Importing this thread from archive:

Quote Originally Posted by LeakingnHissinginPotomac

07-17-2011, 09:13 AM
New Community Member

Default Dr. Linda Gray (Leithe) at Duke - Request Info
Hi,

I am deciding on where to have a second blood patch done, which is expected to be a higher volume, double patch. I had a CT Myelo. My neuroradiologist identified a slow CSF leak in the thoracic area at T9-10. I have had one blood patch, 10 cc's. No improvement. I am interested in knowing what happens on a daily basis when Dr. Gray does the procedure at Duke. I live in Maryland and if I go to Duke it would be by car. Based on a brief call with Dr. Gray, my understanding is that I would be at Duke for the procedure from Tuesday to Saturday. I would appreciate any information those of you or your family members who have had blood patch procedures done at Duke in the last year or so would provide as to what occurs daily during the time you are there. For example, after the procedure do you stay nearby for a couple of days so that Dr. Gray and her staff can monitor you and make sure that you are ok or if you have an adverse reaction from the procedure such as a severe high pressure headache they can treat it?

I don't want to burden anyone but as much detail as you can provide would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

LeakingnHissinginPotomac

7-17-11
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
#2 Report Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Dr. Gray - Duke
Hi ---
I think you will find my posts following my visit to Dr. Gray in December, 2010, will answer a lot of your questions.
Here is just one ---dated 12/20/10

Hi everyone ---

Just flew home from Duke yesterday, after many "lovely" tests by the marvelous Dr. Gray. She is truly an inexhaustable whirlwind, and the epitome of empathy. I have never felt so taken care of in these past 2 years of suffering as I have from the amazing staff at Duke!

The LP showed 3 significant leaks, which she patched, along with the 4th, of course, that she created. But since my pressure was "normal" at 14 1/2, she felt I might have another situation.

A subsequent cervical myelogram with CT guidance showed a nerve root compression at C2-3 due to good old degeneration. The myelogram involved rolling me around like a log - not fun and very nauseating I might add.
I should note the BPs gave me 20% relief for only 2 days --- after which Dr. Gray feels they may have releaked again, so fibrin glue would be the next option for a more permanent solution.

Dr. Gray squeezed me in to see Dr. Brown, an orthopedic surgeon, on Thursday, and he determined a block at C2-3 disc space might relieve the head pressure if it was caused by the nerve compression. So she performed that on Friday, and the injections minicked the extreme head pain, so that was a significant finding.

Unfortunately, the ha had also been brought on by the myelogram, so it's conceivable I have 2 separate situations to deal with - leaks and a nerve root compression.

Soooo --- when the steroids in the disc space kick in, within the next week or so, and I get complete relief then we will know I need a spinal fusion to correct the nerve compression. My Long Island orth surgeon had already told me from x-rays that a 4-level fusion could be in my future, but he could not determine if it would relieve the ha.

I will continue to be patient and keep my daily journal, in an attempt to decipher this medical mess. As many of us on this site feel, we deserve a medical degree at least for all this information we have to sift through and absorb!

It was nice knowing I was not going thru this alone, and I had my cheering section from this site, along with my wonderful family and friends. Thank you all for being there for me - it means more than words can say to know there are complete strangers in this world who care.

Best to all, and enjoy the holidays with good health and happiness ---
Marianne

I'll check for my hotel info, as it was very convenient, and I'll post again for you.

You are definitely seeing a remarkable physician.
Good luck - Marianne
#3 Report Post
Old 07-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Click on this thread for more info ---

Off to see Dr. Gray at Duke on 12/14 - need words of encouragement!
#4 Report Post
Old 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM
New Community Member

Thank you, Marianne. I am reading the posts.

I appreciate your quick reply and all words of encouragement.

LeakingnHissinginPotomac
#5 Report Post
Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Leaking ---
The Milennium Hotel is close, convenient, clean and very reasonable. Duke Hospital uses it as the cite of their Sleep Apnea Clinic, as it's literally down the street from Duke. My husband wants to return there just because everyone went out of their way to be nice to us, AND they have room service! Great for recovering after your testing.
Wish you lots of luck --- keep us posted.
Marianne
#6 Report Post
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM
New Community Member

Thank you, Marianne, for the info re the hotel. "Nice" and room service are a good combo.

My current plan is that my neuroradiologist in Bethesda, Maryland will do the second blood patch procedure. He has recently conferred with Dr. Linda Gray (Leithe) of Duke regarding the procedure. I sent Dr. Gray a disk with the images of the CT Myelo and the first blood patch. The plan is for the second blood patch to be done in early August. It will be a single patch of 20 cc's in the high lumbar area, rather than a double patch. I am told that this should be an easier procedure because the lumbar space is larger than the thoracic and it is easier to locate the needle.

Thanks for the good luck. I will keep posting. This community and the postings by members have been so helpful and supportive. I am very grateful.

LeakingnHissinginPotomac

7-21-11