Thread: A simple partial or what?

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Default A simple partial or what?

I have had complex partials for 40 or so years. I get a 'funny feeling' afterwards so I know I had a sz. However I have asked my family to tell me if indeed I have one. Lot's of times I'm alone when I get that feeling so I think 'I guess I had a sz.' The other day my DD was here then left as I was 'having that feeling'. Later I asked & she said I didn't have a sz. so now I wonder if some of those feelings are simple partials or what?
    Lorraine (lor)

Thumbs up That's a great question? I would love to know that one too!!!

What a great question? My Neurogolist has really never explained to me the difference? Although now after three years of having both and doing my own homework, I do know, but still cannot tell you when I have a SP or CP?? After thinking about this I am wondering how good my neuroglist really is?

Distinguished Community Member

Those "funny feelings" are my simple partials. I started with those as they are very localized and do not involve much surrounding tissue. The complex partials came later and they do involve more surrounding tissue and affect consciousness. The funny feelings are all by themseives seizures, and if they progress, they can affect my consciousness or can occur by themselves. That has happened only rarely since I had surgery. CP can occur by themselves too without the funny feeling. Some people experience their simple partials differently however. If you do not know you had one, it wasn't just simple partial. Consciousness is not affected by those. Tattoo
    Last edited by Tattoo2; 09-21-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Hi Lor,

Many times before I have a cp sz. I will have a simple partial (aura) sz. where I get a funny feeling in my stomach, or I will smell odd odours like natural gas, or something burning. Once in awhile I will be sitting in my home and
    the room doesn't look familar to me and that's when I concentrate and tell myself over and over your are at home sitting in the living room or where ever I'm at. If any of this sounds familar it could be a sp sz. and the moment it happens
    I've learned to tighten the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists and this will stop the sz.
    I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I get those funny feelings AFTER I have a cp sz or else, just the funny feeling.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those funny feelings are complex partials.

"Funny feelings" is a fairly good way to describe a simple partial...
    Sensations that come out of nowhere.
    It could be a smell, a taste, vertigo... different sensations for different people.

The difference is that with a complex partial, you lose a chunk of time.
    You might want to talk to your doc about the difference between a simple partial seizure and a post ictal state.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Dave, Thats what I thought (that they were CP's) till Lisa told me I didn't have a seizure while she was with me & I got 'that feeling'. I have told my Dr. that when I get those feelings while alone, I tell myself 'you must have had a CP'. I get those feelings after I have definately had a CP too (like recently I had that feeling in the bedroom right after I came from a shower. My dh told me I had a sz. then showed me the proof..I fell while getting out of the shower but he was in there shaving & caught me after I broke a plastic shower curtain holder by pulling on the curtain as I got out. Of course I don't remember that part.)

Thankyou guys
    Lorraine (lor)

Hi Lor,

Often times I would have a sz. when I was taking a shower or just after I got out of the shower my epi told me that hot water can trigger sz. for some people and this is what happened to me. You might want to make the
    water a little cooler to help reduce your sz. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

OK....thankyou Sue
    Lorraine (lor)