Thread: Anti seizure medications & their half – lives + side affect’s

Default Anti seizure medications & their half – lives + side affect’s

I have been on both Lamictal and Keppra before as well as most of the other anti-seizure medications but at that time I did not realize that there were many chemicals in foods and a few strong scents in the environment that triggered my epilepsy.

Since that time my Dr. has had me on Keppra alone which did not work as not only was it not controlling my seizures I also had quite a few petite mals every day. My Dr. is now going to try me on Lamictal alone again.

I do know that when I was on Lamictal and Keppra my seizures were better controlled but the side affect’s were worse.

I have noticed the following difference & how they affect ME over time.
    (These differences are what I have noticed between Keppra and Lamictal at the same time ).
    (I will not know all the differences between Lamictal and Keppra until I am completing on Lamictal alone).

I do seem to have a better night’s sleep on Keppra alone except it was not controlling my seizures.

So far Lamictal with Keppra is definitely affecting my sleep as some night I tend to wake up and stay awake one to three hours. Also I wake up a fair amount earlier (6-7 in the morning) whereas when I was on Keppra alone I would wake up on average(8-9 in the morning). It’s possible that when I do begin to take Lamictal alone again and get completely off Keppra I will notice that my sleep will improve. (That is what I am hoping at least).

I also read on the Internet that because one person (probably others) tried the following and it seemed to work for him I might for me also . Taking Lamictal three-four times per day in smaller dosages which gave him less side effects and it because he said that his system metabolized the Lamictal faster than the average person it had the medication in his blood stream was on a more constant basis.

What I what really like to find out is does anybody know of any website that gives a complete listing of all of the anti seizure medications their side effects and to me right now all of their half lives.

In the past I heard that Lamictal had a much longer half live than Keppra - is that so ?.

(My dosages are Lamictal 100 mg twice per day Keppra = 2,000 mgs four times per day)

When I was taking Lamictal and Keppra together I was taking Lamictal 150 mg’s but only ones per day and the Keppra = 2,000 mg’s twice per day . I have heard that some people only need to take Lamictal once per day whereas others twice or more (I would guess that it all depends on the persons metabolism.

Thank you all Craig

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Craig,
    I don't know if this is what you are looking for but right about at the top of our page is a place titled Drug Info. you can check that out if that would be of any info.
    I will tell you I have been on at least 11 or more different seizure (sz.) meds and I found out I was drug resistant to all sz. meds out on the market as of now.
    I had a DNA test done and this is what you may want to do. Ask your Dr. to do a DNA test on you and they will take a few tubes of blood and get some salvia
    from the inside of your mouth this will be sent to the lab and they will be able to check out your body chemistry along with the enzymes in your body and after they
    see all of that they can match that up to the best sz. med for you with the least side effects.
    One thing that has done wonders for me is taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day it has reduced my sz. greatly. Also stay away from NutraSweet because that
    causes more electrical activity in the brain and for some people it can trigger sz. I also found that cutting back on carbs and starch foods along with foods with MSG
    have helped me out a lot. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You.

Sue