Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

Hello everyone,

I have an eight year old girl with neurological disorder, she was born with occipital encephalocelle and had a repair of meningocelle just hours after she was born, later developed hydrocephalus at three months, has a VP Shunt. She has chronic constipation and can not go without medication. Epileptic and has cerebral palsy right side of the body. she is an angel, and we have ups and downs though the past few months she has been more aggressive than before as well as frequent tempers throughout the day.

I would not to start medication as the side effects worry me, is there anyone who has ideas that can help ?

I like taking her for outings and play areas but now its become a real challenge as she battles and kicks and pushes and screams.
    She has a younger sister 4 years old and she often gets angry at her too and screams if the young one calls me mom or I call my youngest child by name, she says only me, only my name and this is even when my other kids call me, she also gets angry. She has always been possessive but now she gets angry for longer and frequent.
    If anyone has had a child with similar problems please share ideas.

Hi Yusra's Mom and welcome to Braintalk. I hope you don't mind - I've copied your post into the Child Neurology section of this website - there are lots of very friendly Moms there with experience in conditions such as your daughter's. I hope you'll have lots of info and support in no time at all!
    Warm welcome, Donna
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Comment

Thank you Donna I have not been on this website for long time I have had challenging times. I still have same problems but now I am willing for her to take medications as it’s a danger for herself as she is more violent and uncontrollable. Any ideas from moms who have been successful using medicine to calm down their kids ? Pls share .

Comment

Welcome, Yusra's Mom,

I haven't taken part in the Child Neurology forum but would like to welcome you--and to say that you're probably wise to be hesitant about giving any medicine to your child. I understand that there are some effective drugs for the problems you're describing but the prescribing doctor should know your situation well and know your child well and not be one of those doctors who writes prescriptions the minute one is suggested.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Yusra's Mom)))))) ~

BACK TO BRAINTALK!

I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your post from 2013, but I may have posted to you on the Child Neurology forum, in response to Donna's post there.

Unfortunately, we have very few members, who post on Child Neurology now, and those, who do post, don't have children with aggressive behaviors.

One possible factor for consideration in the acceleration of Yusra's aggression may pertain to hormones. She is about 16 now, and adolescence is a period of extreme hormonal changes. If she is menstruating, she may be experiencing PMS.

My son, Jonathan, had life-threatening seizures at the ages of 2, 13, 18, 26, during his 40s. These are ages, when hormones change, so I attributed the seizures to that, as did some of his physicians.

Has Yusra been through any kind of behavior modification program? Does she receive any kind of therapy?

What do her doctors recommend? Most of them probably want to prescribe medication, but you might ask for more detailed explanations for her behavior, before you give them to her. You might inquire about having her hormones tested to see what her levels are.

I suggest that you research all of the medications Yusra is taking for side effects and interactions. There might be an explanation there, as some drugs can cause side effects of irritability.

If it is determined that Yusra would benefit from medication, and that medication can be tolerated well with her other meds, you might consider starting her on a small dose and watching her for any changes ~ good or bad.

I did this for Jonathan in 2012, when the ICU intensivist guilted me into giving Jon Synthroid for his thyroid. I knew that it would be awful for Jon, which is why I had refused it for several years. Three weeks later on the smallest dose, Jim and I decided to wean him off of it. Jon had every adverse side effect, which I had predicted. But, we tried it, and the doctors realized that I was right. Sometimes, we have to try, just in case we're wrong.

Please know that I, and many other parents of special needs children, understand what you are experiencing. It is frustrating, painful, anxiety-producing, exhausting, and energy-draining. As you said, Yusra is an angel, and our angels were entrusted in our care and love, because we could withstand whatever stress it involved to be their mother.

I wish I could be of more help to you. Yusra and you are in my prayers. May you find an answer to help your angel.

Love & Light,

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

THANKS!

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
          X