Instacart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instacart

Some people here use Instacart for delivering groceries regularly, I think, but some don't. I had my first Instacart delivery yesterday and here are my impressions, based on many years (about 12) of experience with online ordering through Safeway and sometimes Albertson's.

The fees seemed reasonable but I wasn't aware that there's always a $2 service fee, which is added to the tip that is also added on automatically. The service fee is 5% of your order total or a $2 minimum, and the tip seems to be optional and adjustable according to what you'd like to tip.

The delivery charge (not including the two $2 charges just mentioned) was $5.99 for this small order. I've searched all over the Instacart Website to find how the delivery fee is calculated but all I've found is that it varies according to the size of your order--and the time of day you want the delivery. Busy times have an extra fee added on but I'm not sure how much that could be. I paid a total of $9.99 for service--which isn't a high fee for a grocery delivery, IMO. What I usually pay is 10% of the total paid for groceries. The Safeway charges anywhere from $10 to $12.

The ordering was easy, and every item I wanted was pictured, with information that I wanted clearly available. The order was delivered quite punctually, and it was an order to be delivered in less than 24 hours. I had a choice of delivery times, with one-hour windows.

The shopper was also the person delivering the order. She even called me while shopping with a question because the stores was out of an item. However, when she got here, she'd neglected to get one item on the list. Since the list consisted of only 7 items, that may not speak too well for Instacart, but mistakes do happen, and in this case I was able to do without that item. I hadn't been charged for it. She would have been willing to go back to the store for it (Safeway would never do that).

Also, she parked in an assigned parking space in this building's parking lot but people often make that mistake here. Since she was here for only a few minutes, it was OK.

I was glad that she came by car. Safeway deliveries pull up here in a gigantic van, obviously containing many other shoppers' deliveries (I've peeked inside and seen them).

Except for the one omission, everything was correct and got here just fine, and the bill was OK.

They did take more than they needed from my debit card. They explain that they do that and that they'll adjust the bill ("within 7 days"). The $60 they debited is still sitting in my account as "pending" but the total charge was $44.52.

Instacart must be quite popular. I've looked at its Website a few times in the past and found only about 2 or 3 stores listed for my Zipcode. Now there are 11.

I was very pleased with Instacart and would definitely use them again, when the service I regularly use is having its holidays and snow days.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

((((((agate)))))) ~

I just finished placing an order with Instacart. I've been an Instacart shopper since January 2018. It has been a life-saver for me.

I'm glad that you had a positive experience with Instacart. After your order is delivered, you can rate and adjust the tip on line.

I communicate with my shoppers on line as they shop. Sometimes the shopper sends a photo of the item, if there is a question. My shoppers are always open to picking up anything else, which isn't on the list, or adjusting according to my requests. Only a couple of shoppers have shopped more than once for me. It's a booming business here and a good opportunity for shoppers to earn $$.

I always include instructions for items as I shop. Like "Organic only please," or "no replacement, thanks." You might want to use that feature too, when you shop.

If you, or anyone, have any questions, I'm happy to help!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Agate, I thought I paid a delivery charge of $9.99 in addition to the tip they added on. Then I tipped another couple of dollars at the door.

Yes, I also would use them again, but still like going and choosing my own items. I hope to make a grocery run in the next couple of days, but at this point it depends on how my face is.
      Last edited by Virginia; 09-29-2018, 11:42 AM.
      Virginia

Comment

I just checked, and Instacart isn't in this area yet. But going to the store is my main activity, so maybe I need to just keep doing it.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Agate, I went back and looked and I paid $9.99 for delivery, a $2.00 service charge and a $2.00 tip on my bill.
          Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
            Agate, I thought I paid a delivery charge of $9.99 in addition to the tip they added on. Then I tipped another couple of dollars at the door.

Yes, I also would use them again, but still like going and choosing my own items. I hope to make a grocery run in the next couple of days, but at this point it depends on how my face is.
            Virginia, I tried fairly hard to find out on the Instacart Website how they figure the shipping rate but all I could find out is that it varies according to the total amount of your order and whether it's a busy time. When they asked for my comments, I told them about this and said it would be helpful to know how the delivery fee is figured.

The Safeway online grocery ordering system has higher delivery charges for popular times of day, and apparently Instacart does that too but it doesn't let you know what those times are. It just says that at "busy" times you'll be charged an extra fee and apparently that will be noted on your bill.

My guess is that you may have chosen a busier time, or ordered more groceries. Since this was a trial run for me, I kept the order small, only about $35. Usually I spend at least twice that much on groceries and miscellaneous paper products, plus occasional hardware and personal care items like shampoo, laundry soap.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I appreciate all this info as I began looking last week into using this myself. Seems it will be helpful for a big order, and I was happy to see it was an option near me too.

I'll report back as well about my experience!
              Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Another thumbs-up for InstaCart!

As I've said before, I've been uneasy about InstaCart because of the way they seem to insist that you be available for text messaging. Even though I now have a phone that makes that possible, I wouldn't feel comfortable enough using it when someone is grocery shopping for me (and my neighbor). But I'm finding out that you don't have to have access to text messaging. Your shopper can reach you by your phone (landline or whatever), AND InstaCart tracks every phase of the shopping process right on its Website.

Today, with 39 items being bought, I was able to see when the shopper arrived at the store, checked out, and was en route with the order. As she was in transit, I saw the number of minutes and even seconds remaining before she got here, and then my buzzer rang and I let her in.

She was even willing to hang around long enough for me to check every item to make sure it was all here. I prefer to do that because the Safeway once or twice actually delivered several bags that were someone else's order but neglected to bring some of my order. Safeway delivery people just dumped the bags and ran and were always in a huge hurry.

And the fresh produce items were in great shape--nothing old or wilted or moldy.

InstaCart has my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzE-Q View Post
                  I appreciate all this info as I began looking last week into using this myself. Seems it will be helpful for a big order, and I was happy to see it was an option near me too.

I'll report back as well about my experience!
                  I have been using Peapod for years. It really is fantastic. I pay $6.95 for delivery. Have never gotten a less than good item..fruit/veggies etc.i order what I want and select the day and time I want delivery. Love it.
                  Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                    Another thumbs-up for InstaCart!

As I've said before, I've been uneasy about InstaCart because of the way they seem to insist that you be available for text messaging. Even though I now have a phone that makes that possible, I wouldn't feel comfortable enough using it when someone is grocery shopping for me (and my neighbor). But I'm finding out that you don't have to have access to text messaging. Your shopper can reach you by your phone (landline or whatever), AND InstaCart tracks every phase of the shopping process right on its Website.

Today, with 39 items being bought, I was able to see when the shopper arrived at the store, checked out, and was en route with the order. As she was in transit, I saw the number of minutes and even seconds remaining before she got here, and then my buzzer rang and I let her in.

She was even willing to hang around long enough for me to check every item to make sure it was all here. I prefer to do that because the Safeway once or twice actually delivered several bags that were someone else's order but neglected to bring some of my order. Safeway delivery people just dumped the bags and ran and were always in a huge hurry.

And the fresh produce items were in great shape--nothing old or wilted or moldy.

InstaCart has my vote.

Sounds great. Glad you are using it.
                    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Thanks for the update Agate. At least I know it is there when I need it, but if I am out and think I can do it I like to go for myself. I am trying to keep a grocery list on my iPhone, but I am finding that I still leave things off and then see something in the store that reminds me that I want that item.

Instacart is a great service. So glad that someone came up with that idea. It gives so many of us a little peace of mind.
                      Virginia

Comment

They send me an e-mail asking for a rating, and I was able to give that experience 5 stars with comments about how excellent it was. I want to encourage these people.

Comment

Yes, and I am sure it gets back to the shoppers, so that is also very good. I admire these people who go out and do other people's grocery shopping. If it was just cans or boxes of stuff it would not be bad, but just think of the people they have to please with fresh produce.
                          Virginia

Comment

I sent grocery list in to Instacart Thursday. I had 16 items. Groceries were 85.65. There was delivery fee of 3.99, a service fee of 4.28 and a tip of 4.28. It seemed odd that the service fee and the tip were exactly the same. I gave a rating of 5 thumbs up. The girl doing the shopping and delivering was very nice. She substituted one item because the one I ordered was not in good shape and she said she just did not want to bring it to me. I was glad she did that. She was in and out in just a couple of minutes. It was so hot and I could look at her and tell it.
                            Virginia

Comment

Thats a good review Virginia.
                              I suppose the day may come when I will need it. Being more rural, the local store just started delivery, but its very pricey : Every item is marked up, and then there is a huge $25 delivery fee (plus tip).

WalMart is local and you can schedule a time to come by and pick up, but right now, it is not drive through... And I don’t like their fresh foods.

Comment

Working...
                              X