Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meanness gave it up today.

Distinguished Community Member

Default Meanness gave it up today.

I was so tired I sat and went back to sleep in recliner after getting granddaughter off this morning and feeding the dog. Hubby was home and was outside working. So he let the dog out. But with me being so sound asleep, I did not hear the dog when he wanted back in, and I am sure he did. He (had to change this to was) was like a big old wooly bear lumbering around and by noon when hubby came inside to eat a sandwich, the dog had probably gotten to warm, lay down in the grass and gave it up. It was about 80 degrees. We had cut the big old tree that gave so much shade on all the yard. I had noticed that he had gotten so much slower lately but if I had my druthers of course, he would have just died peacefully on his bed inside. Death always has it's say and we usually never get to say how we'd prefer things, even with our pets. I had four siblings for such a long time, hime being a LOT longer than the others for some reason, he just stayed with it years and years longer than his sisters and brothers. Well as for me, I don't want any more pets, at least not now. It is going to be awfully lonely and after I get all his fuzzy puffs of hair cleaned up, the place will not be the same and I'll miss the fuzz even.

It will be too easy to remember the day as it is son's birthday today. Glad I had already told son Happy Birthday. And sure hope they never ask us to take their little dog, I like him but sure do find dogs to be harder to care for than cats for some reason, especially small frisky ones, LOL. I make a good person to keep them for trips etc for son but that's as far as I want to go with it. I am worried more because they just got new furniture and so here is hoping Sully minds well.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

joy ,

i'm so sorry.

i know you loved meanness. they depend on you and they give you unconditional love...

pets give you so much joy, yet they are here for such a short time that it is truly heartbreaking when they die. i didn't want another pet after my pepper died, but everyone else did. i didn't want to go through the death of another pet. nick and nora have brought me so much joy and i will have to be there when they die also. for me, the older i get the harder it is to get over the loss.

i know you're grieving and will for a long time.

i understand and empathize....

(((((hugs))))),
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 10-17-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Oh Joy, I'm so sorry ,,Sure am sad for you. I can understand why you feel you may not want another dog. I'm facing that question with my dog. He's just getting older and I dread losing him. Once he does go I am taking a break from pets. Though my son keeps trying to line one up for me I just don't think any dog will replace the dog I have.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dee

Community Member

Joy, I am so very sorry to hear you have lost your dog. Please know I'm thinking of you and giving you gentle hugs!

Dx: Epilepsy; depression; chronic GERD and peptic ulcer disease; pelvis and spine damage from accident.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Aww Joy, I am so sorry Meanness has left you. It sounds like he went the way he wanted. Doing what dogs love and do best. Laying around the yard letting the ole bones warm in the soothing sun. I know you will miss your furbaby but you will see each other again. I am sorry your friend has passed.

(((((((((joy))))))))

I'm so sorry...it's hard when they go, a real heartache. Take comfort inknowing that he knew how much you loved him.

Joy, this is so sad. I like to think Meaness is in doggie heaven sniffing & running like a puppy with my Mary,Pepper and Rags. wish I was there to give you a real hug. we all feel your pain. ((((gentle hug)))) Pati

I knew I would miss him but I really thought I was better prepared. Shock, I never learn this one but keep hoping I can lessen the hurt and of course it never turns out that way. At least we did not have to actually pick him up and carry him to be put to sleep. He has had to be helped up off the floor more often lately. Just his bad luck all of our floors are slick. But it thundered and rained last night so of course I missed his being right by the bed putting his big paw on the mattress wanting me to comfort him. And today so cold and dreary with the rain hanging on. Oh it will be a long cold miserable winter.

We took in the four puppies. Blond Angel, black Jack, brown Mem short for in Memory of (I had just lost a pet cat). and briwn &tan black Meanness, the prettiest of them all. All are buried on the farm where they loved to roam and run free whenever they got the chance. Only Meannes got to live long enough to move to the city and become a housedog.

Distinguished Community Member puddykat's Avatar

My heart goes out to you and passing your beloved pet.......Thought and prayers are with you and your family.
    hugs, kat
    TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

thanks.

and because it was too short thanks everyone again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast