Home remedies for sprains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home remedies for sprains?

The other day I twisted my ankle and strained it pretty badly. One of my co-workers told me to eat pineapple to help ease the pain . Well I didn't have any Advil left at home but there was some pineapple in the fridge so I thought why not. It did seem to reduce the pain a little, but not as much as 2 advil would have

My sprain has pretty much healed, it's a little stiff but not enough to bother me much :) I was just wondering if there are any other home remedies to treat sprains with? With my luck I'm bound to need them

The old acronym is "R.I.C.E" which is all stuff you can easily do at home.

R = Rest
    I = Ice
    C = Compression (ie ACE bandage)
    E = Elevation (ie put your foot up on some pillows)
    Mitochondrial Disease (Complex I Deficiency)--I have complicated medical issues affecting multiple organ systems.
    See http://www.umdf.org and http://www.mitoaction.org for more info on mitochondrial diseases.

Comment

Originally posted by Kira View Post

R = Rest
      I = Ice
      My words exactly!!

suse

Comment

when someone says to eat Chocolate for sprains I'll go for the home remendies!! Jo:)
        Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
        'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Jo6 View Post
          when someone says to eat Chocolate for sprains I'll go for the home remendies!! Jo:)
          Sounds great to me Jo!! (YUM)

suse

Comment

Originally posted by Kira View Post

R = Rest
            I = Ice
            This is what I'll be doing over the next couple of days :(
            Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
            Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
            Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
            Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
            Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
            Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
            Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Mike, I'm so sorry about your wrist and thumb. It isn't pleasant to sit around with your arm higher than your head and bags of frozen ice in there somewhere.:) My daughter is a PT and that is exactly what she tells me. I want to use heat, but she nags on and on that heat makes it swell more. I guess she is right, but this time of the year the heat feels better.

Sorry you picked up that cold too. Get well soon, Jo
              Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle

for my brother Ben

Comment

So I took a photo a few minutes ago It looks a thousand times better than it did 3 days ago (couldn't find my camera battery then) and feels fine now. It gets a little sore if I put too much weight on it (getting out of chairs) but nothing I can't handle ;) Click the image for full size.

ouchies.jpg

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

The full size image looks kind of blurry, but from what I can see, you still have a good amount of swelling, along with a bit of subcutaneous bleeding. I'd keep it elevated, iced, and immobilized if possible for a while. No tight bandaging, it will slow circulation that is necessary to reduce swelling.

Type with your left hand, I am confident you can do it!!!
                  Last edited by David Hosobuchi; 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM.
                  "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Gosh Mike!! That looks horrible. Maybe you need to have it ex-rayed? I'm glad it is feeling better but I agree with whatever David said. My, you better not do anything with that right hand for a long time.

OK, I'll stop nagging. Everybody nags at me so I guess I will nag at you....this once :)

take care, Jo

for my brother Ben

Comment

Hmm that photo isn't all that accurate. There is no swelling and the bruise is going away. I'll try to take a better one after I wake up

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Hey Mike,

What pretty pretty colors! It matches my eyes! Do you have any carpal tunnel supports which you could wear loosely?

The other thing for bruising and swelling is homeopathic Arnica, both tabs and cream. Not sure about all the other homeopathic remedies, but Arnica and Apis [for bug bites] sure work well for me. And they only take up a tiny amount of room in the medicine cabinet.

Did I miss the story on how you got this way?

Sher
                        Sher
                        My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Comment

Hi Sher :)

I was playing touch football with my nephews and some other kids the day after Christmas. Wet grass and an out of shape adult trying to cut inside to avoid going out of bounds = sprained wrist At least I scored the touchdown

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Working...
                          X