Thread: why can't this be done for MS? pattern analysis w/huge data sets per google founder

Default why can't this be done for MS? pattern analysis w/huge data sets per google founder

this is a novel and really interesting (and probably quite efficacious & faster) way to go about it.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/0...s_search/all/1

herodotus

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Someone may already be working on it. There are a jillion studies going on.

Genetics is of particular interest:
    https://www.imsgc.org/publications
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Thanks for the link, Agate. There surely are lots of studies, and this is a very good resource. What got my attention re this Parkinson's study was the huge size of the sample, and how time to completion of the study is so dramatically shortened. I forgot to add when I posted that this is a long aticle, and to see the gist of it, scroll down to the visual comparing conventional studies to this one. Shortened from 6 yrs to 8 months!

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I noticed the big speed difference as well. Speed is probably good but with science you never know for sure until the quality of the data can be assessed. Or at least that's my limited understanding of the situation.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

Herodotus, I found the article to be fascinating. While not wishing MS on ANYONE, I would love to see $50 million given to research. Also, I would not doubt that there is more to come.

I hope he wins. The odds do not sound too bad, but we never want to think we have a gene like that.
    Virginia

What seemed so cutting edge to me about it is it's like fishing w/a huge net rather than w/a fishing pole. That's a huge sample size - no preconceptions, no theories, just massive data mining. Then comes the direction of inquiry based upon the aggregated associations discovered. There's less chance of being led astray w/this method by someone with an agenda, such as Ancel Keys with his 7 countries study, which were cherry picked from around 20 countries to fit his data profile. Which by the way, scared everyone off sat fat, and onto the more dangerous trans fats. (margarine, shortening and other fats not known to nature) I think this is an elegant research model.