Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do We Have A Thank You Option?

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Default Do We Have A Thank You Option?

On another VB Forum, we have a thank you reply option at the bottom of our posts. If you read a post you like, but may be too tired to post a reply, you can hit the TY button and your name shows up at the bottom of the post as a "thank you". Sort of like a FB "like" button.

I think it's a wonderful thing for us who may have difficulty typing, some days. It shows that we were curtious enough to read the post.:o

Mike??
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Hmmm David and I will have to discuss this further. We had a brief talk about "reputation" and "thank you" before going live and felt that it had a big potential to create "cliques" and/or make someone feel bad due to the amount (or lack of) "rep" or "thanks". I do see where it would be a good thing to have the thank you enabled, but am not so sure it's the best thing to have on a forum dealing with such serious medical conditions and the emotions they create.

I'll let you know what we end up deciding, we might go with a trial period, we might not.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmmm David and I will have to discuss this further. We had a brief talk about "reputation" and "thank you" before going live and felt that it had a big potential to create "cliques" and/or make someone feel bad due to the amount (or lack of) "rep" or "thanks". I do see where it would be a good thing to have the thank you enabled, but am not so sure it's the best thing to have on a forum dealing with such serious medical conditions and the emotions they create.

I'll let you know what we end up deciding, we might go with a trial period, we might not.
    They disabled all the other stuff and just left the Thank You enabled, for the reasons you specified. It would be nice if you could do that, without all the rep and counting stuff??:)
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 09-20-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Love, Sally

Default Is "Like" an option?

Two other web sites I know of have a similar feature but they only show a 'count' using a method that is much like, perhaps too much like, well "Like."

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a brief talk about "reputation" and "thank you" before going live and felt that it had a big potential to create "cliques" and/or make someone feel bad due to the amount (or lack of) "rep" or "thanks". I do see where it would be a good thing to have the thank you enabled, but am not so sure it's the best thing to have on a forum dealing with such serious medical conditions and the emotions they create.
    I agree. The Thank you feature can be hurtful.

If I were posting on a board like this one and looking for some replies, I wouldn't care about how many times a poster had been thanked. I would care about what that poster had to say. Having Thanks as an option on the screen distracts from the content of a person's post. There are plenty of distractions already, around the edges of a post, but most of them seem to be necessary. I wouldn't want any more of them though.

Just my opinion, though!
    Last edited by agate; 09-23-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

I don't understand what is so hurtful about thanking someone for their post?

I agree that the thank yous shouldn't be counted as a separate popularity vote, though.
    Love, Sally

Blog Entries

It's not the Thank you option itself so much as the fact that there are always going to be posts that don't get any Thank yous--most likely just because they got overlooked.

If you were trying to be especially nice and thank lots of people so that nobody would feel left out, you'd spend a good bit of your time just thanking people for their posts. It might seem a bit pointless after a while.

Or at least that's how it seems to me.

If I had posted in a thread and noticed that everyone else's post in that thread had a number of thank yous but mine never had any, I might feel hurt about that. Particularly if I didn't know much about how message boards are, and a lot of people really don't have much experience with message boards.

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I have been spending too much time on Facebook cause every time I pop in here I wanna hit the like button then catch myself lol. I think it would be great for those who have started a thread and just want to thank responders for their input. A quick acknowledgement that input has been read and appreciated but no response for now, maybe no time or in no condition.

Ahhh I wanna 'I'm feeling' button lol, so if I feel biotchy or festive or whatever then I can say so. You know, just for fun lol. I know, more important things lol.

Also what happened to the Grief Forum. I coulda really used it the last few days.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 10-07-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm bringing up this thread because I'm having second thoughts about the Thank You option.

I've been wondering how the MS forum could be better and why some long-term members are dwindling away or just not coming back.

Some other message boards are more user-friendly than this one, it seems to me. They're easier to navigate.

Now that some of the initial problems have been fixed, maybe a Thank You option should be considered?

It might help people to feel as if their posts matter. People come here and post and get upset if there are no replies or the replies don't come along fast enough. I've been watching the Thank You option at work elsewhere and I've changed my mind about it. I think it would help to have that option here.

Thank you Agate:o
    Love, Sally

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast