Thread: Drug Tests regarding a new job

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Default Drug Tests regarding a new job

I might get a new job & then I would have to take the drug test. I remember reading about it here but forgot all about it. I don't want to say at 1st that I have epilepsy. I think I might tell them I have a "seizure disorder". I'm thinking about the drug test. Of course they will see I take drugs but what do I do? I remember someone here said they will tell the ppl who give the test that they take their med due to epilepsy. What do I do?

Lorraine (lor)

Community Member

After you get the job and take the drug test, sit down with your boss and tell him you have epilepsy. You could even get a doctors not stating that you have epilepsy and that you are taking meds for it that will show positive on a drug test. Even if your seizures are well controlled on meds, you want your employer to know that you have epilepsy, in case you have a seizure so they know what to do. It is privileged information that only your employer will know.

Distinguished Community Member

Default Good Luck

Hi Lor,

Each time I've ever applied for a job I've told the employer about my epilepsy so they can't hold it against me if have a sz. at work and they can't fire me if I had a sz. Since I was 16 yrs. old I've
    always told the employer that I had sz. and there never was any problems. I've been at the job I have now for 26 yrs. and had sz. at work. I've made it a point to tell staff and students I work with
    about my epilepsy so they won'tbe afraid if I have a sz. plus they are learning more about epilepsy. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
    Last edited by Porkette; 10-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.

What meds do you take Lor? They only check for the ones you might think like street drugs, some narcotics etc. If I think there is a chance they might detect something (and it will not be your exact drug but maybe and only possibly one in the same class), I tell them "I take a prescription medication." Period! I do not volunteer anything else. Why would I? It is NOT required and your application asks "are you able to do the job with or without accommodation? Put yes. It is all they can ask legally. You set yourself up if you volunteer more. No one else walks in and says I have diabetes. I have hypertension. It gets you ruled out and rightly so. It is very strong buyer's market for jobs. Why make it hard? Makes no sense. You are not required to tell them you have an illness unless it affects your ability to do the job. We are no different from others applying. Some people need to or like to be separate and unique. Not me. I want to be able to go through my activities free from all possible discrimination and ignorance. Why open a closed door?Tattoo
    Last edited by Tattoo2; 10-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

I take Lamictal
    Lorraine (lor)

They will never check for that at all. That costs lots to do the drug screens and they do the typical checks as i said Lamictal not most f thr other meds we take are not among them. You have no reason to worry at all. I forgot to add that if I do mention that I "take a prescription med" it is usually after they run it and only if they mention it but they never have. No worries. No need to disclose except by your choice. Good luck, Tattoo

Listen to Tattoo. I've taken drug tests. As she said, they're looking for street drugs not prescription drugs.

New Community Member

Hey Lor-

I have taken the drug test twice. I think I may have had to list medications I am taking, but due to confidentiality, these are not relayed to the employer. They are only looking for illegal drug use.

In regards to telling the employer, I did it differently. I went into work and did my job. Eventually people would ask about my med. alert bracelet and whether I had diabetes or an allergy or something. I would be honest and tell them about my epilepsy. It usually suprised people and when they were comfortable, they would ask me all about it and I would tell them. Always turned into a great teaching experience. I did it this way because I want to be judged on my abilities alone. As awful as it is, it is human nature to become biased, whether conciously or not.

Now, if my co-workers can deal with the quirky me, the revealation that I have epilepsy is like a drop in the bucket! ;) Ha ha (yes, I love mocking myself).

Good luck. I hope you get the job you want.

Best-
    Stacy

It is my understanding that if you test positive for a Prescription drug, that it has to go to the medical director of the lab, they are Supposed to call your doctor, and as long as the script is valid, they are supposed to label it negative. This also includes narcotics. Sadly, I lost a job when the agency i worked for got the raw results and told me , I wish I would have sued as I feel I had a case , i had the job, my meds do not interfere with it, I work (or did) in IT and have done so for thirty years. Check the law, I know that is the law in Florida and I am sure it is the same in other staes , it may even be a federal law.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot