Thread: Can the government legally induce seizures?

Hybrid View

Default Can the government legally induce seizures?

Seriously, when you have an eeg, how many of you are immediately set off into a sz. with the strobes? I am. I have been every eeg in the past 40 years. (That is a lot of eegs). So, ok, I basically just have short absences and some partials and it "shouldn't" be a big deal to me since I try to avoid triggers... but fluorescent lights flash and it is a darn big trigger!

Ok, so now we have the govt. basically banning incandescent light bulbs (with every plant here shut down in the US) and "wanting" us to use the energy efficient ones. Doesn't that equate to the govt. forcing us to be sick? I just cannot have the fluorescent bulbs ( any kind) in the house, period. . I am waiting to see other options for the energy efficient bulbs but I am furious this has occurred.. Personally, I do not believe we are NOT a minority of people -- we just are still a "let's not talk about that disease". I have already contacted my congresswoman on it ( my senators are jerks). How about all of you doing the same?

Fluorescent > causes seizures among many ( just like strobes) with the flashes > the govt. is making me ill!

Distinguished Community Member

Default Photosenstive

Hi Judy,

I'm glad to see you made it to brain talk. It sounds like you are photosensitive just like I am and that means certain colors and bright flashing lights will trigger sz. I've reported this problem to the Supreme Court Judge in my area
    and he told me that there's nothing that can be done because people with epilepsy are only a small amount of people compared to you every day person. What we all need to do is get together and start writing letters to NBC Dateline or
    CBS 60 Minutes and start speaking up together as a team this is the only way I think anything will get done because there's strength in numbers. What bothers me a lot is that I'm cell phone sensitive and when to many people are using
    their cell phones then I start to have sz. after sz. I've spoken up about this at my job and they could care less so I'm holding them liable is anything bad happens to me. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

People don't even know what epilepsy is or realize how many have it, they couldn't care less. If they know they or a loved one could get it (like falling & hitting their head. I remember someone here said they earlier were in a car accident) maybe things would change.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member

I have all Energy Star flourescent bulbs in my home instead of incandescent. I am not photoenstive that I am aware of, but I notice a difference in the light from the typical flourescent bulbs and the newer Energ Star ones The light from the new ones is much softer and whiter like from reglar light bulbs. The older florescent one have a very sharp bright light with a slight blueish tint to me. I wonder if these
    Energy Star bulbs that they should be changing to would cause the same problem to the same degree as the older ones. Also the flicker that can occur with the older bulbs as they start to light from one end and gradually lights all the way would be a problem. The Energy Star ones may not do that. My bulbs just turn on immediately like incandescent ones did. No need to flicker. Checkspell checked quit. on the type bulbs they are installing in our areas of concern. Just a thought. Tattoo
    Last edited by Tattoo2; 09-11-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spell checker went back to school.

There should be an exemption from having to use such bulbs for people who have medical proof that they are epileptic.The only problem i can see is a possible increase in the price of non energy saving bulbs as energy saving bulbs become the norm.
    Yet inside there is this perpetual nagging doubt;
    the feeling we are possessed by a 'subtle lack of togetherness''.

Distinguished Community Member howdydave's Avatar

Default ACLU

Howdy Judy!

What you need to do is talk to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)...

Maybe notice would be taken if a class action suit were initiated on behalf of everybody with photosensitive epilepsy.
    Last edited by howdydave; 09-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.
    Dave
    Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
    www.howdydave.com

Community Member

I am not triggered by CFL's or tubes...BUT I have been buying a supply of bulbs in preparation of the ban. I have the common 60's, 3 way's and other strengths I use.

I don't think the Congress will void the ban, or exempt people sadly. Best advice I have is start stocking up. In 2012 the 100's (and above) will be banned. Following year is the 75's I think...and so on.

--Travis

It simply comes down to money for the government. They make a deal with GE. GE is now fully based in China (anyone surprised?). China supplies all of the bulbs at a bottomed out price due to slave labor (I know they have slave labor, because I am working a Mission in China). Government says it is all about saving energy and helping the environment, but really it is only money. And, oh, by the way, these things are terrible for the environment. If you break one, it sends toxic levels of mercury dust into the air, and your house, and is impossible to remove from carpets. I'm not being political, just giving you the facts.
    Craig Sheffield - Epilepsy, Chronic Pain (Shoulder, Back, Joint Hyper-mobility, Chronic Migraine), Limited Mobility, Asthma, Severe Depression, Anxiety, PTSD, Coma Survivor (2 week followed by full body paralysis. 2 months of PT and OT to walk again.)

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Headspin, I don't want this to look like a 'How Do You Know Mister' post. But I wonder do you know about the mercury & that it gets into the air & your carpet & that you can't get it out. BTW people -- they are fragile but the glass is thicker than in the incandecent ones.

Our prices are rising & jobs are decreasing because all the companies want to save money & go to China & such, to have 'it' made cheaper by that slave labor. American's want more money to do it. Those American company big guys don't care. They want to make more cheaper and sell more and make money, money, money.
    Lorraine (lor)