Thread: What's That?

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Default What's That?

What's "Ding Dong Ditch"? I watched Family Fued 2 times today & both had "What do kids do as 'naughty' on Halloween. I never heard of Ding Dong Ditch. Either it's not popular arround here or I grew up before it started. (I'm 53 now. I'd say I stoped trick or treating around 1971.)
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

Haven't thought about that in years. Our ding dong ditch was ringing someone's door bell and running away before they answered the door. We played this any time of the year. I used to lmao playing the game. Silly kids! Sometimes we would ring their bell twice in one night.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Ohhhhhhh.... I just never heard that name.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Hahaha Dawn!! For shame! You know better than that lololol. My friend has had that done to her a couple of times in her little bitty neighborhood. The place is wide open so I don't know where they hid the second time. Little jerks were running off laughing the first time hee hee

Lor I dub you queen of most threads started lol. At least here. You get lots of cookies for that. I had almost forgotten the cookies!! whatever kind you want!!

How about lots of money instead? (I was just thinking of starting another)
    Lorraine (lor)

Geez, I haven't heard that term in years ! I am probably the one parent that let their kids do things on HALLOWEEN....Ding Dong Ditch was one of the favorites. My only comment to my kids was that they had to purchase their own TP Supplies and if they got caught, they had to clean up the mess they and their friends made, PLUS one CHORE OF The homeowner's chosing ! My 3rd child, a son, got caught once, and the gal was really ticked off, until the kids talked to her ! She agreed not to make a big deal out of itt,IF they helped her put ALL her Ornaments in her yard AWAY.....Boy, did that elderly gal have a lot of things in her yard ! But the kids ( my son & two friends of his ! ) did what they promised, and in fact made a friend out of the lady, helping her each spring to put out the lawn ornaments, and they would go back each year to put them away. She has passed away....but when she did pass, those kids purchased an arangement for her funeral,and asked to be paul bearers, which they were, cuz she didn't have a lot of family !
    So, there are good kids out there....of course can I ( as well as my deceased hubby ) take a little credit for raising four nice kids ?

Distinguished Community Member

thanks for sharing that with us Terry. I am older than the hills. I was never around when it happened but I heard stories of the older boys tipping over folks outside "outhouses". Told you I was old, LOL.

Can't imagine myself. I wouldn't want to be in on tipping it over or setting it back right myself :ambivalence: . Be kinda shocking early in the morning

Lor, In the UK this prank is called 'Knock out ginger' . I have no idea why!

According to Wiki it has many weird and wonderful names depending where in the world you are. 'Ding Dong Ditch' coming from the Midwest United States!

Click here
    NIL ILLEGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM.

When they say, "But you look fine", you say --
    "And you look intelligent. Go figure."

HI bewolf! It's so great to hear from an 'oldie'. Do you mean you you don't .Ginger came from the British term "dogerel" which is something 'icky' or 'as good as something like dog food' (Someone who would knock on your door then just ditch the situation is a real ginger.) LOL (Oh yeah, did U know 'ditch' means to turn & run away?)
    Lorraine (lor)