Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubleshooting

Hello everyone :)

I have not found the source of the outgoing email spam as of yet. I have turned off all of the bells and whistles in an effort to find the culprit. I will be turning them on one by one hoping to find out which one is compromised.
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 09-07-2014, 03:38 PM. Reason: no longer need to pm Dr. Hoch
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

:) I sent a PM. Jeanie :)

Comment

It looks like it is one of the bells and whistles that has been compromised. Which one....no clue yet. So for the moment we're just running the basic forum software while waiting to see if any more spam emails get out.

Unfortunately this means that this thread is no longer a global thread, it's only in the BrainTalk's feedback forum. So if you read this please spread the word, and remember to keep the pm to Dr. Hoch respectful.

Oh yea ... be prepared for lots of spam since none of the anti-spam toys are in play
      Last edited by Mike Weins; 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM.

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
      Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of notice during this upgrade. I figured I might as well do it while I was here Update was successful, probably won't stop the spam from going out.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Thank you to all the great members of BT for reporting spam! I know how frustrating this is for you.

Please take the time to send a pm to Dr. Hoch. Mike has the directions printed above in his first post.

If we fall a little behind, please be patient and we'll get caught up quickly!

Comment

I sent the PM to Dr. Hoch. Hope it helps.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Ok Dan said he submitted a ticket with the host, just waiting on the host to confirm now. Thanks everyone for the help

Step 1 - log in

Comment

((((((Mike, Dan, Moderator 7, David, All Moderators)))))) ~

Thank you, Dr. Hoch, for honoring our requests. Hope you're able to repair this glitch (or whatever it is) soon, Mike.

Reporting dozens of posts today really clarified for me how hard you work to keep BT spam-free. I must admit, I found the Chanel Bag spams to be rather hilarious. Napoleon Dynamite. Rambo. And Chanel Bags. The one written in Chinese was quite informative.

I do appreciate BT being a spam-free zone, now more than ever.

Thanks for all who keep us afloat.

Love & Light,

Rose

PS ~ There is No Thanks Button!!!
                Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 09-07-2014, 04:44 PM.
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Rose

The thanks button will return once everything is secured. I have turned on two of our anti-spam controls since I'm fairly certain they are clean. This should almost completely stop the bots from registering now. All we have to do is deal with those that have registered but haven't posted yet. Once they post and reveal themselves we will nuke them

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Ok so everything but emailing has been re-enabled for hunting. Expect different features to turn off or go missing from time to time. Still not sure where the problem is at the moment.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

((((((Mike)))))) ~

The Thanks Button is working again! YAY! My first Thanks goes to you, Mike, for all the effort and energy, time, and commitment you give voluntarily to BT. Bless You Mike.

And THANKS!

Love & Light,

Rose
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I would also say thanks, but you would get a swelled head, and not be able to crawl around all the gizmos like you did to get us going again. Awwwwww heck......THANKS!!!
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

:) I ditto that YAY! Thanks for all the hard work y'all do to keep us informed and running. Jeanie :)

Comment

/me deflates head so he can crawl around all the gizmos again

Ok here's the plan just not sure when I'll actually have the time to do it.

Going to uninstall all of the extras and remove any files that aren't part of the "vanilla / native" vBulletin software suite. Then I'll do some stuff behind the scenes to clear out any lingering remnants.

After that is done I'll enable all e-mail functions and wait a day or two to see if the spam is still going out. If it is, then I have to harass vBulletin some more. If the email spam stops then I'll install one add-on (thanks button first ) every couple of days watching to see if the most recently added one triggers the spam.

Once I find the one causing this mess I'll permanuke it and see if there's a replacement. If there is no replacement I will try to fix the exploit or enlist the help of others more versed than I

I hope to have the removal done before the weekend, but realistically probably won't start the removal until the weekend when I don't have to worry about classes and homework. I'm almost done with my homework for the week

Step 1 - log in

Comment

((((((Mike)))))) ~

Let's see whether I have a clue as to what you're going to do ~

You're going to strip BT down to the bare bones. Bye bye Blogs, seasonal skins, and ummm ... uhhh ... will we have Drug Info, PM's, New Posts????

Will the forums be shut down during this time, or will we still be able to post?

As a Mom and former teacher, I say, "School comes first!" And let me add, I just think it is awesome that you are attending college.

Thanks Mike for all you do! Your BT family loves and appreciates you!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X