Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID breakthrough cases in MA. Putting things in context .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID breakthrough cases in MA. Putting things in context .

What is a breakthrough COVID case, how common are they, and how are they being tracked? Here's what you should know.
    What is a breakthrough COVID case?

A vaccine breakthrough case occurs when a person tests positive for COVID-19 after they've been fully vaccinated against the disease.

A person is considered “fully vaccinated” two weeks after receiving the second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna COVID vaccine, or two weeks after receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
    How many breakthrough COVID cases has Massachusetts had?

Public health officials have tracked 4,450 "breakthrough" cases of COVID-19 among Massachusetts residents fully vaccinated against the disease, representing about one-tenth of 1% of the roughly 4.2 million people immunized.

About 92% of the infections in vaccinated residents did not require hospitalizations, while 303 people, or 6.8%, were hospitalized, according to state Department of Public Health data through July 10.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... the breakthrough data last week based on a public records request.

Seventy-nine vaccinated residents in Massachusetts died from COVID-19, either without being hospitalized or following a hospital stay, DPH said. That death toll reflects 1.78% of the 4,450 confirmed breakthrough cases and 0.0019% of the 4,195,844 people fully vaccinated as of July 10.

“All available data continue to support that all 3 vaccines used in the US are highly protective against severe disease and death from all known variants of COVID-19. The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to get vaccinated,” the DPH said Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....

1:59
    Breakthrough Cases Cause COVID Concerns on Cape Cod
    There has been a cluster of breakthrough coronavirus cases among vaccinated people in Provincetown.How many total breakthrough cases have occurred in the US?

The CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported breakthrough cases to only reporting hospitalizations or deaths on May 1, the agency said.

That means the total number of breakthrough cases at this point is not made publicly available, but federal health officials did track all breakthrough cases from January of this year through April 30, 2021.

The CDC says that in that time period, a total of 10,262 breakthrough COVID cases were reported in 46 U.S. states and territories. About 63% of those cases were in women, with the median patient age at 58 years.

The CDC says 27% of those breakthrough infections were asymptomatic, while 2% died.

About 10% of those breakthrough cases were hospitalized, officials said, but among those hospitalized, 29% were asymptomatic or hospitalized for a reason other than COVID
    2:03
    CDC Warns COVID-19 Becoming ‘Pandemic of the Unvaccinated'How common are breakthrough COVID cases?

While breakthrough cases have been considered rare, they are possible and even "expected," per the CDC. Experts have said that while the vaccine itself cannot give you the virus, it is also not 100% effective at preventing the virus entirely, though those who receive the vaccine are far less likely to be hospitalized or die from it, data shows.

"COVID-19 vaccines are effective and are a critical tool to bring the pandemic under control," the CDC's website reads. "However, no vaccines are 100% effective at preventing illness in vaccinated people. There will be a small percentage of fully vaccinated people who still get sick, are hospitalized, or die from COVID-19."

The CDC says this is true of all vaccines: not one prevents illness 100% of the time.

Massachusetts health officials continue to urge those who have not gotten vaccinated yet to do so.

“Yes, the vaccines aren’t perfect. We expect that some folks will still be infected. But both in the studies and in real-life evidence they are awfully good,” Dr. Eric Rubin, an infectious disease physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....
    More on COVID-19 in Massachusetts

Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Important information to keep in mind, isn't it? We shouldn't expect perfection from any vaccine.

We're really lucky to have a vaccine at all. It's pretty clear that there would have been far more deaths without those vaccines.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Thanks Linda! I agree with Agate - far more deaths and definitely far more cases and hospitalizations if we had not had the vaccines. I don't know why people are so hesitant to take this vaccine when we have polio vaccines, smallpox vaccines, pneumonia vaccines, and on and on. The vaccines are not perfect, but having COVID is so much worse than taking our chances with the vaccines. Just my opinion I realize.
      Virginia

Comment

Massachusetts has a vaccination rate of 62%., btw.
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

I don't know why people are so hesitant to take this vaccine when we have polio vaccines, smallpox vaccines, pneumonia vaccines, and on and on.
          Virginia, many of them are opposed to any vaccines and refuse to get them or to have their children vaccinated. It's been creating problems because some diseases that were almost wiped out are now threatening to make a comeback because not enough people have been vaccinated.

There have been some theories about vaccines causing disorders of various kinds and genetic defects.. Autism is a big concern even though there's never been any evidence that vaccines cause it or any disease.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

It seems that some of the vaccine resistance is political, as people believe misinformation on certain social media platforms and conservative news networks.

Another issue may be people, who are undocumented, and fear deportation, because they don't have the proper ID to get the vaccine.

In addition to Bezos' space flight this morning, MSNBC has had wall to wall coverage on COVID today. Maps showed the states where it is increasing and spiking. It is spiking in California.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

It's obvious COVID is not going away any time soon, and the longer it continues, the more it may mutate.

Breakthrough COVID is occurring in the White House, as well as in Nancy Pelosi's office.

The percentage of fully vaccinated people with breakthrough COVID may be underestimated. Unless someone is tested regularly for COVID, it's possible that that person has an asymptomatic case and doesn't know it. If you're an athlete, a celebrity, a politician, etc., you get tested regularly. The rest of us don't get tested at all.

This is why I am committed to wearing a mask for the rest of my life.

It is just as important now to be safe as it was last year, when COVID began.

Prayers for all of us that we can combat this plague.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Well, I could hardly believe it, but Sean Hannity came out strongly in favor of the vaccine. Why didn't he do it a long time ago? He needs to talk to his colleagues Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham. I don't listen to any of them so maybe he has. I think their listeners believe so strongly in them that they need to say what they know to be true....that the vaccines do work. It might save some lives.
              Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I saw that same news report, and I was stunned. And I don't know whether he has any clout now with voters, but Mitch McConnell also told people to get the vaccine. Even the former president has been vaccinated and finally told his followers to do the same. Unfortunately, that was like closing the barn door after the horses had escaped. As we all know, in the beginning, his attitude was that COVID was no worse than a cold, it would go away in the summer, maybe we should inject disinfectants ...

Everything is political, and now the most political thing is COVID. The Delta variant doesn't care how we voted, whether we voted, what color or age we are; it is indiscriminate in wreaking havoc on all of us. Even determining where it started (a lab? a bat?) politicizes this disease. So, naturally, vaccines are political fodder.

Obviously, when to open up and relax COVID safety precautions is also politically motivated. It's the economy. Wearing a mask is political. We open up, we stop wearing masks, and we're back to the beginning again. Cases are increasing rapidly worldwide. Isn't it just common sense that this was a bad idea? This is what happens every time we try to step out of the COVID confines to be "normal" again. We are never going to get even close to normal, if we don't continue to be safe with masks, social distancing ~ the gamut we all know by now.

Yes, I am a broken record, and I apologize. But we all have to sacrifice "normal" to be able to get to something resembling normal. Reality may be that it will never be like it was before for any of us.

Catt Sadler, who is an entertainment reporter, has been documenting her COVID breakthrough journey over the past 14 days. She caught COVID from her 20 year old son, who is unvaccinated, while she was caring for him. Catt was interviewed today on The View. Here's the clip of her interview:

I appreciated Catt's comment about having a "false sense of security" after being fully vaccinated. I think that will be a factor in the spike in COVID cases and the opening of our venues and relaxing mask requirements.

None of us want to endure what Catt has been dealing with for 14 days and counting. We need to continue to be as safe as possible to avoid her fate.

Prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
                X