August 2020: Keep on Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2020: Keep on Moving

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves thaT.

Rabbit Rabbit.

I swam 1/2 mile today. Weather is warm, the calm before the hurricane.

Will cook, and mainly watch DH prepare the outdoors for the possible storm conditions tomorrow. Not too much to do, but I am unable to do even the simplest preps. Hoping to not lose power....

Comment

Yesterday I got dressed and left home about 3:30. I went by post office and then to cleaners to drop off a pair of slacks, from there I went thru drive-in at bank, then I went to pharmacy drive thru (I had 3 Rxs to pick up, one had been sent to another branch, which I specifically asked that they change it), then I went in grocery store and shopped for food. When I got back to car I had to transfer frozen things into a bag that I sometime carry for that purpose with ice packs in it. Then I had to drive to other pharmacy and this one does not have a drive thru so I had to park and walk in. I was absolutely sure my legs were going to give way. I was dragging, but there were only two people in front of me and it went fairly smooth, got back to car and came home. I had 3 trips from car into house. I kept hoping my neighbor, Susan, would come out. She always helps me, but she wasn't around. I honestly thought I was not going to make it down my walk and up the steps. The temperature was in the 90s. I am not sure what the heat index was.

By the time I emptied the car it was a little after 6:30. I had not had anything to drink. I took no water, due to mask and thinking I could do this MUCH quicker. I couldn't fix anything to eat. I got water and set down after putting groceries away. Finally, between 7:30 and 8:00PM, I got up and fixed a sandwich and an ear of corn. I am wiped out today.
      Virginia

Comment

I have been swimming every day. TOday was DH’s day off. I decided that I would do no work after my swim, so we got take out. Of course, it didn’t stop me from prepping for tomorrows lasagna. But that took little time.

I am walking more with the Rollator. Am more hopeful.

Comment

It’s great to have hope. Hope and an appetite.

ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

We have been looking for a used bicycle for me. There are plenty on Craigslist and in the Nextdoor app. Many were too small for me (5’7) or sold faster than we could arrange to see them. We were looking for under $200 and in road shape.

I found a yellow Columbia 3 speed in like-new condition for $60 and the guy lives in the next neighborhood over. We met in a parking lot and I wiped it down, Rose, and took a ride. Amazingly, I can balance.

The cottage we rented is on the road to the beach. One mile. I plan to walk sometimes, ride sometimes and Peter May have to drop me off and walk back sometimes.

And there are trails nearby including the CapeCod Rail Trail. We will see. As far as I go I still have to get back. I know you understand. Anyway, a new-to-me bike at 70. :-)
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

A bike--how exciting! There's no stopping you now, ANN!
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

That is wonderful, between your riding and walking you are going, going, going.
                Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

That is fantastic that you are walking more! I join in hoping this is a trend, which will continue and continue. How was your lasagna?

ANN ~

Congratulations on your new bike! I love the nod to me, the community germaphobe! Now, do you have a helmet?

Does Peter have a bike, so you can ride together? A mile from the beach sounds doable (and lovely).

I gather you're going to Cape Cod? One of my favorite places. We vacationed there with Jon and Michael, when they were little tykes, every summer for 3 years in a row. Our motel was right on the beach, and the owners gave us the best room at a lower rate. They loved our boys.

Bike riding always made me feel so free. I doubt that I could ride one now, so I give you ! You Go Girl! Enjoy!

Keep moving, y'all!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I swam 1/2 mile today. And Made a side dish for dinner and then rested. Asthma has been kicking my butt, but improving.
                    I will have PT shortly to help with the newer walking issue that seems to be some kind of weird sciatica. It causes my muscles to clench, but I don’t get that electric shock feeling.

Sometimes it seems like so much to deal with.I bet most of us have felt that way.

Comment

Went on my weekly three hour outing today. Why can't I keep it to a shorter period so I don't get so tired? I went first to the cleaners, then to Walgreens. I needed to get a birthday card for my brother. In there for quite awhile because I couldn't find what I wanted. I did finally find one that I thought suit him, so then I went next door to Harris Teeter. I stayed in there for a good long time. I just must have a fear of going hungry. I buy more groceries than I need. I came home and unloaded 3 loads of stuff and then had to put everything away. So again, I was gone from 3:30 until 6:30. I am beat tonight.

Howie, does it take you that long to go get your stuff done? I only drove 7.2 miles round trip, so I wasn't on the road much.
                      Virginia

Comment

My store is about the same distance away, maybe a bit farther, but not much. I'll have to measure it next time I go. It usually doesn't take me long, because I get the same things, but last few times I went, they were out of so many things.

So I had to find something else to take it's place. I didn't do well. My Compleat's dinners were completely out. So I looked and found some frozen dinners to take their place.

I can eat them, but just barely. And the picture on the box made them look so good, but had nothing to do with what they are once cooked. Oh well, live and learn. This virus thing is starting to affect me personally.

I'll be glad when it's over, and things can get back to normal!
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Swam 1/2 mile today. Made walnut crust for fish later on. REsting a bit before I make my next move.
                          Started PT yesterday for muscle clenching in lower back and upper right thigh.on the back and side of it.

Comment

Howie, I saw lots of Compleat's dinners where I was, but I guess that doesn't help you. I ended up yesterday getting staples that while I might already have them, I knew they were getting close to being out of date. I also just went around the store and found a couple of things that I use to eat and thought that sounds good, so I bought some stuff that I haven't had in awhile.

I did empty the trash and recycling today and I also vacuumed the floors downstairs.
                            Last edited by Virginia; 08-08-2020, 01:04 PM.
                            Virginia

Comment

Swam 1/2 mile today and yesterday. Tomrrow is IVIG all day.
                              Cooked complex side dish. Resting the rest of the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X