No announcement yet.

July, 2021 Chit Chat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunshine, I must not have explained this very well. On June 30 I took the paratransit van service that I usually use to a hospital complex that is only about 10 minutes away and got the J&J vaccine. My son had offered to take me for the vaccine but I kept looking and never was able to find a place that gave the J&J vaccine and wasn't a place where there might be long waits, inaccessible bathrooms, etc.

Finally this one opened up, and I've been to other buildings in that complex and so had a good idea what I was in for when there. I called the hospital pharmacy about getting the vaccine when I received an e-mail from them letting me know that this was possible. They told me when the least busy times were (11 to 4) and that worked well for me. I waited only about 45 minutes for the shot.

I really didn't want my son to have to use his time and energy just taking me for a vaccine, possibly twice. He is completely overloaded as it is.

So if I've made things more difficult than they needed to be for myself, it was entirely my choice. I had other options, to be sure.

Looks as if J&J is less effective than the other two but I'm continuing to wear a mask every time I'm going to encounter people. And washing my hands diligently and disinfecting surfaces.
    Last edited by agate; 07-08-2021, 08:47 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

WARNING: Below post is a rant!!!

I am very upset. I got a notice in the mail that my Doctor is leaving. I just feel like I cannot go through this again. I need a Doctor who knows my situation and my health problems who will be there when I need them. I liked my Doctor and hate having to give her up. They have always kept someone in that practice who had been in practice for awhile and knew medicine. The one I have now came from Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. The one before that had practiced for about 15 years. This is my Primary Care Doctor not my Neurologist.

I now have 3 choices and just from the looks of them I don't like any of them. One is Nicole Licato who attended DNP East Carolina University, a Nurse Practitioner who likes working with young people (that lets me out). Then there is Dr. Igbal, who graduated from Medical University of the Americas, again no prior experience in practicing. The last one is Dr. Renjel who graduated from MBBS, University of Queensland. He is a male, very, very young looking. So not much to choose from.

Since I am on Medicare I can't just say I will go here or there. I have to stay where they take Medicare patients. I also have to stay close to my house and this is the closest to my house I can get.

Heck! I am too old to train another Doctor. By the way, this is my Primary Care Doctor. I had rather it be my Neurologist than my PCP. DARN
      Virginia

Comment

So sorry to hear this, Virginia. I truly understand.

I’ve been through this with neuros and more recently with my internist. I absolutely need to find a new one.

ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Starting with a new NP or doctor can be very stressful. I completely understand your anxiety.

I looked up your three candidates, read their statements, watched their videos, and read their reviews. They all seem to have completed their education about the same time, so it's likely that they are about the same age. They all have good reviews by patients. I liked all of them.

In my experience, young doctors have been eager and enthusiastic. They haven't burned out, seen so many patients over decades that they are bored or tired, and they haven't been disillusioned by the politics of medicine. They are hopeful and want to figure out what is wrong with you and how they can help you.

When we first met our current PCP in 2000, he was so young, I didn't know whether to shake his hand or change his diaper. (That's a joke, of course.) Now, 21 years later, I can say that he did everything he could for our family, for our boys and for Jim. We love him, as do all of his patients, because he is kind, compassionate, and gentle. And he fights for his patients to get what they need.

A very young intensivist/pulmonologist saved Michael's and Jon's lives many times. Several young ER physicians provided outstanding care for Jon and Michael.

Jim's radiology oncologist was also fresh from residency, but he took more time with us than the previous older/more entrenched radiology oncologist did. He was caring and straight-forward, and he listened to us. We and his other patients loved him.

Duke is a highly respected university, so I'm certain these three people wouldn't have been hired, if they didn't have the credentials and the qualifications to serve in their system.

In the 70s, I appeared in ER near death, and so much blood was drawn for testing over 4 hours, they had to draw from inside my thigh. The doctors told my then-husband to call my family, because my blood pressure was rapidly dropping.

Guess who saved my life? An intern! Not even a resident, but an intern in his 20s. He set off to research my symptoms, and he determined that I had septicemia from a procedure, which I had done a few days previously. I was given the appropriate antibiotic via IV.

Changing doctors is inevitable for you, but I think you have three promising choices. Years from now, the NP/doctor you choose will apply what s/he learned from you about MS, hyperthyroid, and hypertension to her/his patients. Consider yourself a pioneer for those future patients.

Deep breaths. Change is difficult. But you may just find that your health improves with a new provider.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!
          Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 07-09-2021, 02:48 PM.
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

It is treating my hypothyroid that I am concerned about. This usually takes someone with quite a lot of knowledge to know how to up the medicine and most young internist do not have that kind of knowledge. If I was just going for other things it would not be as bad. That was the first thing I thought about. The thyroid is hard to regulate sometimes and mine has turned out to be. If they had an endocrinologist in that practice I would go there.
            Virginia

Comment

I am so upset about something that my Nephew who's Grandmother just died told me. He called me from New Jersey and told me that sometime either yesterday or today his Grandmother's Sister and her husband were murdered in their home. I have known them as long as I had known his Grandmother. Her name was Mary Lou and she was called Memi by my nephews and my niece. They were the nicest people. They all grew up together and by all I mean Mary Lou, her husband D.P., Elaine (the Grandmother who died) and her husband, John. A very close knit family. They all celebrated Thanksgiving here. Mary Lou and DP came from Southern Pines and brought John's Mother. I joined them for several years. Their Christmas was spent at Mary Lou's and DPs. It is like the whole family has just been wiped out this week.

They don't know any details yet. However my Nephew and I think it was probably a robbery. D.P. had a number of businesses and was worth quite a lot and given that it is a small town someone might have thought he kept cash in his home. This is just unreal. She was preparing to go to her Sister's funeral when she was killed.

I can believe Elaine, the Grandmother is gone because she was sick, but Mary Lou and D.P. are another matter. My Nephew is working in New Jersey and he was so upset. My brother had called and told him. He said his Dad was so upset but he didn't want to call him back, but he just had to talk to someone. They will never get over this. My SIL was very, very close to her Aunt. They talked at least once a week without fail.
              Last edited by Virginia; 07-09-2021, 08:39 PM.
              Virginia

Comment

Virginia, how terrible! What a nightmare for the family--and how tragic that two lives were so brutally cut off.

It may have been a robbery as you think. Even people who don't keep cash in their home have electronics, and that's often what gets stolen. It's so pricey that it really appeals to thieves, apparently.

So the thieves may have been afraid that the people would be witnesses against them. There are very heartless people out there, and often they've become so heartless because they're supporting a drug habit. It's sad sad sad.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Oh, Virginia, I am so sorry. What a shock to your SIL and your nephew.

How devastating to suffer so much loss at once, especially so violently.

I hope they catch those responsible quickly.
                  Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

I am so very sorry for your family's unimaginable loss, and you are all in my prayers. While you were all prepared for Elaine's passing, the loss of DP and Mary Lou is shocking and horrifying. My heart is breaking for you. I hope you feel the love surrounding you now, and the virtual hugs being sent to you and your family.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!
                    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thank you Agate, Suze-Q and Rose. It has been on the news since last night and on the internet. One reporter that I saw last night said that the small community was very sad, that they had been very well thought of and very well known. Today on the internet the sheriff in that county is asking for help and for people to come forth with information. The sheriff's office is offering $2000.00 for any information that would lead to an arrest. He said it was a cowardly act and the people or person responsible for this crime need to be brought to justice.

A close family friend described D.P. as a successful businessman and property owner in the area. He said the couple was known for involvement and generosity at church. He went on to say "very honest, wonderful person, and his wife was just a great lady. They always carried themselves well. They respected other people and they loved live."

I have still not spoken directly to any of my family with the exception of my Nephew last night. My oldest Niece came from out of town to see me today and brought me a plant. Her Dad is my brother who lives in S.C. He called Grayson for something last night and heard about it and had called my Niece. Neither she nor I slept last night. I took a sleeping pill and went to bed about 1:15AM, said prayers and went to sleep, but was awake within two hours. I tossed and turned and couldn't get this out of my mind. My nephew had called me back last night and had calmed down some, but he kept saying neither of these people would hurt a fly, they did good in the community and why couldn't they be left alone to die in peace. I had no answers for him or for any of us.

My Niece said she had heard on one news report that it was an employee of D.P.'s who called the police. D.P. was to pick him up and he didn't show up which never happened and there was no answer when he called him. The sheriff's office went out on what they call a well fare check and found one of them shot on the porch and the other one inside the house.

My MS is in full swing. I have burning in my feet, legs and hands since I woke in the early morning hours and paresthesias(sp) is awful. I think if they could catch whoever did this it might help just a little bit. I don't know if they are going on with visitation for Elaine Monday night as planned. I suppose they are, but since I am unable to go I haven't tried to find out. She was to be buried Tuesday down close to where her Sister is. I guess she still will be. I am glad all my other family have someone close they can talk to or someone they can call. This is one time I do not like being alone, but really do not want to call any neighbors. So, I come on here and try to get it out. I worry about John who just lost his wife of so many years and now has lost part of what would have been his support network. I can't imagine what he is going through. His and Elaine's son and DIL moved in while Elaine was sick and they are still there, so maybe they will keep staying for awhile.

Thanks to any who are still listening to me.

Virginia

Comment

We are listening, Virginia! Unfortunately, as you know, weekends are quieter around here--but what you've been going through has been horrible.

No wonder the MS is acting up. There's nothing like stress, and lack of sleep too. If you can think of something calming to do, maybe it would take your mind off the situation temporarily.

Since people with MS do react very badly to stress, or so I understand, it might be good if you could detach yourself from it as much as you can. Of course you'll probably need to do the usual things people do when there are deaths in the family but if you make up your mind that you're going to be calm in spite of the tension and grief around you, because you absolutely have to be (your body won't allow you to give way to much emotion, probably), that might be one way to survive this bad patch in one piece.

It sounds as if some people are rallying around and trying to be of help. I am really glad that there is a supportive community there.

Comment

We are listening, Virginia. I just went online, there are numerous news reports about this. Nothing more than what you recounted.

Since they sound like they were much loved by the community, the police will work especially hard to find those responsible, especially when they were a senior couple. I did note that details of the tragedy were scarce in the news reports, this usually means the police are keeping information close to the vest as it is important to the investigation that it not get out in the public.

My MS goes crazy if I'm under stress and especially if I don't get enough sleep, it's typically sensory issues and weakness in my legs. So, please try to sleep if you can, it's so important to your physical health.

I am glad you can be there for your niece and nephew to talk to, that is really important! You are doing something beneficial to help them through it, they clearly feel like they can turn to you for support.

What an awful set of circumstances, just on the heels of losing Elaine. I am so sorry.

Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Oh Virginia. This is so unfathomable. My heart goes out to you and your entire family. I have no words that can describe it, and only you know how this truly feels, it is simply hideous and evil.
                            I am sorry I didn’t see your post until just now. Yesterday the BT was down, or at least I couldn’t load it.

Comment

BT was probably down for everyone, I think, Sunshine--yesterday all day until about 10:30 PM Pacific Time. I don't know what happened but am glad it was fixed. Virginia hasn't been heard from though she was notified that BT was down. Virginia, I hope you can check in.

Comment

I am here and in one piece - well I think! I have not talked to anyone in person since Saturday. My Nephew who was working in New Jersey called Saturday night and said he was going to work through the night Sunday night and fly home this morning to be with his Mother at visitation for his Grandmother. He wanted to pick me up and take me with him, but he did not call me back yesterday to set it up for tonight. It was just as well. There is no way I could go. My condition is not good and I don't even have the strength to consider it.

Suze-Q, thank you for looking this up and posting about it. Yes they are keeping the investigation close to the vest. We don't even know how they were killed. The last time I talked to my Nephew Saturday night he was hoping they were shot because he figured that would be quicker. They could have been stabbed or beaten or anything as far as the family knows.

Mary Lou and D.P. had one child, a son named Daniel. He died somewhere around 20 years or so ago from cancer. He left a wife (now remarried) and two small children. So, the grandchildren are the closest to them. One Grandchild was a boy and one was a girl. The girl is in charge of the investigation because she is executor of their estate. She had not been given any more details the last I heard. My Nephew said one of them must have been trying to get to the telephone because they think it is off the hook. He said that even Saturday night if you called that number you got a busy signal.

As far as I can tell from Facebook and the last conversation I had with my Nephew who was in New Jersey the family is holding up pretty good. I think they are relying on each other. My SIL is a very social person and is the member of a group at the Methodist church they attended. She has been a member of this group of women since her children were small. They are very close and will rally around her as will the people she worked with at the Supreme Court. She was there a long time and went back and helped them out Jan thru March of this year. Of course she has her 3 children and her new Grandbaby. Her brother is going to talk to recovering drug addicts today. He use to work with them and he said on Facebook that this helped him more than anything.

My middle brother is very, very angry with me and my oldest Niece who came Saturday. I called to tell him she had left and he was very angry and mean. All I know is that it has something to do with something that happened at a family reunion they all attended a couple of months ago. My oldest brother had it in S.C. and everyone went except me. I have no idea what this is about other than my Niece is into genealogy and gave a talk. This brother didn't like something she said. I knew nothing about this when I called to tell him we had a nice time and not realizing he was angry with her I laughed at something that had come up and he became very, very angry with me also. He practically hung up in my face. In a very mean voice he said I will talk to you later and hung up. Of course he will be with all the family and he has his wife so he will be fine. I guess this happens in families, but I would like to know what it is that is so upsetting to him.

I am hanging in here, but I feel like I am taking this out on all of you because I am very isolated right now. I just do not feel like calling any neighbors. They would come over and I am just plain and simply not up to company right now.

Thanks again for being here for me. I guess, as Jeanie would say you are family.

Virginia

Comment

Working...
                                X