• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Agate:)

Thanks, Mike!
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

I like the idea of a "Thanks" and more emotions too.

I am not big on Facebook and Twitter. These don't address why I have come back to BrainTalk and that is chatting with people with health issues and problems and things we have in common. Not like on Facebook, just people wanting to be seen and want attention, look at me, etc. Nothing of real individual importance can be said there or answered from others received that is believable. When I first got on BrainTalk this is what is was all about.

Mike, This site was a life savior for me. I ran across BrainTalk one evening in the early 2003. I felt so alone, then and one night I ran across BrainTalk the people in the chat that night saved me, my life, truly. I had totally given up. I stayed up till early morning with the people on that night, crying and typing and chatting. I laid down for a couple of hours and was up by 9am. It was the first time in about 15 years that (I don't really know to describe this) that mentally I felt like I was in my body. I called everyone in my family and told them that your daughter is here today, your mother is here today, your sister is here today, my best friend and my husband your wife is here today. I told him I don't care how many pain pills I have to take today I want to enjoy being me as long as possible. My sister and friend came over we played ping pong and ate dinner. I had a wonderful day. I was gone again the next day and I have not been back since. I have started crying now. (here is where an emotion would be handy) I would love to be me all of the time. Mentally I don't understand why it is this way. Mike now that I am back I will not leave again.

Comment

Beautiful Sandra and if I had 'like', 'been there' and '((((hug))))' buttons I would hit them all. Even more glad that you found your way back though I am sad you have to be here. ((((((((hugs)))))))))

Comment

hey everyone !

there is a thread called "why do you prefer facebook?" in the child neurology forum that is covering some of these aspects of what people feel about bt's format and other things. it is an interesting read and i'm sure more input would be welcomed.

jeannie
          WE ARE BT!
          "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
          "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
          "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

For myself, even if we had the thanks etc, none would be as lovely as Sallys' typed Thank You and especially when she adds the smile.
            :o

I go with the majority no biggie to me at all. I suspect I might end up just clicking the thanks some of the time so folks will know I am still around tho. Especially the harder the typing, sitting etc gets. But hey, that will work also. .
            Last edited by joy; 03-04-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Just a couple of other ideas, and I hope I'm not trying too hard to push my ideas on everyone. I'd like to toss them into the hopper if there's a hopper and see if they appeal to anyone--that is my only reason for posting about them.

In a couple of other (MS) message boards I know of, the Profile page provides more of an opportunity for each person to disclose personal details. There is a photo album, for instance, and the average number of posts per day is clearly shown.

Also, in the third line of the bar above the message window when you post, you see a bunch of options that I have a feeling most people never use. With the possible exception of the subscript and superscript and "Insert horizontal line," could these be removed?

It's fairly daunting to come here and see all of the options there and (probably) not know what many of them are about.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

would it not make more sense to find out what it all means before we do away with them?

I'm not seeing what you describe so I have nothing to add.
                Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
                'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Comment

Jo6, of course we should understand what the icons are for before we suggest getting rid of them. I'm sorry I was assuming that people had hovered over them with the mouse for a clue as to their use. It's all too easy to make assumptions about the Internet and the way people use it.

Even to know what I'm referring to, you need to be in the Enhanced Interface mode. If you click on Settings at the top right of the screen, then click on General Settings on the left of the page that comes up, then scroll down on the right to Miscellaneous Options, you'll find Message Editor Interface. If you select the first option, Enhanced Interface - full WYSIWYG editing, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm sorry it's so complicated, but I've found it to be very worth while going through this hocuspocus because posting is a lot easier.

If you get into the Enhanced mode, you see three rows of icons at the top of your message window when you start to post.

The first three are: Table, Table Properties, and Delete Table. I haven't noticed many people setting up tables here but maybe it happens more than I know.

The next six icons are Insert Row Before, Insert Row After, Delete Rows, Insert Column Before, Insert Column After, and Delete Columns. Here again, I wonder how often these are going to be used. I can't get any of these six icons to do anything but I don't know what I'm doing.
                  Last edited by agate; 03-08-2012, 11:11 AM.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

That's why there is an enhanced option, for people to use them if they so desire. We won't be removing any of those "shortcuts".
                    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Ok the thank you option is now enabled :)

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                      Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Hee hee I luvs it. Now I have to ask what the heck your trophies are. Now I have to go back to my stuff and see what I missed lol.

Arcade?!!! What the...... I missed something.
                        Last edited by houghchrst; 03-09-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Someone on the MS board has found that the Thank You option doesn't show up if you're using the Biggie style.

Maybe that could be fixed?
                          Last edited by agate; 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

My first guess to why the "Thanks" feature is not visible in the Biggie style is that by default the "Thanks" button was on the right. Mike had to move it to the left to make it show up. This probably needs to be done individually within each style.
                            "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Fixed (replying and thanking with Biggie style ).

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Originally posted by houghchrst View Post
                                Hee hee I luvs it. Now I have to ask what the heck your trophies are. Now I have to go back to my stuff and see what I missed lol.

Arcade?!!! What the...... I missed something.
                                The arcade system is in closed beta testing. A few issues to figure out and fix and then it will be open for everyone :)

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Working...
                                X