Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asbestos Triggering Seizures

Hi Folks,

It's been a long time since I've posted here and I hope all of you are doing well. If any of you have any knowledge of asbestos I could use your help because since I have
    been back to work this September at the public school where I work I have had a great increase in my sz. I work during the summer for the school also but I'm in a different
    building and have had very few sz. but it seems like every school yr. when I go back to the old building the sz. increase and I know that they didn't remove all the asbestos
    in the walls. Also a lot of my co workers have been complaining about headaches. What I'm really wondering is have any of you ever heard of asbestos triggering sz. for a person.
    Here's wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

((((((Sue)))))) ~

I am so sorry that your seizures have increased.

Since I have never heard of asbestos triggering seizures, I Googled "seizures+asbestos." Just scanning a few sites/articles, it would seem that it can trigger seizures.

Other possible culprits might include: lead, mold, paint, varnish, wood stain, cleaning chemicals, and disinfectants. Has the building been sprayed for insects? Has the grass been fertilized or given weed killer?

Since your co-workers are complaining of headaches, and your seizures have increased, you might want to consider all of you meeting with your principal to discuss your symptoms and request an investigation into what is causing them.

Before you have this meeting, you and your co-workers might want to peruse the OSHA site:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

You might be working in a "sick building."

For your health and safety, as well as the health and safety of the students, your building should be inspected.

Sending prayers that your seizures stop, and that you and your co-workers can find the source of the problem.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Rose,

Thank you so much for the great info. I will be sure to look into this matter and what also worries me is a new student who has to have a nurse because the student goes
      into severe sz. and has to be givin a shot to come out of the sz. All I know is I have had 5 sz. in one week and my co workers have complained of headaches. I do know that
      they painted some of the school this summer and that could be a problem also but I think it's asbestos because this has been going on yr. after yr. since I've been in the school
      which is 21 yrs. Thanks again for the info. I appreciate all your help. You are a true friend. May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Asbestos is harmless AS LONG AS LEFT ALONE. It is dangerous when its long strands becomes febrile WHILE being removed. Again it is dangerous while being removed and should never be used. In place, undisturbed ,Asbestos has not been causing your problems for 21 years. I agree with Earth Mother 2 Angels.

Linnie

Comment

Hi Linnie,

I heard from my Dr. and she told me that the asbestos wasn't triggering sz. that she knew of but they did paint the school this summer and maybe it's the paint that's bothering me and some
          of my co workers. I plan on speaking with the head of maintence to find out what kind of paint they used I do know that leaded paint can cause some problems for people. Thanks again and
          May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

((((((Sue)))))) ~

From the little I read on my Google search, Linnie is correct that if asbestos is left undisturbed, it shouldn't cause problems.

When you speak to the head of maintenance, ask him if any chemicals have been used in the building, as well as the kind of paint used this summer. Might also ask him to check for gas leaks.

And do talk to your principal, along with your co-workers, to inform her/him that you all have these symptoms.

Hope you get to the bottom of this and that your seizures abate.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Rose,

Today I have a union meeting and we are going to look into this matter. Yesterday another staff became very sick and I had to get the staff into the nurses office. I have a feeling the administrators
              will refuse to tell me anything because they don't want staff to know about this. Thanks for all of your support and understand. You are a great friend. May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Hi Folks,

I spoke with the head custodian today and he told me they used unleaded paint in the school but what I find strange is 4 staff that I work with were out sick today, something is going on
                and I think I'm going to bring the county health dept. in so they can check things out for the safety of students and staff. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

((((((Sue)))))) ~

I'm not sure, but I doubt that leaded paint is even produced these days. But paint, which isn't low VOC, can cause problems like headaches, nausea, respiratory distress, and even seizures.

Obviously, something is causing illness among the staff, and that needs to be investigated. There is power in numbers, so all staff, who have been affected by whatever it is, need to ban together and demand a building inspection. As I mentioned, you may be working in a sick building. Be sure to check out the OSHA website for information and ideas.

Good luck in getting to the bottom of this mystery. Let us know what you find out.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hi Sue,

I was raised in New York during the nineties. My stepfather worked as an asbestos remover during those years. Before my mother's relationship with my stepfather, i had no record of ever having a seizure. During their relationship, I suffered constantly with convulsions. The doctors never identified the cause. They separated for a year and we lived in another state. During this time, i had not one single episode. When they got back together, it started up again.
                    A few years later they separated for good and I never had another seizure.
                    My stepfather's mask and other equipaments were always present in the house. I can't say for sure if it was indeed the asbestos that triggered it, but I'm pretty certain it was. Good luck. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Nelson

Comment

Hi Nelson,
                      Welcome to the forum! Thank you so much for all of the info. I find it very interesting. I will have to make an appt. with my Epileptologist and see if this is what has increased my sz.
                      and if it is the school is going to have to deal with some legal business. I do know that at least 10 or more of my co workers over the yrs. have ended up with cancer and it makes me wonder
                      if this could also be what's causing the problem.
                      Since I go to a university hospital where students are learning this may be a good topic for the Drs. to teach the students. In the meantime try taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day
                      I found it did wonders reducing my sz. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

I don't know anything about seizures but it would not surprise me if something that toxic triggered them.
                        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Hi Sue,

I was just checking in to see if you ever got to the bottom of it. Hope you are doing well and I wish you the best of luck.

Nelson

Comment

Hi Shimada,

Thanks for dropping me a line, yes I did find out what was causing my seizures and headaches, come to find out I'm cell phone sensitive which means the frequency that cell phones
                            use can trigger seizures for me especially when many people are using cell phones at the same time and this is what was going on in school both students and staff were using there
                            phones and in the long run that triggered seizures for me. My Epileptologist did a special e.e.g on me and he purposely had staff use there phones while I was having the e.e.g. done
                            but I didn't know it and each time they used their phone the spikes went really high in the e.e.g showing I was cell phone sensitive.
                            Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Hi Porkette,

Sorry to hear about the increase in seizures. I certainly can understand that, am dealing with it too. I hope you have otherwise been well.

I can't remember hearing of asbestos directly being a trigger for a seizures. Headaches and migraines yes.
                              I do know that when doing asbestos abatement cleanups in California they are pretty strict, any and all that's exposed must be removed or rendered harmless. There are many regulations that must be followed in just the process of preparing and cleanup of & doing the the job itself.
                              "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Working...
                              X