Thread: Montel Williams' video talk about his CCSVI procedure and his health

Default Montel Williams' video talk about his CCSVI procedure and his health

He did an interview about his CCSVI procedure and his health.
    Turn your speakers on.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...ams-ms-111023/

Lady

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar

This was very informative--thanks for posting it, Lady.

I think Montel is being fair and responsible about what he says in the video.

According to what he says, the CCSVI procedure has made it possible for him to tolerate heat. This is really good news. I wonder if others who've had the procedure have noticed the same effect?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

Thank you Lady. I was very impressed with the way he presented the procedure, as it applied to him. I think he was fair and honest, which is a real help to those who may be considering it. He certainly has gotten wonderful results from his heat intolerance, and that is a great plus. Others may get results that he has not. I think we do not know. He is doing a number of other things in addition to this. I don't think I would want to take 62 vitamins a day, but I guess if I really believed it was going to do a lot of good I would probably try to get them down.

Very good and informative interview.

Virginia
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar

He has been putting an exceptional amount of effort into trying to get along with his MS. Virginia, since you pointed this out, I went back to the video to the place where he lists everything he's been doing:

--exercise and PT a minimum of an hour and a half a day
    --he takes part in a deep-brain stimulation project where his brainstem gets shocked for 20 minutes 4 times a day
    --he liquefies 80% of what he eats
    --he takes 62 vitamins a day
    --he's on a hormonal replacement routine
    --he's on a holistic supplement routine

I hope the 100% improvement in his reaction to heat continues. That is pretty dramatic but I doubt that I'd rush to have the CCSVI procedure when it might have been some of the other things he's been doing that brought about the change. Or maybe it was just the MS taking its peculiar course.

I used to be troubled by Lhermitte's sign quite often. I haven't experienced it in years now. I had a lot of ON symptoms too, and those have been gone for years. Different symptoms have come along in the meantime, but you just never know with this oddball disease.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks Lady. I love it when Montel tries something.:o
    I wonder if he ever tried LDN??

And Agate, let's not forget his MJ use!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Thanks for this, Lady. I agree w Agate: it is a well balanced account. He is not suggesting that anyone else have it done or that it is a cure. He is just reporting what it did for him and that was tolerance of heat and nothing else.

For him, improving his heat intolerance was a very big deal. He is so happy about that, that if that symptom were to come back, he would have the procedure repeated.

Thanks again,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I do admire Montel and I appreciate the awareness he has brought about concerning MS. However, he must be fairly physically strong, and I don't mean just from exercising. I think that my body has reached a point that my core strength has deminished so much that while I try to keep my muscels strong, I don't think I could ever again strenghten my body no matter how much time and effort I put into it. As a matter of fact, with just half the effort that Montel puts out I would be unable to continue to go. But then, there is also quite a difference in our ages and I guess that would also make a difference.

Someone asked me why I didn't get a wheel chair so that I could get around better and go further. I could not possibly do that because I do not have the upper body strength to wheel myself, and no amount of exercising is going to get that back for me.

I hope Montel will be able to keep his strength for a very long time, he is still a relatively young man.

I just try to stay in as good shape as I can with my Yoga and deep knee bends.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I like Montel too and I hope he keeps going strong and pitching for us all.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Montel said he takes male hormones, so that will help him build muscle and strength that a women cannot achieve. Some women can get upper body strength from long-time working out, and weight lifting. I don't have the upper strength either Virginia, I take HRT, so that is a female hormone, in my case.

No one knows what is in his drinks or what other pills/vitamins he takes, he has worked out for ages to build his muscles. He looks like he lost weight. Talking about his balance and gait maks him cry. He has emotional instability, IMO Another gift from MS.

I greatly admire him for all he does. He tries to help himself to have a better life, and to help other people also.

Last edited by Lady; 10-27-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling..as always
    Lady

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

I understand that he was relatively fit before MS. He has worked for a long time and with great effort to keep fit and strong. But if you think about it, he has lost ground and he can never be physically what he would have been (with that routine) if he didn't have MS. Of course, that is IMO.

Most of us won't devote that kind of time and effort. He has probably traded off doing other things to maintain his physical condition. Some of us have chosen to do other things with our lives.