Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star close S E

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Question Star close S E

Does anyone have information on this type of closer? I thought at first it was something that dissolved over time, now I read it is a clip that is put in to close the femoral artery. Do these stay forever? Has anyone had any problems with these? I have this and am one that likes to know about what is in my body ! It would seem that I had the events reversed, I thought the clip did not work and they had to apply extra pressure, but I think the bleeding was so bad they had to use this instead, now I am concerned about future angiograms! Can they remove these? So many questions I know , but my mind is all over the place! Thanks for any information that you can provide, , GING

Here's some info on the Star CLosure Ging

I had disovable anchors in both my arteries - I think it took a few months to disolve

http://www.abbottvascular.com/us/starclose-se.html
    Tropical Trish
    7mm Basilar Tip~Coiled & Stent Nov4/08 Watch List 2nd Ane
    One of the great labor-saving devices of today is tomorrow!

Community Member

Ging,

I have 2 Star Close devices. I questioned my IR at my last angiogram and he said it was fine. Just keep your card in your wallet in case you have to have anything emergent, but I have found I just tell people. They just need to be aware of it but it did not stop me from having procedures at all. I think they told me the first time that I got one, that they had been able to put 52 in the artery of a pig. I guess we should be fine then

Sometimes, I do feel them pinch and I swear I feel my blood tumble through there sometimes!!!
    Candice-37 years old
    7 mm ophthalmic annie clipped Nov 14, 2007
    4 mm daughter annie clipped March 11, 2009
    September 2009 diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia

From what I have read Ging and Candice these new star closures seem to be the cat’s meow!

Personally ~ I am tired of having foreign parts in my body

With the coils and stent and various other pieces of medical flotsam I have - count em - 37 miscellaneous parts in me.

Yup - I feel like the Million Dollar Lady some days and that is not my bank account!:ambivalence:

None of the parts set off the airport detectors though ~ but I wonder what the screeners see on their nekid TV when they look at my body!

I have no comment on the pig ~ other than "poor pig"
    Last edited by TropicalTrish; 10-03-2011 at 10:11 AM.
    Tropical Trish
    7mm Basilar Tip~Coiled & Stent Nov4/08 Watch List 2nd Ane
    One of the great labor-saving devices of today is tomorrow!

poor pig :(,
    candice, I did not know you had to have angiograms if you were clipped ??
    are both of your "stars" in the same leg?
    I have to have my follow up angio in March, I would prefer the disolvable kind if the pressure doesnt work, I don't like the pinch I get when I bend my leg to far, like to paint my toe nails, big mess there :)

Community Member

Ging,
    Unfortunately I had to have the angiograms because of problems. They did the first because they couldn't see my second annie. A CTA didn't help because of artifact from the clip they had to determine the exact size shape to come up with a plan on what to do. I had to have the second angiogram because I was experiencing near syncope and we where worried about occlusion at the clips. It turned out to be extreme vasovagal response--so thank God no surgery!

They were able to go into the right femoral artery both times with no problems at all. I was really worried about it, but the IR said it was no problem. The pinch did get better, but I do still feel it at times. I think it is really strange that I can feel a "tumbling" feeling sometimes right where they are. It is almost like you feel when your stomach rumbles. I wonder about scar tissue.
    Candice-37 years old

Candice, I get the same feeling on my leg, like a tub being drained, ha ha and I was hoping the pinch would go away if scar tissue padded it up !
    Oh well, we are alive and kicking, (not to high) but kicking :)

Community Member

LOL--We are that!!! Remember our blessings daily (I have to tell myself that constantly) At least, it will get a little better with time!
    Candice-37 years old

Hi Ging and all,

Just as a FYI, I have had at least four Star Closures over the last 6 years in two arteries (left and right), and I have had at least three of them work their way out of my body. The only reason I have actually seen them is that I use one of those plastic scrunchy things in the shower, and have caught three in the plastic webbing. I have never had any artery bleeding after finding these Star Closures, and I have not had any bruising, before or after. I asked my NIR about them (since he placed two of them) and he said that having a Star Closure work it's way out of my body was rare , but understandable. My artery was healed and my body was moving it out.

So perhaps your body will eventually clean itself.
    Sending all of you a (((Hug)))).
    JulieNH

Still can't get used to being a "New" community member....haven't been here for awhile, but I've been here forr six years....
    JulieNH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast