Waking Headaches Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waking Headaches Anyone?

They bite for sure! I usually awake from a dream only to have a "pounder" above and behind my right eye; always the same place; and it lasts for about three days. I make sure I'm hydrated, then the coffee and meds come out, and even an ice pack on occasion Anyone else; ideas??

Thanks,
    suse

Hi Suse ..... Isn't a headache that always happens in one spot (behind your right eye) over and over considered a migraine?
    Have you talked to a neuro about this? Tried any meds?
    I use Relpax, one of many triptans, and it's very, very good.

Comment

Hi,
      Yeah; I did see a headache neuro quite a few years ago. He suggested I keep a headache diary for a few months, (Which I did) and migraines were diagnosed; he prescribed Amerge and Axalt which are both in the triptan family. My problem was that they were VERY expensive, (Even with Insurance) and didn't always work.
      Do you ever wake with one?
      Thanks,
      suse
      Last edited by suse; 10-19-2011, 04:11 AM. Reason: removal of unnecessary text

Comment

I get a headache there from my neck, next to the base of my skull towards the side (not the center-towrds the ear but below) where there is a bump. I think tendons and muscles attach there. For a long time I didn't realize something was wrong going on there, and I still don't know what to do about it but will bring it up with my rheumatologist and hope there is some kind of PT to stretch it out. I know one thing that triggers mine to be messed up for days, is at night I sometimes do a prolonged twisting of my head. I have a neck pillow that helps, but sometimes I am restless and push it out of the way. Anyway, that causes referred pain to the area behind my eye.

Comment

Hi,
          I used to get one in the back; it had me whimpering it was so painful. As it turned out, that's where my neuros think I had my stroke. I haven't had pain there since, and that was back in '96. (Knock on wood! )

suse

Comment

Big question Suse ---- Have you had an MRI of your brain?

Comment

Many! :o

suse

Comment

Suse - I consider that great news!
                Having had MRIs - not the headaches

Comment

I used to get headaches that woke me up, or I'd wake up with them in the morning. I found out I had sleep apnea and that was one of the symptoms. I guess from blood being shut off to the brain. Occasionally I still get them if I sleep without using my C-pap. And yep, they were migraines. I was a migraine queen at one time. I got them other times, too. As in most every day, hugging the bowl and everything. I think I was one of the original migraine forum members here, about 1996? This is my first time back in years. After twenty-some years of daily headaches, my migraines have pretty well disappeared (There's hope!!!). I get one occasionally but they aren't nearly as bad, haven't thrown up in years, usually I can take Excedrin. I wasn't sure this forum was still around or not. It used to be really busy, and there were some very well-informed members. Out of the blue, I got an email today about the forum being back up. Anyways, sleep apnea is an avenue to consider if you're waking with them. I remember how elusive answers seemed to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X