Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me understand

Community Member

Default help me understand

why do some people not want to take pain meds ? Wow if your in Pain severe pain dont you want relief . I just cant understand that.

Dear August 26...

I took all day to write this...and now I have finished and re-read it....I hope you read it quick....I am having one of those...I think I talk too much...moments...and may come back and erase my words...

so...

I don't know if I can make you understand...but...I can give you some reasons why I do not take pain meds...I have a spine injury...and a brain injury...and quite a few others...but those are the major altering of life ones....

As long as I was in recovery...and in acute pain...I took some medications...they...for what ever reason...do not function in me as meant...this took a lot of experimenting and exasperation from me and doctors...I don't seem to be in a real world function with them......distorted out of real...

At the time we all realized...this was as much function of body...and mind...that I would achieve...I was going to therapy...for the mind...3 times a week...of all my doctors...I had 2 that were very important to me...in the finding of the me...I am now...Both very patient...very giving...of their time and their knowledge...giving me access to avenues maybe not available to most...they really were invested in me personally as a patient...and in my recovery...

I was an investigator of the brain...by this time...5 years into recovering what I could...of my mind and function of body...I got very depressed....this was it?....my horror story was to be non ending....

I went to library after library...even access to my doctors libraries....I read all there was to read...some of it so dry...I would end up reading the same sentence over and over....others I would need three kinds of dictionaries to decipher into my level of understanding...

Then I came across a book...that laid it out...this is what was to be my life...and it gave two choices...and then gave the results of those two paths...

One I was severly damaged...enough so that I would always have pain...no matter what..the signal to my brain would read pain....I could go the pain med route...I would build tolerances to medication...so I would always be searching for a stronger medication that would take away my pain...but at some point...doctors would quit increasing...and eventually because they are trained to cure...and couldn't...and I would be constantly wanting stronger pain meds...they would drop me..because I would be unhelpable...and these meds would be the cause of problems to the organs of my body...which would require more meds...which would cause other problems...so my life would be consumed....by searching for stronger and stronger pain medications...and for Doctors to prescribe...

I would live a life of constant searching and worry...and destroy my body over time...and the biggest irony would be that I would still be in pain...because there is no pain med available that would ever stop the level of pain I had....or repair my brain....

OR...

I could accept that I was in pain...and choose to live with it...a key point to that is that when I made that choice I had to do it with a good attitude...to be a happy person in pain...or a bitter person in pain....and live my life as best I could....

Over the years of reading here...I have read some peoples experience.....to be those thoughts expressed as truth...there were times people talked about taking so many different medications...and yet they were still in pain...and they talked of the damage the pain meds had done to them in certain areas after long time use...they talked of Doctors letting them go...and through it all....they talked about the pain they were still in.....It isn't all people...or all Doctors...but it was an expressed reality....according to what the Doctor who wrote the book had envisioned...

I have pain....when you have it all the time...it does something...I don't know how to explain it...the mind even mine...has a gift for you...you go to a spot...where it isn't in the front...it is there but it is a constant...like an electrical jolt...that runs all the time....a burring sensation....that accompanies anything you do...always....there are moments when it is so bad...you don't think you can take it...but I have been taking it for 15 years now....but then you don't keep it in front...you put it in the back....there is always something better than pain to place your mind on...When I do go to the doctor and pay attention to my pain.....so I can talk to him about it...I often cry....

I use alternative methods...accupunture...repeated adjustments...water when I can...no pain in deep water....homeopathics...sometimes not moving...prayer...meditation...LOVE....my husband can pet me where it hurts...ever so gently and take away pain.....and giving love....doing something for someone else is a special kind of....remover of pain....I have gone for Blessings and have recieved them...on numerous occasions...and...beauty...beauty...beauty...and of course...laughter....I will find humor in anything...and if ever I can start laughing...I will milk laughter for all it is worth...and laugh until there isn't a drop of giggle left in me...you just don't care about pain when you are laughing....

Of course...my hair is almost completely silver...and I can't do a lot...but I wouldn't be able to do a lot any way...and I am completely aware of my body...and stay as balanced as possible...When I go to new Doctor's they can't believe I am not on pain medication...they keep repeating it....I live in the moment...but see too...the big picture...I live my life...with the choice...to pay attention....and to BE ABLE to pay attention...

I do....pray everyone...ease of their pain...someone to listen to them...someone to love....and always...LAUGHTER....
    Last edited by hummer; 10-10-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Hi august, honestly I don't take my pain medication as often as prescribed for a few reasons. Major reason is because I am a recovering drug addict. Thank God pills were never my thing but I understand that once an addict always an addict and am rightly afraid that my addictions could manifest in other ways. I also know what they do to the body and despite the pain I don't want the pills to kill me...most days. I also am very med sensitive and get funky side effects, like suicidal ideations type crazy or meds poop out on me fairly quickly. Since I do plan to be around what am I to do if I run out of options for pain control, as if there really is such a thing, by taking them.....well I guess as prescribed.

I do take my other meds faithfully, anti depressants, fibro meds, asthma, birth control, and have gotten down to the bare bones. If my docs had their way I would get 3 meds per ailment lol.

