Thread: Questions about Lamictal

Hybrid View

Default Questions about Lamictal

My Neuro is considering putting me on Lamictal as the Keppra I have been on for many years is and not working.

In asking this question I realize that everyone is different so Id just want to get a rough I dea & I would like to know what are some of the average doses that people have had success on with Lamictal.

Also I have heard that Lamictal is sometimes used in conjunction with Keppra to control seizures and if so if you could tell me the minimum dosages that work.

The problem I have is that in my younger years I was overdosed on Dilantin and as a
    result I have now have ataxia resulting from the medication , so therefore I am more sensitive to side effects of any medication. So dosages that may work for the average person may not work for me, And if I go to high on a medication I will get bad side effects eg - everything like dizziness or sickness is multiplied.

Thanks for all your replies Craig

Distinguished Community Member

My wifes seizure activities were not suppressed by her previous medications. So about ten years ago, her epileptologist prescribed lamictal as a replacement. After a titration period, her regimen was 800 mg a day, taken as 300 mg, 200 mg and 300 mg (morning, mid-day and bed-time).

Three times to maintain a steady blood level.

Yes, lamictal suppressed her seizures and continues as her mono-therapy.

Over the ten years, her regimen was reduced to 600 mg and increased to 800 mg depending on her tests. However, over three past years the regimen has been steady at 600 mg a day (200 mg thrice a day).

There have been no adverse effects.
    Last edited by Ted-T; 07-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Distinguished Community Member

Hi SCHOBAHCAN,

I was taking 200 mg. of Lamictal but I was only on the drug for 4 days and I broke out with a rash from the drug and my skin began to itch so I couldn't stay on the drug
    I went on Keppra instead and that drug increased my sz. like crazy.

To find the correct sz. med for yourself ask your neuro to do a DNA test on you where they will draw a couple of tubes of blood and wipe the inside of your mouth with a
    q-tip. These tests will be sent to the lab and they will be able to see your body chemistry and the amount of enzymes in your liver and then they can match all of that up
    to the best sz. med for you with the least side effect. I had this test done when I had tried at least 11 or more sz. meds and not a single one of them worked. Then I had
    the DNA test done and the Dr. found out I was drug resistant to all sz. meds out on the market as of now. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue