Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airlines asking you??

Hybrid View

Community Member

Exclamation Airlines asking you??

I had the strangest thing happen. I have a flight in a couple of weeks, and I was called by the airlines tonight asking me about my seizures!! I already had been sent the ticket and confirmation for the reservation.

The employee confirmed reservations (I already have my itinerary printed out). Then asked about the party flying with me; gave them that conf# as well. The part where my antenna really shot up was when asked "have you been hospitalized or had a seizure in the LAST TWO WEEKS?"

I kid you not. Can they even ask us this? I have never had a seizure on an airline all the years I've been flying since I was a kid. Whats really worrying me is if this flight provider will now have me flagged for future flights. I don't need that hanging on my name every time I fly.

They don't ask passengers if we are convicted felons, have diabetes, or are on our deathbed's. Why should they be able to ask about Epilepsy?!!

I really needed to vent this.

Questions, comments on the legality/discrimination of this??

--Travis

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Travis,

I can't believe the airlines would do such a thing to you. This is totally illegal and they have no legal right asking about your sz. and if you've been in the hospital the past 2 wks. The only time they can do anything like this
    is when they are flying a patient from one hospital to another to get better medical help. It's up to you but I know I would take legal action on them and also report them for discrimination, and invation of the private policy act.
    I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

I can not believe that they asked something like that. Is it a new policy that the airlines have enacted? I would call the airline's corporate offices, and ask them about this. It may just be this one airline that has this policy, somewhere in the small print of when you print out your ticket. If you do not get anywhere with calling the corporate offices, I would hire a lawyer and go after them for discrimination. What is the airline that you are flying through?

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

I can't believe it either. Soon as I read it I thought 'would they ask if you had diabetes' then a second later I saw you said the same thing. Besides, what does it matter? Yes, take legal action. Maybe it was just that one person so maybe they should be disaplined by the airline. ("Have you been hospitalized"..... maybe you just had a baby.)
    Lorraine (lor)

Community Member

Contacting Customer Relations is a PAIN. I called customer services ("we can't help you") and customer relations ("we need to get you to the right location" ::HOLD::) with little avail.

What really scares me is the PNR the airlines use for us. It holds information such as religious, food pref's, and special needs...you get the idea. I don't want this to be a problem every time I fly.

I fired off an email to customer relations and will hopefully be hearing form them.

Thanks for the input. The bad thing is I am flying with (what do they call it) an "assistant" (relative) seated next to me. THAT is irrelevant in my opinion. If anything it should make the whole issue LESS of a problem.

--Travis

Travis, What airline is it? I fly with John sometimes.
    Lorraine (lor)

Community Member

sent PM. Don't want to say in public. The flight is in a couple of weeks, so I'll see if everything goes smooth.

--Travis

Distinguished Community Member

Wink Need a CEO email address, Internet search to the rescue

OK, when a hurdle arises, I usually write the CEO directly, e.g.: Caremark, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, PSEG, etc.

My email typically starts:

Need to bring something to your attention, followed by the details, followed by my contact information.

But, how to find the email address?

First use an Internet browser to search for the names of the senior executives using such terms as:
    +CEO, +President, +name of firm

Then, search for the proper format of the email address. Typically it is first name “dot” last name “@” domain “dot” com.

This becomes: first.last@targetcompany.com

One can search multiple ways and most often I am 99% successful.

Sometimes one can deduce the email address if others at the firm have their email address in the public Internet.

Here are some assistive URLs:

Oh, and most often an admin reads the emails and forwards them to an individual to reply.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Learn-How-...CEO&id=1560806

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...w/id/6693.html

http://www.cs.brown.edu/~pavlo/fortune1000/

http://www.mrcoldcall.com/ceoemails.htmlv

Yup, I always receive a reply. While I may not be 100% satisfied with the response, I do receive a reply.

Good luck!!

Community Member

Thanks Ted. I already had sent a letter to the HEAD of Customer Service at the airline. They don't post it publicly, but I found it within two searches. I'll see what happens. I hope this won't happen again, but I have my doubts. If not me, it'll happen to somebody else.

And you are right. It was first.last structure for address! I am glad I'm oldschooled with the internet and online services. Years of staring at the text based web does have it's advantages at times!

--Travis

Thankyou Travis
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast