Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2020 Chat & Musings

Good August, Beautiful People!

I hope the day and the month and your weather will be good for you.

We made it this far through the pandemic, let’s keep up our vigilance.

(That’s a nod to Cheri in the title. We miss you.)

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-01-2020, 07:21 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Many thanks, ANN, for starting this thread.

Howie, good news probably for you--Social Security astonished me today by paying on the 1st. Hope that will be true for you as well!

There's been another message from Tom Cat--I'll try to post it today.

I believe that our hot spell (every day last week was well over 90') is about to end. The forecast is for the 80s. I'll take it.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Thanks Ann, for getting us started. I didn't see Agate's post in the July thread until just now. 1PM is a little late to get it started.

I need my housekeeper. I am tired, and my housework is not getting done.

I wonder how Jeanie is today. I hope she is beginning to get some better.
      Virginia

Comment

We are getting ready for the Hurricane. It is a good trial run.

Virginia, how does one recruit a new housekeeeper? Locally we have the VNA and the Nurse On Call organization, and you can have a housekeeper for at least 2 hours a week, more if you want it. They can also provide companionship. It’s all out of pocket.
        I wonder if you have something like that. They are vetted, and they work with people who have medical needs. They also provide PT, OT, RN care, transportation to doc visits.

Comment

:) I am here. Mostly reading. Andy did my groceries yesterday and he and Torre came today and put the ointment on my Shingles. They feel like little burns here there and all over my stomach and back.

Andy put all the loose stuff away for the hurricane. I think it will miss us. Right now is bright Sun but windy. I just hope the power stays on. Stay home and stay safe. Jeanie :)

Comment

((((((Hugs to All))))))

I have been watching the Weather Channel all morning. Hurricane is heading toward south Florida with 80 mph winds. West Palm Beach may get hit hard, so please stay safe Jeanie. It is going to move up the coast and there is already a lot of rain from Ohio to the East. Flash floods are predicted. My prayers are with all of you in the path.

California now has 504,000 Covid cases. Quite frightening. That is what we get for reopening too soon.

That’s all the gloom and doom news for today, folks!

Be well and stay safe.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Here is the current track:EAF2A307-898D-4947-9A6D-FD1AE6074301.jpg

As you can see, much of the east coast is going to feel it. One can hope it comes ashore at Mar a Lago, but that would be too symbolic.

Comment

Thanks Ann for getting us started this month. I'm JUST getting up. I don't know what's changed, but I seem to sleep later all the time now. Oh well, I am having my first mug of coffee and wiping the sleep from my eyes. Hello everyone!

And yes Agate, I just got around to checking, and I got paid also. I still won't go out until Monday, but it's good to know it's there.
                Last edited by Howie; 08-01-2020, 11:41 AM.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Howie, I am still trying to wake up too. I have been up, but I am just so tired and wiped out.

Jeanie, so glad Torre and Andy came by to get some ointment put on your shingles. I just hope it is helping.

Sunshine, I could have my regular housekeeper that I have not had since either last week in February or first week in March. However, I am not letting anyone come in my house. I am plodding along. I always get the linens done, the bathroom clean and the kitchen clean. Those are the important things. But a lot has just gone undone for so long that I need so much done now. I know I need help, but I am just uncomfortable with having people in my house, even people that I know would not intentionally hurt me for anything.

Still, I am better off than many. I have a 34 year old nephew who has been out of work about all year and will definitely be out the rest of the year and possibly next year. It is sad.
                  Virginia

Comment

A place in Colorado posts funny signs, and Jeanie Z has sent me some examples. Here's one (thanks, Jeanie!):

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All))))))

Ann ~

With my focus on reporting bad news, I failed to thank you for starting the thread. Thank you! Hope the inclement weather doesn’t reach you.

Howie ~

It looks like you might have rain on Monday. I hope you have enough supplies until the storm passes.

Virginia ~

Sometimes, like during a pandemic, we can only do what we can do and nothing more. I have 30 loads of laundry in huge bags in the garage. Every time I see them, I just sigh and think, “Oh well.” My energy is directed toward the work that matters, just as you are doing.

I am sorry your nephew is out of work. This isn’t your golfer nephew is it? He isn’t working now either I assume.

The storm may be heading your way too, so I hope you are prepared. Looks like a lot of rain.

Sunshine ~

How affected will you and DH be by the hurricane? I don’t want the residents surrounding mar a lago to suffer, but it sure would save taxpayers a ton of money, if a certain property was damaged.

Agate ~

Thanks for sharing that sign. Very true and especially during a pandemic.

Keeping you all in my prayers ~

Love and Light,

Rose
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Agree on Mar-A-Lago!

I don't know the situation of the golfer. This is his older brother who has worked since age 9. Now, obviously he didn't go out and make a living at age 9, but he begged and begged until his parents let him cut some grass right around their house for them and a couple of other people they knew. They thought he was too young however my brother finally said let him do it "he will only cut one lawn, and he will quit". He kept it up and as he got to about age 11 he had quite a neighborhood of clients. At age 12 he had saved enough money to buy a second hand golf cart that he could put his equipment on to haul around in the neighborhood. He worked that business, growing until he only did very high priced lawns and commercial businesses, having several crews that worked for him, until last year. He sold it and of course all his equipment.

He had been toying with the idea of getting a big tractor trailer rig (one of the biggest) and going to all the fairs and taking his own stand, which he had to set up at each fair. He loved it. He met all kinds of people that he liked a lot. He had gotten this idea from one of their neighbors when he was growing up. The neighbor had a smaller one and he would hire my nephew to work for him when the fair was here in Raleigh. Well, needless to say he is deep in debt for all this big fancy stuff that he has. It even has tables that sit out front so people can sit down. I have not talked to him in person and don't know what he is going to do. There are so many people who are out of work. It is hard to know this is happening to someone who has put in the hard work and very long hours when it is in your family. It is hard for me to hear people I don't know talk about it on TV.

Our country is in a mess right now. A lot of it due to the fact that we didn't all do as we should from the beginning of this pandemic. I don't want anyone to go without a place to live or something to eat, but a lot of the same people who wouldn't do the mask and social distancing, etc still refuse to believe that they should. I don't get it.
                        Virginia

Comment

Virginia, Mom has not let anyone in since March until yesterday. She had been declining blood work but finally agreed to it if Quest would follow precautions. The woman who came left her shoes and her bag on the porch and wore a mask. After she left, Mom Lysoled the area around her chair and wiped the door knobs. She has not had her house cleaner in.

We haven’t had anyone in, either but are thinking of having the house cleaned while we are on vacation. We cancelled our reservation at a condo in Truro. Too many people in that complex and everyone has close balconies- not adjoining but close. Instead, we rented a private cottage in S Wellfleet. There is still risk but less risk. We missed our vacation last year when Mom was so sick.

Rose, about the thirty loads of laundry - if you do one every other day you’d be done in two months. Too much? Maybe a schedule of some sort would help.

ANN
                          Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-01-2020, 04:54 PM.
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                            I don't want anyone to go without a place to live or something to eat, but a lot of the same people who wouldn't do the mask and social distancing, etc still refuse to believe that they should. I don't get it.
                            Don't worry about them, they will soon be dead.
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Well, after just looking at the forecast, I'm going to do my store run tomorrow. I have my bills written and ready to be mailed.

I would really like to just stay up all night so I can hit the store at 7am, but I may just sleep, and whatever time I get up, go then. I don't think the store is very busy on Sunday, but now with the virus keeping so many folks at home, lots of folks could be planning an early store run.

So I may go to bed, or I may make more coffee. Decisions, decisions!

Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X