Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airlines asking you??

Distinguished Community Member

Travis. How would they even know to ask you that? Did you tell at some point so that it was recorded for future notes etc. Sure is strange but I have heard of two women being asked to leave the plane when I was learned they had epilepsy. That was years ago and I have forgotten the airlines now. I would tell if I could remember. We do not help others to avoid what you experienced nor help to make the changes that prevent it from ever happening again so we are not treated differently nor marginalized if we do not expose those responsible. Let them slide, and it will continue. We have a choice only as long as we have all the information needed to make informed choices. Tattoo

Community Member

The problem originated when my mother was trying to get a credit for the unused ticket because I had a seizure and was hospitalized. She mentioned the seizure to get the refund.

However, they had documented "uncontrolled seizures" on my reference number for some reason. Mom found this out when she spoke with the airline yesterday. She corrected that, and it sounds like the airline removed that from my name.

When I spoke to them today, the airline was saying it was for accommodations for having the other ticketed person next to me. They also said that *if* they were unaware of my seizures, and I had one on the plane, the flight would be diverted and I'd need to have a medical evaluation to continue on the flight.

It's just (can't say the word) annoying. We shouldn't have to inform services of our condition. It just feels like I am jumping through hoops here. I feel they shouldn't have tagged me in the first place when we were getting the refund.

Sounds like it's all corrected. The airline person claimed the reference number doesn't follow you, and it was only for this flight. For some reason I don't believe that...BUT everything seems clear...for now.

--Travis

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

What happens if you simply respond with:

That is an illegal question!
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

It never should have been entered in the first place!

I can think of several parallels. I would imagine if I asked to see the pilots medical card I'd be booted off! And the medical card is an FAA regulation for General Aviation up into Commercial to be able to fly.

In needing to vent I was also trying to say be on high alert. If it happened to me it's bound to happen to others.

I wasn't the one who paid for the tickets, and I am not one that likes to take legal action (I avoid confrontation at all costs).

--Travis

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

On the other hand...

One can get very obtuse and ask for clarification of the question...

On the other hand you can get very explicit and list all of the seizure types that you haven't had.

Start with:
    Muscle cramps
    Hiccups
    Asthma
    Labor pains
    Cardiac arrest...

Seizure is a very loose term and if somebody loosely uses the term you have the right to either ask for an explicit definition or interpret it any way you choose to.
    Last edited by howdydave; 11-05-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Travis, I had to chuckle when you mentioned seeing the pilot's medical card.
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12