Fourth cat, same motel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourth cat, same motel.

Hey all, I have been doing some rescuing at a motel about a mile and a half from me. Started out as a post to a FB emergency page that a feral needing trapping so I volunteered. It was during the terribly cold weather we got here in Michigan. It was a motel and the finder also had a friendly that needed help so I got the friendly and vetted and sent to rescue then trapped the feral who turned out to be very afraid and not feral. I was worried about him because he was eating and using the litter box but never moved in my presence. I was afraid he was becoming depressed. He would let me scratch his head and cheeks but we took things slow. I went in one morning and he must have decided over night that he wasn't going to be afraid anymore because I went in and he stood right up and started meowing at me for his breakfast and some lovins. Totally different cat. It was amazing. So i sent him to his foster and he went from there into rescue. He was a senior kitty all they could guess was over 8 years. Well I just found out he passed in his sleep, no obvious sickness or signs of distress. I am crushed. A few of us girls worked on getting him saved and they are all upset over it also. They loved him so much that the rescue is getting him cremated and giving me his ashes. They don't usually do that but I think they did mostly as a courtesy to me. Very sad but at least he didn't pass alone in the woods behind the motel and he was fed, warm and loved before he passed.

So far I have taken three kitties from that motel and are working on two more. There is a short road that runs along side the motel which backs onto woods. People are going down that road and dumping their cats. Took out a very pregnant mama from there, she was new, must have just been dumped and got her to rescue where she had 4 babies five days later. The cat I have now is a very senior calico we have named Tatsu after a super heroine because of her black mask. she is lovely but doesn't get along with other animals which may limit her chances of finding a home. Here are a couple short videos of our sweet girl.
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Last edited by houghchrst; 03-21-2021, 05:02 AM.

Chris, thank you for doing this work. You are helping fellow beings. That’s a huge thing.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

So many cats out there suffering and so few people who care about them! It's very kind of you to tend to the cats that are dumped at the motel. I'm sure that the kitty who passed so suddenly appreciated not having to die out in the cold.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

I wonder why they are dumping their cats, it sucks =( They are pets too and they are very lovable. They are even capable of bringing good luck to the people who housed them based on beliefs.

Comment

Most people who dump cats do it for any number of reasons, peeing outside of their litter box, biting a child ( who is usually mistreating the cat and the cat got fed up), illness, just can't afford, or have time for them, fleas, spraying because they are not neutered, animal gets pregnant because they did not spay. Often they dump them because they get a new pet and don't know how to prepare their cat for the new pet and just decide the cat has to go, moving, having a new baby. People don't stop and think before they get a cat that it can be a 12 to 20 yr commitment. It can be the same as raising a child. Money, food, doctors. People see cute and fuzzy and think they have to have one. It is sad. three of the four cats I rescued were friendly, one being pregnant.
          Last edited by houghchrst; 04-10-2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

That explains a lot. Cats when left alone, they can get lonely, depressed, and even disturbed. They need their daily dose of love and attention to stay happy and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetChoco View Post
              That explains a lot. Cats when left alone, they can get lonely, depressed, and even disturbed. They need their daily dose of love and attention to stay happy and healthy.
              Yes, you are right. You need to give your cat plenty of attention when you're home and provide her with toys and entertainment when you're not around.

Comment

Working...
              X