Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Asbestos Triggering Seizures

  1. #1
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518

    Default Asbestos Triggering Seizures

    Hi Folks,

    It's been a long time since I've posted here and I hope all of you are doing well. If any of you have any knowledge of asbestos I could use your help because since I have
    been back to work this September at the public school where I work I have had a great increase in my sz. I work during the summer for the school also but I'm in a different
    building and have had very few sz. but it seems like every school yr. when I go back to the old building the sz. increase and I know that they didn't remove all the asbestos
    in the walls. Also a lot of my co workers have been complaining about headaches. What I'm really wondering is have any of you ever heard of asbestos triggering sz. for a person.
    Here's wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

    Sue

  2. #2
    Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,040
    Blog Entries
    1

    Lightbulb

    ((((((Sue)))))) ~

    I am so sorry that your seizures have increased.

    Since I have never heard of asbestos triggering seizures, I Googled "seizures+asbestos." Just scanning a few sites/articles, it would seem that it can trigger seizures.

    Other possible culprits might include: lead, mold, paint, varnish, wood stain, cleaning chemicals, and disinfectants. Has the building been sprayed for insects? Has the grass been fertilized or given weed killer?

    Since your co-workers are complaining of headaches, and your seizures have increased, you might want to consider all of you meeting with your principal to discuss your symptoms and request an investigation into what is causing them.

    Before you have this meeting, you and your co-workers might want to peruse the OSHA site:

    https://www.osha.gov/

    You might be working in a "sick building."

    For your health and safety, as well as the health and safety of the students, your building should be inspected.

    Sending prayers that your seizures stop, and that you and your co-workers can find the source of the problem.

    Love & Light,

    Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

  3. #3
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Hi Rose,

    Thank you so much for the great info. I will be sure to look into this matter and what also worries me is a new student who has to have a nurse because the student goes
    into severe sz. and has to be givin a shot to come out of the sz. All I know is I have had 5 sz. in one week and my co workers have complained of headaches. I do know that
    they painted some of the school this summer and that could be a problem also but I think it's asbestos because this has been going on yr. after yr. since I've been in the school
    which is 21 yrs. Thanks again for the info. I appreciate all your help. You are a true friend. May God Bless You!

    Sue

  4. #4
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Asbestos is harmless AS LONG AS LEFT ALONE. It is dangerous when its long strands becomes febrile WHILE being removed. Again it is dangerous while being removed and should never be used. In place, undisturbed ,Asbestos has not been causing your problems for 21 years. I agree with Earth Mother 2 Angels.


    Linnie

  5. #5
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Hi Linnie,

    I heard from my Dr. and she told me that the asbestos wasn't triggering sz. that she knew of but they did paint the school this summer and maybe it's the paint that's bothering me and some
    of my co workers. I plan on speaking with the head of maintence to find out what kind of paint they used I do know that leaded paint can cause some problems for people. Thanks again and
    May God Bless You!

    Sue

  6. #6
    Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,040
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ((((((Sue)))))) ~

    From the little I read on my Google search, Linnie is correct that if asbestos is left undisturbed, it shouldn't cause problems.

    When you speak to the head of maintenance, ask him if any chemicals have been used in the building, as well as the kind of paint used this summer. Might also ask him to check for gas leaks.

    And do talk to your principal, along with your co-workers, to inform her/him that you all have these symptoms.

    Hope you get to the bottom of this and that your seizures abate.

    Love & Light,

    Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

  7. #7
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Hi Rose,

    Today I have a union meeting and we are going to look into this matter. Yesterday another staff became very sick and I had to get the staff into the nurses office. I have a feeling the administrators
    will refuse to tell me anything because they don't want staff to know about this. Thanks for all of your support and understand. You are a great friend. May God Bless You!

    Sue

  8. #8
    Distinguished Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    518

    Default

    Hi Folks,

    I spoke with the head custodian today and he told me they used unleaded paint in the school but what I find strange is 4 staff that I work with were out sick today, something is going on
    and I think I'm going to bring the county health dept. in so they can check things out for the safety of students and staff. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

    Sue

  9. #9
    Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,040
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ((((((Sue)))))) ~

    I'm not sure, but I doubt that leaded paint is even produced these days. But paint, which isn't low VOC, can cause problems like headaches, nausea, respiratory distress, and even seizures.

    Obviously, something is causing illness among the staff, and that needs to be investigated. There is power in numbers, so all staff, who have been affected by whatever it is, need to ban together and demand a building inspection. As I mentioned, you may be working in a sick building. Be sure to check out the OSHA website for information and ideas.

    Good luck in getting to the bottom of this mystery. Let us know what you find out.

    Love & Light,

    Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

  10. #10

    Default

    Hi Sue,

    I was raised in New York during the nineties. My stepfather worked as an asbestos remover during those years. Before my mother's relationship with my stepfather, i had no record of ever having a seizure. During their relationship, I suffered constantly with convulsions. The doctors never identified the cause. They separated for a year and we lived in another state. During this time, i had not one single episode. When they got back together, it started up again.
    A few years later they separated for good and I never had another seizure.
    My stepfather's mask and other equipaments were always present in the house. I can't say for sure if it was indeed the asbestos that triggered it, but I'm pretty certain it was. Good luck. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

    Nelson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


BTC Inc's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy

The material on this site is for information & support purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice provided by a licensed health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything that you find online.