Thread: Myasthenia Gravis

New Community Member

Default Myasthenia Gravis

I am interested in comparing problems and treatment of others with Miasthenia.

Distinguished Community Member

Default Welcome

Hixie, I have myasthenia gravis which was recently diagnosed along with a host of other diseases. I'm usually on the MS board but will check in at the MG board now that there is someone else here to converse with. I'll go to the Myasthenia Gravis forum and post another welcome.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 10-24-2011 at 07:19 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

New Community Member

Default Thanks for answering

They say there are only about 4 people out of ten thousand with MG. I live in a retirement village of about 350 residents, and there is one other here who told me about her doctor who diagnosed me.

I'll be glad to talk to you and compare notes on treatments.

Look for you again!

Hixie, It will be easier if you will scroll down the page to the forum for MG to post. I have posted to you there.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

New Community Member

Smile Myasthenia Forum

Am I in the right place now? This is the most confusing site I have ever been in. Not user friendly.

I have double vision, asthma and weak muscles so I have to use a walker to keep from staggering and cannot stand long enough to do much cooking. My husband is learning to boil water! Actually we go to the dining room in our retirement village for one meal a day so that does not require much cooking for a couple of other snacks, (juice and cereal or peanut butter sandwiches with milk).

About every 6 weeks my asthma gets out of control and I have to have a 10 day dose of Prednisone. What a difference that makes! Even makes me walk stronger for a while.

I am surprised there are not more Myasthenic people here. I just found this site in the latest neurologic magazine I get. I wanted to survey if anyone else had read the web page about using manganese as a treatment. Google can find it with manganese and myasthenia. It is a very old study and has not been repeated. I bought some manganese to try it out but found they are large capsules and I cannot swallow them. The first time I ever heard of myasthenia was when I had an eyelid lifted so I could read, and when the dr was removing the stitches, he asked me if I had any trouble swallowing! I just patted my pot belly and said, "No, why did you ask that?" Then I came home and studied up on it. I had all of the symptoms! I then found that my two brothers had trouble with "choking on his own spit" as one's wife called it, and my father had to be careful while eating to not choke.

Do you have some of the same symptoms? The neurologist put me on Pyrodostigmine and it gave me diarrhea for three years before I quit it. It's a wonder it didn't kill me. Now I have very slowly worked back up to 3 pills a day just to treat the constipation that came back! Just before I quit, the Dr. wanted me to go to four a day. I might possibly make it but I have to do it very slowly and carefully.

Well, I have rambled on long enough. Have to get to bed now.

Hixie

Hixie, You are not in the right place yet. If you are here go to the top of the page and find Forum> First left click on Forum. You need to left click with your mouse on the down arrow on the right side of the page to get to the myasthenia gravis forum. You need to go down several pages of forums until you get to the Neurological Disorders and you will find the MG forum site.

You are still in the New Visitor Introductions.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 10-26-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Default MG Forum

Since you haven't found your way down to the MG forum, maybe you can post the question to one of the moderators and they can explain it better than I can. Hope to see you posting on the MG forum soon.

Blessings,
    Gabriella