OT Reading "Awkward *****"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT Reading "Awkward *****"

If you want to read a tell it like it is book written by someone with MS this is the one. The title is "Awkward *****" and it can be ordered from Amazon.com.

The meaning of ***** in Webster's is 1. a female dog 2. a woman esp. a bad tempered woman 3. (Slang) to complain.

I will be using the third meaning to complain about a prior post (and this one as well) where the word "*****" is censored out with ***** and the word damn is not. Why is the word ***** worse than the word damn? Who determines the words that are censored and the ones that are not?

I think it is a damn shame when one cannot post the title to a book without censorship. Where is freedom of speech? I'm just being a ***** this morning because I feel like it. MS made me do it! The word ***** rhymes with witch.

Is there a master list of words that can't be used on this board?

Just wanted to light a fire this morning as a little bit of fall is in the air.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

I wish boards didn't have these censorship features but they seem to be here to stay. A *****[b---h] is a perfectly respectable term for a female dog. Anyone who breeds dogs uses the word ***** [b---h] routinely.

I hope you'll post your question in Forum Feedback. I looked around for any information on what gets censored and why but so far I haven't found it.

Thanks for contributing to the rabble-rousing, Gabriella.
    Last edited by agate; 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Forum

Agate, Thanks for the suggestion. I have followed thru with the posting to Forum Feedback. We certainly need something to rouse the dead. If there is not a master list of words it will just be trial and error for awhile.

I'm certainly glad we got the edit feature back......I was lost without it. That will wake up the paranoid amongst us.

Gabriella
      Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-23-2011, 11:39 AM.
      Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
      Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Comment

While it is a valid word, it is rarely used properly and is more often than not used as a derogatory slam, hence it being filtered. It's also a favorite descriptive word amongst the prn spammers so it will always be filtered here to thwart their attempts at invading these forums.
        Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
        Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
        Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
        Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
        Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
        Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
        Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Hi Gabriella, - now that all the rabble-rousing has been taken care of and we know why we can't use the work *********(b***h), how about telling us if the book was any good. My next one is going to be the one written by Craig, but like to keep some in mind.

Virginia
          Virginia

Comment

Biography Only

Hi Virginia, As a biography from the writer's aspect of living with MS I thought it was good. It is not a medical book which tells you what to do when you are in the beginning stages or even later. Donna lives in London, UK so the NHS is very different from the US. She is originally from New York but is trying to make it in the music field. She has a job with DKNY now. I enjoyed it even tho it is strictly a biography of her day to day experiences with MS.

I have read all the other books on the medical side of MS so this was a welcome change and I just read it for the pleasure of a new writer telling all.

BTW: Edited to state that I am not in the business of rabble rousing only trying to get the facts about the censoring of the book title.

Gabriella
            Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-26-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Sounds fun.

Mike, is the b word okay as an adjective/

Comment

Just think how you use your words. If your context does not violate our Terms of Service, then your post should be ok.

Referring to a female dog is fine.

Nothing hurtful or derogatory in any manner will be tolerated.
                "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Clarification-It is a Book Title!

The title of the book IS "Awkward *****". How can this not be allowed? I'm not referring to a dog or using it in any slang manner. It is all over the internet as she ....Marlo Donato Parmalee has made videos for the MS Society in the UK explaining various aspects of living with MS. They can be found on You Tube! This is getting ridiculous! It's not about using the word in this post to describe a "dog". She has used it in the Webster's meaning of a bad tempered woman which is what I am beginning to become with all these comments from administration. It is about being able to post the title of a book.

Now this post has replies from both Mike and David and I don't see the reason because I am just trying to post the NAME of a book! If it is fine to use the word to describe a female dog why is it being filtered when it is the title of a book?

Are you telling me you can unfilter the word if it is used to describe a dog but cannot unfilter it when it is the title of a BOOK??? I am beginning to become a ***** myself with all this much to do about nothing!

This is not the way to start the week when one has MS. It's time for a break!

Here is a video by Marlo about her book which sums up how she feels and how I feel as well:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

If you get a message that the video is not available....Go to the right side of the screen and you can click on the video on the right side entitled "Awkward B is back". It is a 5 minute video. She has some other videos about MS there as well.

Gabriella
                  Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriella7 View Post
                    The title of the book IS "Awkward *****". How can this not be allowed? I'm not referring to a dog or using it in any slang manner. It is all over the internet as she ....Marlo Donato Parmalee has made videos for the MS Society in the UK explaining various aspects of living with MS. They can be found on You Tube! This is getting ridiculous! It's not about using the word in this post to describe a "dog". She has used it in the Webster's meaning of a bad tempered woman which is what I am beginning to become with all these comments from administration. It is about being able to post the title of a book.

Now this post has replies from both Mike and David and I don't see the reason because I am just trying to post the NAME of a book! If it is fine to use the word to describe a female dog why is it being filtered when it is the title of a book?

Are you telling me you can unfilter the word if it is used to describe a dog but cannot unfilter it when it is the title of a BOOK??? I am beginning to become a ***** myself with all this much to do about nothing!

This is not the way to start the week when one has MS. It's time for a break!

Here is a video by Marlo about her book which sums up how she feels and how I feel as well:

If you don't get it with your mouse you can click on the video on the right side entitled "Awkward B is back". It is a 5 minute video

Gabriella
                    Gabriella, please do not put words in my mouth.

Nowhere did Mike or myself say we were going to alter the filter for any reason. All currently censored text will remain so.
                    I said that members must keep the context of the words they choose to stay within the Terms of Service. This was primarily in response to the post previous to mine, however it does apply to the whole thread.
                    In saying that referring to a female dog was fine, (using the word btch), this means that is an example of acceptable context. It does not mean there are not others that would also be okay.
                    The only thing I mentioned in that post that would not be tolerated was any context that was hurtful or derogatory.

I agree on one point, there is much ado about nothing surrounding this topic.
                    "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Female Dog

is a *****! Awkward ***** is a book and I'm a complaining *****! Screw IT!

Go to the right side of the page and click on the video Awkward B is back and you can see Marlo explaining her book. You may get a message that the video you requested is not available.....just ignore and left click on the video. The other 2 videos are interesting also.
                      Last edited by Gabriella7; 09-28-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Reread

I just finished reading "Awkward B*i*t*c*h" for the second time and enjoyed it even more. Must be my cognitive function is improving and I am getting better at filtering information.

Gabriella

Comment

Thanks for the link G, I may read her book too.
                          Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Reading for Pleasure

After 10 years of reading for information about MS, I am now just reading for the pleasure of hearing other people relate their journey with MS. Marlo is having a baby any moment now but is working on a second book and I am looking forward to reading it. With a new baby it may take a while.

I enjoy her honesty and let it all hang out approach to living with MS. It is a serious disease and we need to let our hair down now and then and really tell it like it is. If I am having a crappy day I plan on letting it be known. I have covered my disease up with the "I'm just fine" answer for way too long.

Let's get honest about how this damn disease makes our lives different from those who can climb mountains because they take Rebif, Avonex, or any other of the DMD's. After all most of them get paid to say those things in order to sell more of x, y, or z drug!

All the MS magazines are covered up with the advertisements from the BigPharma companies. Most of these drugs don't work but 30% of the time and have many side effects. I was on A for 9 months and it was the worst 9 months of my life! I know everybody is different but I didn't make any gains during that time only more progression.

I've been the drunken b*i*t*c*h lately and running into walls and weaving and wobbling while walking in public. I am saved by my cane.

Gabriella

Comment

Working...
                            X