Thread: Plavix failure

New Community Member

Default Plavix failure

Been a while since I visited this forum. Missed you all and happy to see some are doing well (Ging, I hope you are recovering well. I'm happy something has been done for you now:o).

I had stent put in for a right ICA aneurysm and had minor strokes shortly thereafter. This was due to the stent thrombosing despite having been on Plavix before and after the procedure. My right artery in the neck leading to and around the stent is blocked and I was told will probably stay that way. After extensive blood tests to rule out possible blood clotting disorders (all normal but one result still pending), doctors tell me it might be a case of Plavix failing me. I am not one who takes any medications lightly. The strongest med I took before all these is just over the counter paracetamol. As aneurysms tend to recur/regrow and if I need to undergo another procedure, will I risk another stroke because Plavix will not do what it is supposed to do? Doctors say there is no alternative to Plavix (but a drug called Prasugrel is similar to Plavix). Should I just hope for the best next time? I only have one working artery now. I believe that candidates for stenting should be checked for this before their procedure.
    Last edited by crisP_1967; 09-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Wow - there's a delima for sure Cris

I am sure not familiar with that. I have heard of Plavix Rebound - is all.

You sure have had a rough time of it that's for sure.

I hope someone else has suggestions for you. Hang in there.

My Best
    Tropical Trish
    7mm Basilar Tip~Coiled & Stent Nov4/08 Watch List 2nd Ane
    One of the great labor-saving devices of today is tomorrow!

New Community Member

Hi Trish, I hope you are well.
    I have just read another response from another forum regarding this which got me thinking now. Did I have enough dose of Plavix and aspirin to work before my procedure? I only had 2 of each - one the night before and another the morning of the surgery. Someone had 10 doses! Their blood levels for this was also checked before and during. I had blood tests but what they were for I don't know. One thing's for certain, I will ask my doctors next appointment and maybe get my post op reports. Curiouser and curiouser.
    Last edited by crisP_1967; 09-10-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Chris, I am sorry about your plavix situation! I am having vision problems from a clot that formed
    In the new stent during the coiling.
    Chris, for an entire year. I had one working artery , it was the left(smaller) ventricle artery that was
    suppling the blood To my brain, the doctors went in and removed the clot that had formed and
    Blocked the artery , I was on plavix for a week before that first surgery and heparin and still the
    Clot formed, the body is amazing , when it can clot when it seances an injury no matter
    What the chemicals you are own, trust me I never seem to follow procedure ,ever! I hope they
    Can find out what the problem is, but until then, I have been there and they cam retreive
    The clot and reopen the artery, they did it to me. Okay got to rest, eyes are very tired, thanks for the
    Good wishes,when I am better I might can tell you more about how all that happened to me and
    We might find a common denominator , hugs, GING :)