I am battling with the quick increase in my pain levels over the last year or two. I thought I was coming to terms with living with pain but the worse it gets the deeper I sink and now I am resigned to having to take my pain meds more regularly. I can't live like this, laying/reclining on my bed, my lazy boy, all day long. I do get outside as often as I can tolerate, it keeps me sane but I always pay with worsening pain in the end.

I do take it preventatively like if as a family we go out to do things, even for something like doing some major housework but it doesn't last me through the whole task and afterwards I am too far gone with pain for the next dose to really do anything. As far as the doc says I am taking the strongest pain med out there and if this poops out don't know where to go.

Hummer I have been meaning to message you ever since I read your post to Burr's thread. Will get up the nerve eventually. I just want to say that it took three tries to get through your response. It made me cry because so many of those words I could have written though our pains are different. I am not coping very well.

Community Member

I believe that that it all depends on how long you have been in chronic pain. I am sure that the people that have chosen to not take pain pills now, have tried many different pills for a long time now. After awhile they can adjust to what their body can withstand and choose self control over their pain, instead of having all the side effects all the meds give them. Everyone is different on how to control pain. How long have you been in pain ? There is a difference.

Community Member

I don't normally post on this forum but do belong given spinal and peripheral nerve issues.

For me, I chose to limit my use of pain meds as the side effects are worse than the pain. Like hummer, I use alternative means to reduce the pain. I'm a definite fan of acupuncture and massage. I had the "opportunity" to visit an ER a few weeks ago and the doctor was more fixated on why I wasn't taking methadone for my spinal stenosis than the really reason I was there => obvious infection that I ultimately ended being transported to another hospital for admittance and surgery. He just kept going back to why I wasn't taking strong pain meds. It made me uncomfortable and wish I hadn't said anything about the stenosis. I definitely feel like the treatment was worse once he labeled me as a chronic pain patient.

Community Member

thank you for all your answers and I guess I do understand . I have been in pain now for 17yr but I want medications to control it . I have been thru the routine try this try that one . and it just now took me till the last 3 yrs that my pain is under control. I do not take any narcotics . I want to live the rest of my life comfortably , taking walks , seeing my grandkids . It just breaks my heart to hear your stories and feel like i need to help yall. But you live your life the way you see fit and I will live mine. All I can say is so sorry you have to suffer . Thanks again

Distinguished Community Member

august, you ask a very good question and as you have read there are varying reasons. I avoided pain meds for 15 years because I could deal with the pain better than I could the SE that came with the medications. Now I am not sure that was the best answer for me as the pain continued to increase as the years went by and finally I had to take meds to control the pain if I wanted to survive. As a result I deal with manageable pain today despite taking strong pain medication. Would I be dealing with less pain now if I would have taken pain medication earlier. Current research indicates that our brains and nerve systems change because of pain and by not stopping the pain early I might have been developing pain paths that elevate my pain now.

I do know in my case it was the hated SE that kept me from taking pain meds for years including the years I was going through surgery.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

hello august.

first off let me mention i have Fibro, Rheumatoid arthritis, Minor Cerbal Palsy. so i know to much about pain.

I don't take it unless i need it. why? most i am givin is hydrocodon and it just ain't strong enough. Sure i can take a lot of it but i am worried about getting hooked on it.

I had a sister that was addicted to pain meds. i have seen what it does to a person. I don't want to get addicted.

so to me its a choice of putting up with the pain or risk addiction by having to take a bunch of pain pills. i can ignore pain very well.

Distinguished Community Member

Waggytalk - It is everyones free choice (except where the Government butts in) to take meds or not. I would rather be dependent on a drug - this is not addiction - whole nother thread, then lay in bed all day. Was your sister in severe pain? then she needed the meds, much like a diabetic needs insulin. Would you cut them off because they are addicted to insulin? I am sorry, but you hit a nerve here. if all you have to take is Hydro, You are lucky and i do wish you the best of luck since any level of pain should NOT have to be tolerated. Today's society has gone opoidphobic, so that people suffer needlessly since they fear becoming hooked. Is a diabetic a drug addict?. physically dependent yes, . A drug addict, NO. A diabetic is hooked in much the same way, as you say - what is the differance? both patients need the drugs they get for medical reasons. do not judge until you have walked in my shoes. Now the people who abuse them, that is a differant story. I have NO use for them as it just makes it harder for the rest of us. I get a UA every month have medical records to back me up, I suffer from a number of conditions, should I not get proper treatment?
    Alex44
    Last edited by alex44; 10-25-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Community Member

Most docs will say "you're taking a very strong drug" even when talking about vicodin which is NOT the strongest pain drug around. Those that do say that are usually against opiate use. I went through many different types of meds until I found the one that worked the best. Everyone responds differently, some people can get by without meds, some can't. That is why it is so important for us to not let the government tell us who can and cannot use them.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years
    4-12-09 Trip to Laser Spine in Florida. Nerve pain 90% gone.
    Off opiate, using Marijuana tincture, working well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast