Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WADA results

Community Member

Well Rabbit, I have a month in a much warmer state to help with that. Won't have to experience the -20's (plus windchill) as I would otherwise. Already have equipped that room with blackout blinds in case I need to sleep a lot. The sunlight and warmer temps will help. Assuming I don't have complications, I'm going to try to walk the distance I was before surgery (4 miles/day) or better. Need to get rid of my spare tire Lyrica helped give me.

I had horrible headaches in JrHigh due to stress, so I know what to expect if that happens. Back then I was taking Tylenol like candy with almost no reprieve.

SUE I'm glad I can order out for food at this hospital! Pizza, hoagie's, subs, whoever delivers n the area. I had to go out today and buy COMBS! I have not had to use one of those except for when they did the Video EEG's (get the glue out). I just had brushes the last 10-15 years.

It sounds like they will be putting the electrodes in DURING the surgery, no days to wait before surgery. With all the imaging (PET,3T MRI, 7T MRI) and EEG results plus WADA, they should have a pretty good road map.

--Travis
    Last edited by Travis from MN; 12-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Travis,

You might have to eat some soft foods for a few days and don't be surprised if your back is bothering you from the surgery. My back hurt more than my head did sometimes but my Dr. made sure I cut back on the caffeine
    which helped a lot. I wish you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I had a resection too. It is the typical epilepsy surgery. The use of the electrodes for me was for a thorough intracortical check of the area during surgery to locate as many areas of discharges/misfiring/epileptogenic tissue as possible while my neurosurgeon was able to remove it. This is an article on it which is like what I read in my chart. It is a search for tissue that needs to be removed so that you have the best % of success and seizure reduction. When do you go in? I was in the EMU over Christmas in 1997 with my first VEEG. Keep us posted Tattoo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279495

Community Member

OK that was weird. I didn't put an attachment on my last post. No idea HOW it got there (removed it).

I go in on the 13th. They estimated 3-5 days until released, then with all going well I return in 7-10 for a checkup. So I SHOULD be out for Christmas. The doctor has already approved of my flying, even before surgery.

Not looking to being held from the daily Coffee from the coffee shop on the main floor. My sister was so kind in bringing it to me almost daily during the video EEG.

--Travis

Community Member

Well...there was a LOT of miscommunication. First of all, this stay in the hospital is NOT the surgery. That was a surprise to me. The first day in here they did 3 MRI's!! Now it's lowering meds to try and trigger seizures with the 24 sensors inside my head.

So in theory surgery should be in February... IF I am sent any information this time.

I have been having a head ache where they drilled in, I tried keeping off the drugs, but it seems I need to be on the Percoset (sp?) to keep the headache knocked down.

Still way too early to say when I'll be getting home.

--Travis

Hi Travis,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having headaches where the Dr. drilled in. I had the same problem but I found cutting back on caffeine helped me a little and it was just a matter of time and the headaches went away.
    I wish you the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

Time to update. I have a caringbridge site thats even MORE up to date.... Lets see. Yesterday I was WAY out of in. the days before (mainly Sunday, but most of Saturday) I was either completely off, or down to a dose that was all but meaningless (down to 50 from 200 for one; and the KepprA they DID remove. with the Lyrica. I had nothing that to expect (side effects) on that "ride".

Had the cath removed this morining, and will see whats on the AGENDA. REMOVE SENSORS whould be this week. Then a month or so of recovery b4 they do in for the resection.

Thanks for your prayers everybody!

--Travis

Hi Travis,

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm happy to hear that things are going pretty good for you and that they removed the cath today. My prayers are with you and I wish you only the best. May God Bless You!

Sue

Community Member

Cath was removed in the morning. removal of contacts should be tomorrow; spending abous a day after in the hoapitl just for safety.

--Travis

Community Member

Thumbs up Recovery going good

I hadn't needed to take the Oxycodone the last 2 days if thats an indicator. There is ONE stitch that is a pain, the farthest most forward one (towards the face) but thats it. I wear surgical head scrubs just to keep it clean. That may be a little extreme, but I don't want complications. It's already been a week since the first operation, so within 2 weeks I'll have the stitches pulled down here I think. It all depends on how it's healing up.

I fired off an email to the nurse contacts at the two doctors so they know how to get a hold of me if needed. I'm escaping the Northern winter for almost a month. Then estimate surgery if it is to happen will likely be mid February then again depart the cold north for 4 weeks and enjoy the warmer sunnier southern weather for the recovery if no complications.

--Travis

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast