound care. Ten minutes/week without changing a treatment that was going nowhere, I fired them and was carted off to a good small hospital (shrink ward) with a serious Wound Center. After a night with a babysitter and paper bags for garbage cans, an assortment of hospital people came through including a shrink. She later came to say I didn't belong in the behavioral unit, my rehab facility did not screen me, the hospital was not about to send me back and the docs didn't want to give me a med bed. YAY. My shrink room was a single with plastic utensils and no phones because phones call 911 and can be used as projectiles. No shoes with shoelaces.

I stayed in bed having down time. This Wound Care Center took MRIs, xrays, CT scan of the 6cm wound and discovered osteomyelitis at the base of this pressure wound- no wonder I hadn't healed.

Now I have a pic line with antibiotics, a weekly visit at hospital wound care and when the infection goes away, I am heading to a non-profit nursing rehab with hospital-based wound care center nearby.

My apartment lease was ended and I anticipate a Medicaid bank cleanout when the the disaster is called off. My van backup housing- nay!

Thanksgiving was minimalist. "Thank you for the good stuff, now back off and cut me a break." Well, that didn't happen. I don't believe things necessarily happen for any reason other than because they can. We make choices and it's our job to be alive. In my father's belongings is a letter written by George Bernard Shaw to one of my dad's patients who was writing a book he hoped to publish. GBS loved to write long letters to anyone who approached him. The Shaw library in Dublin had a fire several years ago that destroyed some of the collection. The PLAN is to investigate the exchange between the two men and see if Dublin would like the letter. What a great mission and an excuse to see Dublin, drink stout, eat mussels and hear music.

If I can't do that there is B. Rescue a senior cat who has been in a shelter too long. Physical limitations make both good plans.

I hope everyone is intact. This place is a head spinner. Be well and please send my greetings. Here's a picture of bad institutional food.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Hi Renee…
    what a mess you have had. Best of luck as things seem to be getting better controlled.
    that story about the Shaw letter was great. Thanks for sharing it.
    good luck Renee.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

So many things to comment on. Your spunk and assertiveness and being a woman ended you up in the psych ward: kudos to the psych who recognized sexism when s/he saw it. And good for you for fighting like a gladiator.

That food looks so unappealing and lacking in nutrition: no excuse for that. They could as easily use whole wheat bread firstly— what is the spread on it? It looks very awful….Would be fun to. Post a photo on it or send a picture of it to whoever you think would listen: AARP, docs, local newspaper come to mind.

What you are going through shouldn’t happen to anyone. Nota single soul. I am so glad to hear from you and hope you will mend with the more medically accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Comment

Sunshine, since you mentioned the spread on the sandwich I took a closer look at it. Might it be someone's idea of a tuna salad sandwich? It looks like a pale type of oatmeal though! And what are those things in the glass container?

Trying to recover in a place with food like that has to be quite an uphill battle.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Oh Renee, what a mess. So sorry to read about what you have been going through. The loss of your longtime friend must have been one of the hardest, especially with you stuck in that h---l hole you were in. Glad you got your back up and started fighting. I hope new treatment begins to kick in and you start on your way back real soon. I think, as much as you love cats, that might be a good thing to consider.

That food is the most unappetizing I have seen in a long time.

Hope you keep getting stronger and good for that Doc who knew you didn't belong in that behavioral place. You have been in that rehab so long now. You needed out and finally got to a little better place through your own grit and determination. You are one of the strongest persons I know. Don't let that change.

The GBS story sounds very interesting. Would be nice to know the whole story.

Stay positive and keep your humor like you always have.
          Virginia

Comment

((((((Renee)))))) ~

What a nightmare you have endured! I can't even begin to imagine all that you have gone through, and I admire your strength and determination.

Your first "rehab" sounds absolutely despicable. No one should be in that kind of environment. Today, I watched an interview about President Biden's Human Infrastructure plan, which includes cleaning up long term care facilities and supporting in home care. There is hope on the horizon, if it passes and is implemented quickly and effectively.

I'm thankful that you are receiving proper care for your wound now. I hope that you are receiving proper food now, a balanced, nutritious diet.

From the photo, I am guessing that is a version of tuna salad on plain white bread. No lettuce, tomato, or any kind of sandwich frills. In the small glass container, I'm guessing that is an assortment of beans. Perhaps it was an attempt at bean salad? Sorbet, and a glass of milk. It is just shameful.

I am so sorry for your loss of your dear friend. You must miss your daily contact with him so much. I hope you feel his presence watching over you, and your memories bring you comfort and peace.

Keep fighting for yourself, although you shouldn't have to do that, and keep your sense of humor sharp and keen. Know that you have many friends here, who love and support you.

Healing prayers on the way ~

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

There was an additional message from renee:

There is a resident (of sound mind) here who has said, " When I get out of here, I'm putting my daughter (responsible for her placement at the facility) up for adoption." She has a lovely laugh. Later, Joan
              It looks as if renee isn't seeing the posts here and so wouldn't have seen your replies. Anyway, in case she doesn't have access to them, I copied them over to her as happens with replies to Tom Cat's messages.

Comment

Thanks Agate, you are so appreciated. Personally, I think that lady should put her daughter up for adoption.
                Virginia

Comment

Working...
                X