Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather Changes and MS

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Default Weather Changes and MS

I know this is, duhhhh, nothing new, but I'm just so sick and tired of it all..

I used to love all the change of seasons. Each one brought special memories and desires.

My fav, Fall...the start of school and seeing old friends again, the crispness of the air and pumpkin pie..
    Spring has sprung, the grass is Rizz, I vunder vare the flowers is. Weddings, Graduations, Love!
    Winter ice skating, building snowpeeps. sledding, warm fires and the holidays.
    Summer..schools out, sun, rain, swimming, parties, cookouts and picnics.

I always felt soooo good with the weather changes for the seasons, before MS and...Now my body rejects every atmospheric change and I hate it.

I dig the cool weather more now, with MS and dispize the bitter cold and sweltering hot extremes. They didn't used to bother me, I grew up without A/C and walked to school through the bitter cold with scarves over my face.

Now, the weather back and forth changes from hot to cold to hot to cold to humid to dry to whatever, keeps me tired, listless, grumpy, achy, spastic and sad.

Anyone else? And what do you do to help.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Sally,
    I don't know if weather changes bother me but I do know that extreme heat and extreme cold are very bad news. The cold doesn't need to be so very extreme any more to be bothersome. There was a time when I found only subzero temperatures to be a problem. I'd lose sensation in my legs then and have other problems too. Nowadays problems come on after only a few minutes outside on days below 50'F.

I stay in much of the time, where I can control the temperature. No longer being dependent on landlords who turn the radiators off or on at their whim has been helpful for me. Since 1983 I've been able to control the heat in my apartment. And in the last two years AC has been available too. Before that I tinkered with fans and windows until I felt comfortable.

It took a lot of tinkering sometimes, and I added on a cooling vest and cooling wristbands. Now with the AC I find I don't need those as much.

I have little thermometers in every room and a thermometer on an outside window to show me the outdoor temperature. I prefer living in places with a north exposure--no direct sun.

I really try hard to avoid temperature extremes.
    Last edited by agate; 10-24-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Sally, you described how I feel about the weather better than I can do it myself! I feel every change it seems. More tingling, sometimes more spasticity, more numbness in the cold. I also can not get warm in real cold weather - no matter what I do. The heat is absolutely awful for me. And yes I feel the sadness very often. My moods can now change with the weather as well as the MS. In just cool, low humidity I do much better and my mood is much better.

I have not found much that I can do about it. Sometime I read and try to get lost in a book or a movie, but these things are very transit. So mostly, I guess we all just take it one day at a time as best we can.

You are always so sunny and such a cheerful person. Like you I miss the old me that could do all the things you talked about, but know that will never be again.

Maybe the weather will not be so severe this winter. At least we will hope.
    Virginia

I'm going to use the hate word. I don't like to say hate because it it a very negative word, and I try to stay positive. That said, I HATE the cold weather and I HATE the snow and ice. There, I said it! :ambivalence:

I really like the Spring, Summer and Fall and can make it okay with that weather. But the Winter is so unpredictable, ask the weather people, they don't know either. When it is below 60 outside, no matter what I have as a temperature inside, I freeze.

I have to keep moving, or having a hot drink, to keep my internal temperature up so I don't pile on many layers of clothes indoors. My family wears shorts and tops in the Winter, while I have sweats and a sweater on. I have a normally low body temperature, so it never gets up there high enough to warm me.

I can take the hot Summer, with humidity, better than the cold with slippery snow and ice. I still go out and drive so I am stuck in, housebound in the Winter. I am afraid to fall and break something vital, like my head.

Even now, one day it is warm, next day it's cold. The nights can drop down 30 or more degrees while you are out shopping. It would be nice if each season would be more consistent so we could get used to it gradually.

Sally, I miss those good old days too. I think nothing bothers the young folks, or the people without disabilities. JMO

Lady

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

Thanks so much Agate, Virginia and Lady. I am soooo validated by your thoughtful replies.

I can't say I hate anything as beautiful as the winter's snow and yes, even ice, is a beauty to behold, but I can say that, I HATE the effects that it has on my poor old MS body,
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 10-25-2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

I have a one season clothing preference, live in a 2 season clothing sized apartment
    and in a 4 season town.

Time to move to San Diego and live in a sarong, tank top and pink high tops.
    Moderate temperatures sound sweeeeet.

Snow predicted later in the week.
    Down vest over a tank top, eh.

Keep your stick on the ice, kids.
    Last edited by renee; 10-25-2011 at 09:07 PM.

I agree Renee, I wish I could move my whole family and all my friends to San Diego..
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member

I have trouble with heating/cooling systems. They cut in/out about 2 (?) degrees of the set temp. Both of those extremes make me uncomfortable -- I'm always trying to adjust it. And the blowing air is as bad as the extremes.

I'm happy right now, because the weather is neither hot nor cold, so we don't have the A/C on.

Thanks Parsnip..:)
    Love, Sally

Cool Weather changes

I do not have MS so I will start out with that. And for those of you who do, I am sorry, I have 2 cousins with MS and the rest of us got other disorders of the immune system. I myself got Fibro w/chronic fatigue and Bi-Polar and IBS. But, even those disorders bring migraines with the weather change. Like the last 3 days I have had bad headaches. I think it is the front coming through, so I can look forward to these headaches till the front passes. And with airplanes if the cabin isn't really in good shape changing the pressure of the plane when landing, OH MY, it's like a knife in my forehead. I could scream. But, I am fortunate enough to have a script of Imitrex for the headaches.
    Now, about the hot and the cold temps. When I had to leave the house or go outside when it was cold, I would shiver and shake and the muscles up my spine would get so tight that it would bring me to my knees. I don't allow myself to get cold any more. If it is cold outside, this ole lady stays in. Now for the hot. Had a terrible time this summer with those dern ole hot flashes. As soon as I would eat, or night sweats they would wake me. nothing helped. Wish I knew a secret for them, but, now that it is getting cooler, I just get them a couple times a week compared to all the time. So I am happy with the cooler weather. :o Beccie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast