Thread: Anyone who suffers with spasticity?

Community Member serene_butterfly's Avatar

Question Anyone who suffers with spasticity?

Hey Everyone

Just wondered if anyone on the board suffers badly with spasticity, I myself have spastic paraparesis which lately have been getting worse, legs been giving way on me a lot. Also in the evenings I am having difficulty in finding an uncomfortable position to sit in due to the stiffness and weakness, finding that lying down helps. Am thinking of buying myself a footstool or something so I will be able to raise them but most of th ones i've seen aren't that high, so I was then thinking about maybe a reclining chair would be better for me??

If anyone does suffer with spasticity, has anything like a footstool or reclining chair helped ease the stiffness when sitting down for long periods of time

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I don't have spastic paraparesis but did wind up buying a lazy boy to keep my legs up and the swelling down. Also the back pain upper and lower.

I have heard wonderful things about zero gravity chairs also.

I am sure somebody will come along who knows more than me.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I have spasticity but mildly compared to what you have(I have spastic diplegia CP) I use a little wheelchair to save energy when need be. Maybe ask your PT and/or doctor if there is anything you can do while sitting to improve your lower body alignment. Good alignment helps with my spasticity.